Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Monotub with side pins, aborts on top
    #11212132 - 10/08/09 11:35 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So a monotub grow set-up has 4 holes (2 top/2 bottom) on each long side of a tub.
The substrate has a trash bag it sits in.
The first flush there are side pins growing up and out to full grown mushrooms
The top barely has any pins and ones that form abort pretty soon.
AND a layer of waxed paper has been on top of the substrate to form a humid micro climate all along. (keep in mind RR said he did open grows with wax paper on top for humidity, it has worked)
Diagnose the problem
:drwario:

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Edited by RonPaulVerm (10/08/09 11:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesoli
rogue psychologist
 User Gallery

Re: Monotub with side pins, aborts on top [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11212861 - 10/09/09 02:06 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

may be due to temp fluxuations.. dont know this wax paper technique but i just stuff with polyfill and put near the fan. i had a couple monotubs do that, im rehydarting them tonight to see how it works out.  i'll let u know =)

--------------------
irc,partydome.us #irc

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange

Re: Monotub with side pins, aborts on top [Re: soli]
    #11213262 - 10/09/09 04:08 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

the wax paper obviously isn't working for you.  how big are the holes and how loose/tight is the polyfill stuffed in there?  It sounds like a humidity problem.  If pins on top abort immediately and only want to fruit on the side then conditions above the substrate aren't right.  I would start by making the polyfill tighter, or even taping the holes back up.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Monotub with side pins, aborts on top [Re: tall dwarf]
    #11214023 - 10/09/09 09:06 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

RR has advised  over and over to take the polyfil out for FAE.
Not that a grower CAN'T go against that but FAE is the best pinning trigger.
And I don't see how the wax paper can't work. It's not like sometimes it will create a microclimate and sometimes not. :confused:
Let's say one tub Holes are rectangular 1 1/2 inch high 3 inches across, top and bottom
and another has holes on substrate level (bottom) the size of wide mouth jar lids BUT the same  rectangular ones on top...:smirk:

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11214050 - 10/09/09 09:15 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

ive seen wax paper fuck up a few tubs

--------------------
:shrug:

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange

#11214116 - 10/09/09 09:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RonPaulVerm said:
Let's say one tub Holes are rectangular 1 1/2 inch high 3 inches across, top and bottom
and another has holes on substrate level (bottom) the size of wide mouth jar lids BUT the same  rectangular ones on top.

So there are 2 tubs doing the same thing?  And those are HUGE holes.  Wide mouth jar lids are nearly 3.5 inches in diameter.  Taking the polyfill out of those holes would let out whatever humidity is in there to begin with.  But even with polyfill those holes are too big and your tubs are probably not maintaining proper humidity, and thus all the side pins.
People who do monotubs usually use 1 inch or 2 inch holes.

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: Monotub with side pins, aborts on top [Re: tall dwarf]
    #11214328 - 10/09/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

aborts are due to lack of air exchange..try a tub with out..wax paper

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Offlinecloudsaregathering
pasturbater
Male

Loc: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: Monotub with side pins, aborts on top [Re: botanisthype]
    #11214383 - 10/09/09 10:29 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

wish i could help with this one, but dunno...

--------------------

"the root of the problem has been isolated"

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Monotub with side pins, aborts on top [Re: nastos]
    #11214623 - 10/09/09 11:13 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nastos said:
ive seen wax paper fuck up a few tubs

How so?

It sounds to me like the usual challenge of this hobby. Maintaining humidity while getting enough FAE...
The wax paper is for keeping a humid microclimate.
ANd okay...answer me this:
If a grower needed more FAE (CO2 filtering in and out of his tub), has the standard 4 on each long side top/bottom, and wants to remove polyfil from the holes...which holes does the grower choose to remove polyfil from?
[My conclusion was the polyfil in the top holes so that humidity isn't lost by the substrate.] But that's the wrong reasoning

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate