Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
What to do?
    #11215653 - 10/09/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well I don't really know if this belongs here, but lately I have been having a lot of doubts about myself, and most of it stems from the fact that I don't know what to do in life, I don't know where my focus is. I don't know my purpose in life. I can't decide on a career. I am not that old and not that young, I feel it is almost time to make the decision before I have to work a 9-5 at a shitty job I hate for the rest of my life. So I ask you this fellow Shroomerites.. Not in a direct sense but just general questions..

Who are you?
How did you find this out?
How did you find out what you love to do?
What experiences in life are fulfilling to you?
What is your purpose in life?

These are all questions I can not fixate a answer on. I know most of the answers would come from a personal standpoint but maybe knowing how some of you came about this self knowledge might push me to find out mine. I don't know if any of you have felt the way I do, please enlighten me..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChronic7
Re: What to do? [Re: Dephect]
    #11215717 - 10/09/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:

Who are you?

Answer this, the rest answer themselves

To make it easier ill tell you who you are, so as not to waste time...

You are the universe dressed up as a 'person'

Undress

:psychsplit:

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #11215848 - 10/09/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'll do my best with this.

>Who are you?

Not sure.

>How did you find this out?

Trying this and that.

>How did you find out what you love to do?

Trying different things.

>What experiences in life are fulfilling to you?

Writing, traveling, talking to people, eating, learning, trying to liberate myself from the 9-5

>What is your purpose in life?

To have a good time. I really can't think of an honest answer other than that.

I don't know if these questions are really that clear to anyone. Humans are the only animals that can think abstractly enough to get hung up on these kind of big-scale worries. Other animals seem to be concerned with what's in front of them right now, maybe that's a good way to approach life.

I also think our generation has more freedom than any one previous to carve out our own roles. Even our parents' generation largely just chose a profession and made it their role in life. It seems to be normal for them to dislike their work. I don't want to end up like that.

Yeah I don't really know what to say about it except maybe look at it this way: your dilemma (and mine too) is the freedom we have to be what we want. It's a huge responsibility, but not a bad one to have. My strategy is try something, see how it works, try that, see how it works... etc. If you get tired of experimenting, you can settle on something tolerable but then you might lose that freedom for good.

A lot of us are in the same boat. It's probably not so bad.

Shit it's snowing outside.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What to do? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #11216221 - 10/09/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you so much for your response. All of your answers actually do make sense in a crazy way. The thing about it is I know what I love to do and I kind of have the idea of who I am, there are so many things though;

Travel
Mycology
Botany
Welding
Constructing
Architecture
Art
Music
Sustainability

All of these things and even more characterize me, but at the same time kind of throws me out of focus because I can't fixate only on one, I know I shouldn't fixate on one, but its hard to broaden my skills with all of them at once. Also it does not really help that I have not gone to school in a very long time, in fact I kind of miss it. Every night I sit and look at these questions and can not conjure a answer, yet they are so simple.

It was snowing yesterday here..

InvisibleAmber Trichome

Loc: Black Mountain
    #11217757 - 10/09/09 09:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

im in the same boat as you. i've changed my major 3 times and still have an interest in each one? perhaps you could open a music shop with only the 1337est in releases?

Edited by Amber Trichome (10/09/09 09:16 PM)

InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What to do? [Re: Amber Trichome]
    #11217909 - 10/09/09 09:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I mean I have a interest in music as in I am a DJ, and not just someone who proclaims to be one, I listen to music every second of my life, I am that freak in his room doing bumps of K bobbing his head to some Dubstep when there is no one around, and when there are people around I am doing the same thing except its with Molly and its on tables.

If I would open my own business, it would be a combination of the things.. All in the same building on different levels.

Cafe
Head Shop
Bakery/Candy Shop
Art Gallery
Basement Club (Mostly for Burner parties, don't want any rave hos in that bitch)
The top two levels would consist of a grow floor, for vegetables and other various crops and a loft to live in.

However that would take copious amounts of money.

I have also changed my major three times, from a BA Graphic Design, BA Fine Arts, to a BS Engineering Graphics.

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #11218065 - 10/09/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just practice a religion and thats the root of my identity

Anonymous #1

Re: What to do? [Re: lines]
    #11218699 - 10/10/09 12:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Who are you?

a scared little girl who is just trying to get by in life. I am weak-minded, immature, lost and confused. I try to be a nice person, but a lot of the times I don't care. Personal self esteem is what drives me to be nice. I forget and doubt easily. I am probably very scared, but my fears do not appear surfaced. I also have no idea what I am doing, what I want to do, and feel very unfulfilled.

Empirically, I feel that based on what I do know about life, I am by no means successful by my own standards. I don't feel good.

I love feeling loved, and so far that is all I really know.

the meaningful ones. the ones that are shared by good people who understand the value in them. ones of self-realization, ephiphanies and understanding. ones that FEEL real.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #11219146 - 10/10/09 03:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Who are you?

i am a 24 year old Canadian male. i am many things, and have chosen a career path in the Trades which will allow me to "be who i want + do what i want" in my own time.

i took lots of drugs, sold drugs, fucked my life and head up royally, and started to feel like a worthless piece of shit. i then went to South America and cycled in 4 countries for 4 months to "figure it out."

by trying things.

However, more to the point - it seems what you are trying to express in this question is:

"how did you find a career path that you love?"

if that is indeed the question, i will answer; I chose a career in the trades because of the freedom it allows. Make a list of what you want from your career, i wanted: freedom to dress/look/be how i want + freedom to come and go at will, money, challenging and dynamic work environment, opportunity to travel while working, and a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day.

I was always caught up on "university" and i still am, sort of. But ill tell you, i dont want the lifestyle an academic education will give me. I want to go work hard for 4 months, get dirty and make money which i will funnel into rewarding personal endeavors such as travel and owning land and a farm..

I enjoy traveling a lot.
  I like reading, learning, cooking.
  Outdoors activities...
  Exploring..
  I like connecting deeply with people.
  I like doing things for, and sharing with people.
  amongst other things..

purpose in life? - i dont know.

But what am i going to do? I am going to see the world, serve my communities, grow plants and animals, adopt children and teach them the best i can, grow old and happy and wise, and stay true.

EDIT: for me, i came to the realization that i've spent too much time not knowing. I finally just said "fuck it" signed up for welding school, and am going to go that route, at the worst i will gain practical skills and make a good wage "while i figure things out." and at the best, i will have specialized skill
set which makes me lots of money and allows me the time to do what i want.

Not to knock the people who can combine what they love with how they make money, but for me, i finally decided it would be best to seperate my interests/passions from my career path (so hopefully i dont hate my career!)

Edited by PDU (10/10/09 04:15 AM)

InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What to do? [Re: PDU]
    #11220817 - 10/10/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well often it has seemed to me that peoples purpose in life directly tie to their career path, almost like a serendipity effect. You find your purpose in life and your career comes a long. Not necessarily speaking of passions or interests either, just your purpose. Or do most try and separate them? It seems that somehow they would have to coincide for both of them to survive, or one of them would die off. Which is why I think people working the 9-5 cubicle jobs are so depressed (unless that is their purpose) because they have their career and they have their purpose in life but their career out weighs what they want to do, so what they want to do is suppressed.

I don't know.

I guess I can finally answer some questions.

Who are you?
I am a 20 year old American male who has grown up to fast, I want to be a artist, a architect, a welder, a botanist, a DJ, a independent business owner, and someday eventually graduate to a isolated tree house burner society in a dense woodland area, but I don't know where to start.

I haven't yet really.. If anything its from all the life lessons, all the drugs I have taken, and striving to be a better person no matter what it comes to..

How did you find out what you loved to do?
I still do not know what I love to do. I guess that is the key issue, there are just so many things that make up my love for the world that I can't just focus on one, at the same time that is what is lugging me down, taking up my time and money.

Being happy with my fiance
Reading
Learning
New places
Burning Man
Seeing my garden grow every year
Seeing something I build come together
Being told "Good Job"
Dressing my own unique way
Listening to a sick beat drop

This draws a blank, there are so many I can think of yet it seems I can't find only one. I have been thinking a lot lately so I have a feeling one day its about to just pop me in the face as I am going to work.

Anyone else?

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #11222099 - 10/10/09 05:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:
Well often it has seemed to me that peoples purpose in life directly tie to their career path, almost like a serendipity effect. You find your purpose in life and your career comes a long. Not necessarily speaking of passions or interests either, just your purpose. Or do most try and separate them? It seems that somehow they would have to coincide for both of them to survive, or one of them would die off. Which is why I think people working the 9-5 cubicle jobs are so depressed (unless that is their purpose) because they have their career and they have their purpose in life but their career out weighs what they want to do, so what they want to do is suppressed.

I suppose my take on the first sentence is probably atypical.

I think a career equals opportunity to pursue ones life purpose in their own time.

I came to the conclusion that combining career/money-making with purpose would ultimately lead to compromise and defeat alot of the time. ie; the more personal time and resources you have, the more you can explore your purpose. (although i can absolutely see how i doctor, or psychologist and veternarian *etcetc*, or wilderness guide may have found their purpose in their career.)

My purpose is things like sharing food with my friends, listening, volunteering @ burning man, being kind and compassionate and showing empathy towards most people + things...

I figured if i can "get ahead" and get some land, i can live off the grid in a sustainable way ... and pursue my "purpose" in my offtime. Luckily welding can allow me something like a 50/50 or 60/40 offtime. Fuck 9 to 5. imo

Making a good wage in Trades will get me there, before retirement.

Seriously, if you want to weld, weld. Don't waste any more time.

I am looking for my first welding apprenticeship as we speak, Hoping to get on in the shipyard - A noble pursuit in my mind.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies