Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
    #11213803 - 10/09/09 08:16 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I just saw this.  What do you guys think about this?  I'm sure opinions will be broken down by party line, so I will ask you: if you don't think he should have won, who should have instead?

Quote:

October 10, 2009
In Surprise, Nobel Peace Prize to Obama for Diplomacy
By WALTER GIBBS and SHERYL GAY STOLBERG

OSLO — The Nobel Committee announced Friday that the annual peace prize was awarded to Barack Obama, just nine months into his presidency, “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.”

The award cited in particular Mr. Obama’s effort to reduce the world’s nuclear arsenal. “He has created a new international climate,” the committee said.

The announcement stunned people from Norway to the White House. “There has been no discussion, nothing at all,” said Rahm Emanuel, the president’s chief of staff, in a brief telephone interview.

Mr. Emanuel said that he had not yet spoken directly to the president. A senior administration official said in an e-mail message that the press secretary, Robert Gibbs, called the White House shortly before 6 a.m. and woke the president with the news.

“The president was humbled to be selected by the committee,” the official said, without adding anything further.

A statement from Mr. Obama was expected at 10:30 a.m. in Washington.

Mr. Obama, who made United States history by becoming the first African-American president, made repairing the fractured relations between the United States and the rest of the world a major theme of his campaign for the presidency. Since taking office as president he has pursued a range of policies intended to fulfill that goal. He has vowed to pursue a world without nuclear weapons, as he did in a speech in Prague earlier this year; reached out to the Muslim world, delivering a major speech in Cairo in June; and sought to restart peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians.

“Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world’s attention and given its people hope for a better future,” the committee said in its citation. “His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world’s population.”

But while Mr. Obama has generated considerable good will overseas — his foreign counterparts are eager to meet with him, and polls show he is hugely popular around the world — many of his policy efforts have yet to bear fruit, or are only just beginning to do so. North Korea has defied him with missile tests; Iran, however, recently agreed to restart nuclear talks, which Mr. Obama has called “a constructive beginning.”

In that sense, Mr. Obama is unlike past recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize such as former President Jimmy Carter, who won in 2002 for what presenters cited as decades of “untiring efforts” to seek peaceful end to international conflicts. (Mr. Carter failed to win in 1978, as some had expected, after he brokered a historic peace deal between Israel and Egypt.)

Thorbjorn Jagland, the chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee and a former prime minister of Norway, said the president had already contributed enough to world diplomacy and international understanding to earn the award.

“We are not awarding the prize for what may happen in the future, but for what he has done in the previous year,” Mr. Jagland said. “We would hope this will enhance what he is trying to do.” The prize comes as Mr. Obama faces considerable challenges at home. On the domestic front, he is trying to press Congress to pass major legislation overhauling the nation’s health care system. On the foreign policy front, he is wrestling with declining support in his own party for the war in Afghanistan. The White House is engaged in an internal debate over whether to send more troops there, as Mr. Obama’s commanding general has requested.

For Mr. Obama, the award could, in a strange way, prove a political liability. As he traveled overseas during his campaign for the presidency, he was subjected to criticism from Republicans who argued he was too much the international celebrity. Winning the Nobel at such an early stage in his presidency could further that kind of criticism, especially in Washington’s hyperpartisan political environment.

Even before Mr. Obama appeared in the Rose Garden to discuss the award, he was facing criticism from the chairman of the Republican National Committee, Michael Steele.

“The real question Americans are asking is, ‘What has President Obama actually accomplished?’ It is unfortunate that the president’s star power has outshined tireless advocates who have made real achievements working towards peace and human rights,” Mr. Steele said in a statement. “One thing is certain — President Obama won’t be receiving any awards from Americans for job creation, fiscal responsibility, or backing up rhetoric with concrete action.”

Mr. Obama also suffered a rejection on the world stage when he traveled to Copenhagen only last Friday to press the United States’ unsuccessful bid to host the Olympics in Chicago. Mr. Emanuel, who heard the news at 5 a.m. when he was heading out for his morning swim, said he joked to his wife, “Oslo beats Copenhagen.”

But rebuffs have been rare for Mr. Obama as he has traveled the world these past nine months — from Africa to Europe, Latin America and the Middle East, with a trip to Asia planned for November.

In April, just hours after North Korea tested a ballistic missile in defiance of international sanctions, he told a huge crowd in Prague that he was committed to “a world without nuclear weapons.”

In June, he traveled to Cairo, fulfilling a campaign pledge to deliver a speech in a major Muslim capital. There, in a speech that was interrupted with shouts of, “We love you!” from the crowd, Mr. Obama said he sought a “new beginning” and a “fresh relationship” based on mutual understanding and respect.

“I am convinced that in order to move forward, we must say openly the things we hold in our hearts, and that too often are said only behind closed doors,” the president said then. “There must be a sustained effort to listen to each other, to learn from each other, to respect one another, to seek common ground.”

Mr. Obama’s foreign policy has been criticized bitterly among neoconservatives like former Vice President Dick Cheney, who have suggested his rhetoric is naïve and his inclination to talk to America’s enemies will leave the United States vulnerable to another terrorist attack.

In its announcement of the prize, the Nobel Committee seemed to directly refute that line of thinking.

“Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics,” the committee wrote. “Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play.”

Interviewed later in the Nobel Committee’s wood-paneled meeting room, surrounded by photographs of past winners, Mr. Jagland brushed aside concerns expressed by some critics that Mr. Obama remains untested.

“The question we have to ask is who has done the most in the previous year to enhance peace in the world,” Mr. Jagland said. “And who has done more than Barack Obama?”

He compared the selection of Mr. Obama with the award in 1971 to the then West German Chancellor Willy Brandt for his “Ostpolitik” policy of reconciliation with communist eastern Europe.

“Brandt hadn’t achieved much when he got the prize, but a process had started that ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall,” said Mr. Jagland. “The same thing is true of the prize to Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990, for launching perestroika. One can say that Barack Obama is trying to change the world, just as those two personalities changed Europe.”

“We have to get the world on the right track again,” he said. Without referring specifically to the Bush era, he continued: “Look at the level of confrontation we had just a few years ago. Now we get a man who is not only willing but probably able to open dialogue and strengthen international institutions.”

President Obama is the third leading American Democrat to win the prize this decade, following former Vice President Al Gore in 2007 along with the United Nations climate panel and former President Jimmy Carter in 2002.

The last sitting American president to win the prize was Woodrow Wilson in 1919. Theodore Roosevelt was selected in 1906 while in the White House and Mr. Carter more than 20 years after he left office.

The prize was won last year by the former president of Finland, Martti Ahtisaari for peace efforts in Africa and the Balkans.

The prize is worth the equivalent of $1.4 million and is to be awarded in Oslo on Dec. 10.

The full citation read: “The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama’s vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

“Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama’s initiative, the United States is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.”

Walter Gibbs reported from Oslo and Sheryl Gay Stolberg from Washington. Alan Cowell contributed reporting from London, and Richard Berry from Paris.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/world/10nobel.html?hp=&pagewanted=all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

Loc: ∞
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Redstorm]
    #11213871 - 10/09/09 08:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If he won it, i say bill richardson should win one too.

--------------------
I close my eyes and seize it
I clench my fists and beat it
I light my torch and burn it
I am the beast I worship....

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: RL
    #11213962 - 10/09/09 08:51 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ron Paul should win a peace prize just for opening peoples eyes about the FED alone! If we stop bombing random countries, that will bring much peace.

Fuck Obama, he is full of shit, railing our country into the ground just like a more effective G. Bush

i hated bush, but atleast he fucked our country slowly, a little foreplay is nice

Obama is bringing so much pain to this country and the next generations, how could anyone give him an award for peace? just because he is a good speaker?

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #11213968 - 10/09/09 08:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

who were the other nominees?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: tektonic]
    #11213987 - 10/09/09 08:55 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

This is just more brainwashing by the NWO, lol

flexing their power, putting foundation to peoples mis-guided beliefs about Obama

but to be honest, he's just a weak puppet anyway, he personally isn't fucking the country as much as the people paying him

but realistically, did hitler kill all those jews himself? or was it the thousands of people who actual did the killing?

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: lonestar2004]
    #11214000 - 10/09/09 09:00 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

"Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee sends out thousands of letters inviting qualified people to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later."

http://nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11214002 - 10/09/09 09:00 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tektonic said:

flexing their power, putting foundation to peoples mis-guided beliefs about Obama

but to be honest, he's just a weak puppet anyway, he personally isn't fucking the country as much as the people paying him

but realistically, did hitler kill all those jews himself? or was it the thousands of people who actual did the killing?

Keep it relevant to the topic at hand or make your own thread.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #11214021 - 10/09/09 09:05 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Next week, in a preliminary announcement because my qualifications are so obvious.  The Downtown Athletic Club will announce that, yes, zappaisgod has won the Heisman Trophy.  Also World Series MVP.

--------------------

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: zappaisgod]
    #11214086 - 10/09/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i don't know if obama really deserves it yet. it seems more or less a superficial vote due to the "unification" in america that has resulted from electing our first black president.

the other reasons cited by the committee, like his bid to reduce nuclear armament around the world, have been nothing but talk so far. if they want to give him the prize for those reasons, they should have waited until next year, when his agenda has accomplished more.

so...premature, but not out of line.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: JT]
    #11214097 - 10/09/09 09:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Can anyone think of any of the nominees who were probably in the running or should have been?

InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

#11214100 - 10/09/09 09:29 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think it is out of line, theyre going on him claiming that he wants things.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#11214112 - 10/09/09 09:31 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JT said:
i don't know if obama really deserves it yet. it seems more or less a superficial vote due to the "unification" in america that has resulted from electing our first black president.

:rofl2:  Aside from the fact that there is no "unification" of America and that the first black President is so clearly inept and will likely set back the black cause for decades why would you ever believe that the Peace Prize lunatics give a shit about internal US politics?
Quote:

so...premature, but not out of line.

Nor is my Heisman by exactly the same criteria.

--------------------

InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

#11214122 - 10/09/09 09:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

how will he set back the black cause for decades?

--------------------

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
    #11214136 - 10/09/09 09:37 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

tektonic said:

Keep it relevant to the topic at hand or make your own thread.

Quote:

What do you guys think about this?  I'm sure opinions will be broken down by party line, so I will ask you: if you don't think he should have won, who should have instead?

Quote:

Ron Paul should win a peace prize just for opening peoples eyes about the FED alone! If we stop bombing random countries, that will bring much peace.

:ilold:  you just don't like my opinion :discorex: don't put that on me foo :peace:

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11214142 - 10/09/09 09:39 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I was talking about this craziness.

Quote:

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #11214211 - 10/09/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Olympus Mons said:

i don't completely agree either, some people will be set back, some not

but when he leaves office the damage he has done will be clear

to those who don't see it already

he will give stigma to black people like bush gave stigma to white people

hopefully he is doing the right thing, and the world will be a better place by the end of his term, and he would deserve a prize***

but not until then, cuz so far, his shit is fucked up

Quote:

Redstorm said:
I was talking about this craziness.

Quote:

it just sounds crazy lol, i'm talking about why they are giving him a nobel prize, i'll re-word it to emphasize my point

Quote:

This nobel prize non-sense is just more brainwashing by the NWO, lol

flexing their power, putting foundation to peoples mis-guided beliefs about Obama by making him equivalent to MLK with this prize

but to be honest, why does he deserve a peace prize? he's just a weak puppet, he personally isn't fucking the country as much as the people paying him

but realistically, did hitler kill all those jews himself? or was it the thousands of people who actual did the killing? so is he really at fault?

obama said he would end the war, that would have been peaceful

sorry if i came of as a ranting conspiracy theorist, lol it's just too easy

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #11214238 - 10/09/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Olympus Mons said:

its called "The soft bigotry of low expectations."

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisibledjmako7
Antitransubstantiationalist
 User Gallery

Loc: A shady spot under a tree
    #11214375 - 10/09/09 10:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Alright so I just found out about this.
There is only one pic to express how I feel

"The tally includes 172 individuals and 33 organisations, besting the 2005 number of 199 nominations.

Public broadcaster NRK reported that US President Barack Obama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy were among the nominees. "

I can't find the nominee list.

--------------------

InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: lonestar2004]
    #11214388 - 10/09/09 10:30 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Quote:

Olympus Mons said:

its called "The soft bigotry of low expectations."

you obama haters crack me up. what do you expect from the guy, he's a tool, and theres no saving this place, it was designed to fail.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: djmako7]
    #11214390 - 10/09/09 10:30 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Read the whole thread.

Quote:

"Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee sends out thousands of letters inviting qualified people to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later."

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#11214406 - 10/09/09 10:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I believe Rush Limbaugh was nominated.

--------------------

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#11214415 - 10/09/09 10:35 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Read the whole thread.

Quote:

I did read it. Absolute bullshit the media obviously has there hands on a copy of the list if they are naming names. I hate feeling controlled like this. Is as if world leaders like the ignorance of their people.

--------------------

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#11214428 - 10/09/09 10:37 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Taken from pub topic

Quote:

Nominations for potential winners of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize ended on February 1. The president took office only 12 days earlier on January 20.

Let�s take a look at the president�s first 12 days in the White House according to his public schedule to see what he did to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize:

January 20: Sworn in as president. Went to a parade. Partied.

January 21: Asked bureaucrats to re-write guidelines for information requests. Held an �open house� party at the White House.

January 22: Signed Executive Orders: Executive Branch workers to take ethics pledge; re-affirmed Army Field Manual techniques for interrogations; expressed desire to close Gitmo (how�s that working out?)

January 23: Ordered the release of federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries. Lunch with Joe Biden; met with Tim Geithner.

January 24: Budget meeting with economic team.

January 25: Skipped church.

January 26: Gave speech about jobs and energy. Met with Hillary Clinton. Attended Geithner's swearing in ceremony.

January 27: Met with Republicans. Spoke at a clock tower in Ohio.

January 28: Economic meetings in the morning, met with Defense secretary in the afternoon.

January 29: Signed Ledbetter Bill overturning Supreme Court decision on lawsuits over wages. Party in the State Room. Met with Biden.

January 30: Met economic advisers. Gave speech on Middle Class Working Families Task Force. Met with senior enlisted military officials.

January 31: Took the day off.

February 1: Skipped church. Threw a Super Bowl party.

So there you have it. The short path to the Nobel Peace Prize: Party, go to meetings, skip church, release federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries, party some more.

--------------------

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
    #11214435 - 10/09/09 10:39 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

lol, yep

there is no logical way he could have actually won a peace prize

edit: he hasn't brought any peace since entering office, let alone in those 12 days :shrug:

what looks like peace (international talks) is the NWO assembling in public view, and this prize is to help the ignorant keep following despite the rampant truth

the powers that be are simply stacking mis-information by commending Obama & the terrible policies he is putting in place

Edited by tektonic (10/09/09 10:46 AM)

InvisibleMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
    #11214436 - 10/09/09 10:39 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

adding 30,000+ troops to afghanistan doesn't equal more peace!

--------------------
:gc:
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

#11214457 - 10/09/09 10:43 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

:rofl2:  Aside from the fact that there is no "unification" of America and that the first black President is so clearly inept and will likely set back the black cause for decades why would you ever believe that the Peace Prize lunatics give a shit about internal US politics?

yes...which is why i put unification in quotation marks and said it was a superficial reason.

honestly though, people outside of the US probably do see it as a major unification. like you said, they don't care about internal US politics. they just see that we have elected a black man.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: MistaUNGA]
    #11214464 - 10/09/09 10:45 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Oh no?  Here's my plan for peace in Afghanistan.  Kill all Taliban and al Qaeda.  Thank you.  Unfortunately he has not added the troops so your objection is moot and ignorant.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #11214466 - 10/09/09 10:45 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

>  if you don't think he should have won, who should have instead?

The Nobel Peace Prize is pretty much a joke at this point.  Considering past winners, they might as well be done with it and give one to David Duke as well.  Lets see, Yasser Arafat Al Gore got one for killing a bunch of Jews.  Al Gore got one for demonstrating how one man can create a gigantic carbon foot print while blaming everybody else for the problem.  Now Obama has gotten one for... umm... uhhh.. oh, yes, “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples” whatever that means.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Seuss]
    #11214487 - 10/09/09 10:48 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

“for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples”

just setting the stage :discorex:

dance puppets dance

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Seuss]
    #11214505 - 10/09/09 10:50 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MistaUNGA said:
adding 30,000  troops to afghanistan doesn't equal more peace!

Quote:

Seuss said:
>  if you don't think he should have won, who should have instead?

The Nobel Peace Prize is pretty much a joke at this point.  Considering past winners, they might as well be done with it and give one to David Duke as well.  Lets see, Yasser Arafat Al Gore got one for killing a bunch of Jews.  Al Gore got one for demonstrating how one man can create a gigantic carbon foot print while blaming everybody else for the problem.  Now Obama has gotten one for... umm... uhhh.. oh, yes, �for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples� whatever that means.

I think the dalai lama should win again. This guy has been trucking for than a half of century to seek peace not only for his nation but for the entire world.

not to bring race into this but...... A handshake shows more respect imo

--------------------

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
    #11214535 - 10/09/09 10:58 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yes, the dalai lama should win again

i can't think of many people that try to make peace happen on the daily besides him

@ the handshake: accepting someone else's culture, and enjoying their tradition is quite respectable in my eyes

plus that's the way we shake hands where i'm from :vaped:

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL, USA
    #11214563 - 10/09/09 11:02 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tektonic said:
honestly though, people outside of the US probably do see it as a major unification. like you said, they don't care about internal US politics. they just see that we have elected a black man.

Most importantly, he's "not Bush". Obama might be continuing some of his predecessor's awful policies, but he has demonstrated a willingness to have open dialogue and collaboration with other countries. This honor is definitely premature, but I think it will shape future events in a favorable way. As usual, you can count on rabid Republicans to deride this as something to be ashamed of, like wanting the Olympics to come to Chicago. And besides, since when did conservatives place any value in an award that wasn't bestowed upon Ronald Reagan, the most overrated President in living memory (who DESTROYED COMMUNISM, WHOO@!)?

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Next week, in a preliminary announcement because my qualifications are so obvious.  The Downtown Athletic Club will announce that, yes, zappaisgod has won the Heisman Trophy.  Also World Series MVP.

Your analogy is terrible and flawed, zappa. Pat Buchanan's was much better. Basically, this: it's like awarding the Heisman Trophy to the quarterback of a #1 ranked team before the season starts.

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
    #11214577 - 10/09/09 11:04 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

For those who suckle the teat of European philosophy, the prize is a call for one universal government. What did Obama do to deserve any award. Carter by far the biggest Presidential joke, is evidence enough that this "prize" is a socialist badge of courage. This "prize" is used by left-wing malcontents, to attack the integrity of the U.S..

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: THC Titan]
    #11214589 - 10/09/09 11:06 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That quarterback earned his position on merit.  I, like Obama, have not in the least bit earned my position as Heisman candidate.  That's pretty funny from Buchanan.  He must have had a stroke that removed the part of his brain that held the memory that the Nobel Committee doesn't think the USA is any freer than Cuba.

--------------------

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: C.M. Mann]
    #11214607 - 10/09/09 11:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

C.M. Mann said:
For those who suckle the teat of European philosophy, the prize is a call for one universal government. What did Obama do to deserve any award. Carter by far the biggest Presidential joke, is evidence enough that this "prize" is a socialist badge of courage. This "prize" is used by left-wing malcontents, to attack the integrity of the U.S..

QFT :vaped:

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

#11214624 - 10/09/09 11:14 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

C.M. Mann said:

T. Roosevelt and Henry Kissinger: recipients of Socialist Badge of Courage

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #11214641 - 10/09/09 11:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
I just saw this.  What do you guys think about this?  I'm sure opinions will be broken down by party line, so I will ask you: if you don't think he should have won, who should have instead?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Anybody other than that fuckwit Obama.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11214669 - 10/09/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

How is this prize a call for a universal government? I'm finding it difficult to follow the reasoning that ends with this being true.

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #11214679 - 10/09/09 11:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Yawn. Sorry, I couldn't detect that bitterness, could you try a little harder?

Mayhaps the Nobel Peace Prize should have gone to GWB, for all he's done for the prospect of world peace.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#11214685 - 10/09/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Mayhaps the Nobel Peace Prize should have gone to GWB, for all he's done for the prospect of world peace.

You can't detect what doesn't exist.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
    #11214765 - 10/09/09 11:42 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is probly running his own shit, making his own choices.

Quote:

Mayhaps the Nobel Peace Prize should have gone to GWB, for all he's done for the prospect of world peace

I nominate satan. :satansmoking:

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

#11215634 - 10/09/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

are we in bizzaro world or what? What the hell has obama done to promote peace?

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#11215930 - 10/09/09 02:42 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

To any stooge who thinks he earned this......

the deadline to be nominated for this "award" was.....

grab your dicks and hold on tight......

February 1.

Why is that important?

Well, seeing as the Obamanation had been in office a mere 11 days, it makes it clear that this "award" was one of the following:
1. A parting shot at Bush.
2. An affirmative action award.
3. An amazing and incredible example of the ability of the committee to travel forward in time (far past today's date) and see what the Obamanation has been up to.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #11216006 - 10/09/09 02:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

This is true. He'd had like twelve days to do stuff. Why don't we look at what he actually did according to his public schedule -

Quote:

January 20: Sworn in as president. Went to a parade. Partied.

January 21: Asked bureaucrats to re-write guidelines for information requests. Held an “open house” party at the White House.

January 22: Signed Executive Orders: Executive Branch workers to take ethics pledge; re-affirmed Army Field Manual techniques for interrogations; expressed desire to close Gitmo (how’s that working out?)

January 23: Ordered the release of federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries. Lunch with Joe Biden; met with Tim Geithner.

January 24: Budget meeting with economic team.

January 25: Skipped church.

January 26: Gave speech about jobs and energy. Met with Hillary Clinton. Attended Geithner's  swearing in ceremony.

January 27: Met with Republicans. Spoke at a clock tower in Ohio.

January 28: Economic meetings in the morning, met with Defense secretary in the afternoon.

January 29: Signed Ledbetter Bill overturning Supreme Court decision on lawsuits over wages. Party in the State Room. Met with Biden.

January 30: Met economic advisers. Gave speech on Middle Class Working Families Task Force. Met with senior enlisted military officials.

January 31: Took the day off.

February 1: Skipped church. Threw a Super Bowl party.

So there you have it. The short path to the Nobel Peace Prize: Party, go to meetings, skip church, release federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries, party some more.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #11216036 - 10/09/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So who was the runner-up?

They never release that information. But we can look at some of the nominees the Nobel Committee considered less worthy than Barack Hussein Obama to receive to Nobel Peace Prize:

Chinese Human Rights Activist Hu Jia - imprisoned for campaigning for human rights in the PRC, not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama.

Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. -- not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama. (Not to mention the symbolic value of awarding a Chinese dissident on the 20th Anniversary of the Tianenmen Square Massacre.)

Greg Mortenson, founder of the Central Asia Institute has built nearly 80 schools, especially for girls, in remote areas of northern Pakistan and Afghanistan over the past 15 years - not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama.

Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad, a philosophy professor in Jordan who risks his life by advocating interfaith dialogue between Jews and Muslims, also not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama.

Afghan human rights activist Sima Samar. She currently leads the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission and serves as the U.N. special envoy to Darfur and is apparently also not as worthy as Barack Hussein Obama.

But let's face it - none of the above have ever graced the cover of People magazine.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinemrgibblet
Lemon Tek Pro
Male User Gallery

#11216099 - 10/09/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tektonic said:

Fuck Obama, he is full of shit, railing our country into the ground just like a more effective G. Bush

i hated bush, but atleast he fucked our country slowly, a little foreplay is nice

Obama is bringing so much pain to this country and the next generations, how could anyone give him an award for peace? just because he is a good speaker?

This post is the best post about obama I've ever read on any forum around the internet.

You deserve something for this.

--------------------
:whoyougonnacall:
"Anxiety doesn't exist. It's just your inner brain telling you that you're a pussy."

jokes

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: mrgibblet]
    #11216275 - 10/09/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Dear Obama I award you the Piece of Shit prize.

Wait.....  who do I make it out to?? You go by about 5 different names.  You hid your records from us so we have no idea if you are a baby raper or criminal. 

I am just awestruck at the level of stupidity going on these days.

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: cpw1971]
    #11216294 - 10/09/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cpw1971 said:

Is there an emoticon for irony?

InvisibleMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: mrgibblet]
    #11216295 - 10/09/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Oh no?  Here's my plan for peace in Afghanistan.  Kill all Taliban and al Qaeda.  Thank you.  Unfortunately he has not added the troops so your objection is moot and ignorant.

Quote:

Unlike his predecessors, Obama was selected not for substantive accomplishments, but for his "vision" and inspiring "hope" at the beginning of his presidency. -CNN.com

Whether the troops are already there or not is what I consider to be the moot point. He's stated publicly the "need" to add more troops in Afghan. So somebody with a credible threat of increased violence receives the Peace award. :whatever:

And what if Chinese (FOR EXAMPLE) forces came here to set up a Communist regime, FOR OUR OWN GOOD and AGAINST OUR WILL (as is the premise of our "Democratic" involvement in the Mid-East), and then they decide to eradicate all conservatives for being resisters. How much different is that, in principle, from what you've advocated against the Afghanis?

Don't get me wrong, we're pretty close to the same page, just a little different view on war, I guess.

--------------------
:gc:
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #11216342 - 10/09/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

cpw1971 said:

Well show me Obama's college records then.  Or his real birth certificate.
  So if you can't I see no irony in my statement.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #11216364 - 10/09/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

cpw1971 said:

No kidding.  :rofl2:

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #11216380 - 10/09/09 04:07 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well to you I say the same thing then.

Show me the money or fuck off.

I must be stupid to think Obama hid all his past records.

Wait I found them here....
  http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/2008/10/barack-obamas-gpa-and-college-records/
  or maybe here....
  http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=100613

Edited by cpw1971 (10/09/09 04:19 PM)

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: cpw1971]
    #11216449 - 10/09/09 04:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Since this thread has come full-circle to crazy conspiracies, would you care to list the five names of Barack Obama?

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #11216490 - 10/09/09 04:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

how about 50?........
  http://web.mac.com/donnicoloff/directlightproductions.com/Documents/Entries/2009/7/23_Bonus_Page_1:_%E2%80%9CThe_Three_Stooges_go_to_Washington,_Part_7.html

also
http://www.rense.com/general85/ObamaFEC.html

Barry Soetoro, Barry Dunham, Barry Obama, Barack Soetoro, Barack Dunham
  there you go smartass
  now whos stupid?? clearly you are

It's no conspiracy theory that Obama hid his records.  It is FACT. You see a theory is just a theory and therefore unproven.  go back to school

Edited by cpw1971 (10/09/09 05:04 PM)

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

#11216550 - 10/09/09 04:42 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

excellent point about the deadline. i had not even considered that.

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #11216876 - 10/09/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yep just as I thought.
  the ole foot in mouth syndrome.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11216951 - 10/09/09 06:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Accoring to cpw's post, he's proven that Obama goes by more than just 5 names; he goes by over 50!  Including:

Jane Obama
Hillary Obama
Wanna B. Obama
Negro Obama

I'd give this one up now if I were you.  Seriously.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
    #11216995 - 10/09/09 06:18 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Since this thread has come full-circle to crazy conspiracies, would you care to list the five names of Barack Obama?

theres more to life than prime-time fox

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

Invisiblemozhual
Amateur Omnologist
 User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #11217247 - 10/09/09 07:16 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zappaisgod said:
likely set back the black cause for decades

This does nothing but scream out "I'm a racist!" to any knowledgeable listener. He's mixed ethnicity, half white, if you really want to be particular about it. But the real issue is the mentality that a single person of any ethnicity would represent the larger aggregation, simply disgusting.

Also he's infinitely more literate then Bush so, short of inciting a civil war, his failures will be greatly ignored/mitigated in the eyes of the general populous.

--------------------
"Nature is like a sculptor constantly improving upon her work, but to do so she chisels away at living flesh." H.K. Bloom

"Is God willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is not omnipotent...
Is he able but not willing? Then he is malevolent...
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him god." Epicurus c. 300 BCE

"When I brought up the fact that 'No drug is good or bad, they're all just A drug, what someone does with them determines the postive or negative outcome. Look at medicine, those are drugs' Reponse was that 'well medicine solves problems' well so does LSD." -Learningtofly

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #11217307 - 10/09/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Accoring to cpw's post, he's proven that Obama goes by more than just 5 names; he goes by over 50!  Including:

Jane Obama
Hillary Obama
Wanna B. Obama
Negro Obama

I'd give this one up now if I were you.  Seriously.

hey man you can just figure out if that part was serious on your own.  I did however post the 5 names.
  so fuck you

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11218402 - 10/09/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm surprised that no one's posted the full text explaining why Obama won the award:

REUTERS
Text of Nobel Peace Prize citation for Obama
Fri Oct 9, 2009 5:45am EDT

Quote:

"The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

"Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

"For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

I'm also surprised Obama won it, given the continued US military presence in Iran and Afghanistan, but I guess the committee didn't know about that back in February.

Edit:  My mistake - most of the text above is scattered throughout the original post, but here it is without commentary.

Edited by Falcon91Wolvrn03 (10/09/09 11:22 PM)

OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

#11218577 - 10/09/09 11:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

OfflineCapHat
Stranger

#11218635 - 10/10/09 12:16 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

No I dont think he should have. At his exception speech Osama said this.

"To the best campaign team in the history of politics, you made this happen and I could not have done it with out you"  Barak Obama

Could not have done it with out the best campaign team ever, what?

Edited by CapHat (10/10/09 12:20 AM)

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: CapHat]
    #11218648 - 10/10/09 12:19 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

woow that is the dumbest obama conspiracy i have ever heard and it is totally unrelated :piggy:

OfflineCapHat
Stranger

#11218673 - 10/10/09 12:25 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well I dont think a man who is completely told what to say and do deserves a Nobel Peace Prize. No matter how well the media subverse it. Why should a state office get a nobel, Like the office of president.

Edited by CapHat (10/10/09 12:27 AM)

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#11218680 - 10/10/09 12:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CapHat said:
Well I dont think a man who is completely told what to say and do deserves a Nobel Peace Prize. No matter how well the media subverse it. Why should a state office get a nobel?

To boost morale?

--------------------

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

#11218692 - 10/10/09 12:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop?

why do :piggy: :cop:s like :donut:s ?

the world may never know.

OfflineCapHat
Stranger

#11218710 - 10/10/09 12:42 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yea like thats a good agrument to support you claim JT, resort to name calling cuz you have nothing good to say in response. and djmako7 hahahaha just my point. For moral? give a state office a Nobel for others moral? So you admit he did not even earn it hahaha? Good argument both of you. ONE talks about shit the other moral haha. should then just give you too the nobel if for them reasons haha.
and its a Peace officer to you I never said I was a corporate cop. If you even know the difference between the two, I bet not judging from your response.

Edited by CapHat (10/10/09 12:44 AM)

OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

#11218835 - 10/10/09 01:17 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I fucked up. Here is the actual post I was going for.

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/09/obama-nobel-speech-video_n_315324.html

FULL TEXT OF OBAMA'S REMARKS:

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. Well, this is not how I expected to wake up this morning. After I received the news, Malia walked in and said, "Daddy, you won the Nobel Peace Prize, and it is Bo's birthday!" And then Sasha added, "Plus, we have a three-day weekend coming up." So it's good to have kids to keep things in perspective.

I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee. Let me be clear: I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build -- a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.

These challenges can't be met by any one leader or any one nation. And that's why my administration has worked to establish a new era of engagement in which all nations must take responsibility for the world we seek. We cannot tolerate a world in which nuclear weapons spread to more nations and in which the terror of a nuclear holocaust endangers more people. And that's why we've begun to take concrete steps to pursue a world without nuclear weapons, because all nations have the right to pursue peaceful nuclear power, but all nations have the responsibility to demonstrate their peaceful intentions.

We cannot accept the growing threat posed by climate change, which could forever damage the world that we pass on to our children -- sowing conflict and famine; destroying coastlines and emptying cities. And that's why all nations must now accept their share of responsibility for transforming the way that we use energy.

We can't allow the differences between peoples to define the way that we see one another, and that's why we must pursue a new beginning among people of different faiths and races and religions; one based upon mutual interest and mutual respect.

And we must all do our part to resolve those conflicts that have caused so much pain and hardship over so many years, and that effort must include an unwavering commitment that finally realizes that the rights of all Israelis and Palestinians to live in peace and security in nations of their own.

We can't accept a world in which more people are denied opportunity and dignity that all people yearn for -- the ability to get an education and make a decent living; the security that you won't have to live in fear of disease or violence without hope for the future.

And even as we strive to seek a world in which conflicts are resolved peacefully and prosperity is widely shared, we have to confront the world as we know it today. I am the Commander-in-Chief of a country that's responsible for ending a war and working in another theater to confront a ruthless adversary that directly threatens the American people and our allies. I'm also aware that we are dealing with the impact of a global economic crisis that has left millions of Americans looking for work. These are concerns that I confront every day on behalf of the American people.

Some of the work confronting us will not be completed during my presidency. Some, like the elimination of nuclear weapons, may not be completed in my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone. This award is not simply about the efforts of my administration -- it's about the courageous efforts of people around the world.

And that's why this award must be shared with everyone who strives for justice and dignity -- for the young woman who marches silently in the streets on behalf of her right to be heard even in the face of beatings and bullets; for the leader imprisoned in her own home because she refuses to abandon her commitment to democracy; for the soldier who sacrificed through tour after tour of duty on behalf of someone half a world away; and for all those men and women across the world who sacrifice their safety and their freedom and sometime their lives for the cause of peace.

That has always been the cause of America. That's why the world has always looked to America. And that's why I believe America will continue to lead.

OfflineCapHat
Stranger

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: EdgeChaos]
    #11218854 - 10/10/09 01:24 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I wonder who wrote that for Obama? Nice sounding sales pitch from a different butt hole who says the same poop. GO OBAMA hahaha speak for me

OfflineYrat
Hello

#11219270 - 10/10/09 05:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

the application (nomination?) for the prize was due on Feb 1st, meaning HE HAD BEEN IN OFFICE FOR 12 DAYS.

just unbelievable.

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

InvisibleShad0w
In trouble again.
Male

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Yrat]
    #11219608 - 10/10/09 07:48 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Did you know that Yasir Arafat, Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin won the peace prize in 1994 for their efforts to create peace in the mid-east.......... How is that working out?

For those quesitoning wether he "earned" it or not.....

Please.....

Tell me what "qualifications" are nessisary to win the nobel peace prize?

EDIT :

Has anyone ever glanced over the past "winners"? Out of ALL those people............... tell me which ones "deserved it" or not?

I would be -very- surprised if there is anyone on this board at all who even knows who the heck most of the "winners" are.

5 Norwegiens think Obama is cool.

OMG.

RU SERIOUS?!

"He doesnt deserve it." <--- cares what norway thinks.

"He totally deserves it." <--- cares what norway thinks.

I think I just created unity and peace in the world.....

I just now awarded myself for the Goody-Goody-Love-Love Prize.

Everyone argue about the validity of my nomination and consequential winning of said prize, BECAUSE IT REALLLLLLLY MATTERS!!!!!!!!!!

Fox News says so.

Edited by Shad0w (10/10/09 07:55 AM)

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Shad0w]
    #11219686 - 10/10/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shad0w said:

Has anyone ever glanced over the past "winners"? Out of ALL those people............... tell me which ones "deserved it" or not?

The Nobel Peace Prize is based on the subjective determinations of the committee...in this case, you can read how they came to their decision (been posted in this thread), and Obama's announcement speech reflects that general attitude (been posted in this thread).

You seem to have some pretty strong feelings about a reward that doesn't even have any concrete significance, according to you.

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#11220093 - 10/10/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well he has an obligation. If he doesn't fulfill it will make him and the nobel comity make george bush look like a genius

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11220149 - 10/10/09 10:35 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Side note: First US President to win one of these was also a fan of National Health Care.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblemozhual
Amateur Omnologist
 User Gallery

#11220482 - 10/10/09 11:55 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That is like dividing by zero, the universe would end. :tongue:

--------------------
"Nature is like a sculptor constantly improving upon her work, but to do so she chisels away at living flesh." H.K. Bloom

"When I brought up the fact that 'No drug is good or bad, they're all just A drug, what someone does with them determines the postive or negative outcome. Look at medicine, those are drugs' Reponse was that 'well medicine solves problems' well so does LSD." -Learningtofly

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Phred]
    #11220539 - 10/10/09 12:13 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

YO OBAMA! i'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU, AND IMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT WEI JINGSHENG IS ONE OF THE MOST PEACEFUL MOTHERFUCKERS OF ALL TIME!

OF.

ALL.

TIME.

--------------------
This space for rent

InvisibleShad0w
In trouble again.
Male

#11220615 - 10/10/09 12:34 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

Shad0w said:

The Nobel Peace Prize is based on the subjective determinations of the committee...in this case, you can read how they came to their decision (been posted in this thread), and Obama's announcement speech reflects that general attitude (been posted in this thread).

You seem to have some pretty strong feelings about a reward that doesn't even have any concrete significance, according to you.

Yeah....

Politics drives me nuts.

I find it hard to understand why anyone would pick EITHER party and then be so adamant about it...... to the point of knocking the guy for getting a Nobel Prize....... I would be tempted to challenge all the haters to name the last 5 winners without looking it up. :mad2:

Frustrating.

My wife is a staunch republican. She just had a huge fight over this on facebook.......

I am hoping this doesnt become the next birth certificate argument.........

But, It probably wont.... so far Fox News isnt blowing it out of its proportion, and into delegitimizing Obama( as of last night anyway )

And dont get me wrong..... I hate Obama as much as anyone............. but -not- MORE than any other politician I could name.

I dont like the whole 'liberal'(it isnt) agenda, But, at this point, I hope Obama turns the USA into a full on communism just so the right-wing can feel better about not getting a 3rd term for Bush............. :sad:

Alright, I will stay out of the political discussion for a few weeks.... but if I come back and this board is chock full of crap about the Peace Prize....... I swear I am going to get myself banned. :tongue2:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Shad0w]
    #11220699 - 10/10/09 12:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shad0w said:

EDIT :

Fritz Haber developed a synthesis for ammonia for the war efforts as a chemical weapon, awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 1918, wise choice

Cordell Hull was awarded a Peace Prize for his role as an anti-semite in
the execution of wealthy jews on europe

Henry Kissinger was awarded one for stopping the bombing raids in Cambodia that he started a few years earlier

Rigoberta Menchu was awarded one for writing a book about herself

Jimmy Carter was awarded one simply to make a political statement against Bush sr.

Wangari Maathai was awarded one for a conspiracy theory claiming the west developed AIDS to depopulate the planet

Al Gore was awarded one for propaganda, lies and 'make gore wealthy' schemes

you really have to appreciate the irony in some of the peace prize
awards, development of chemical agents meant for killing but can also
be used for scrubbing floors... lets give them a prize!

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11220704 - 10/10/09 12:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Al Gore was awarded one for propaganda, lies and 'make gore wealthy' schemes

holy lol, have we had a global warming thread here before?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #11220744 - 10/10/09 01:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

this is a nobel prize thread, please stick to the subject :smirk:

my nobel prize will be in chemistry for reinventing the tater tot
kinda like that guy that didnt invent the resister but did invent
a non-working model of one and was awarded the prize

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#11220767 - 10/10/09 01:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: mozhual]
    #11220850 - 10/10/09 01:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mozhual said:
Quote:

Zappaisgod said:
likely set back the black cause for decades

This does nothing but scream out "I'm a racist!" to any knowledgeable listener. He's mixed ethnicity, half white, if you really want to be particular about it. But the real issue is the mentality that a single person of any ethnicity would represent the larger aggregation, simply disgusting.

Although it is true that Obama is of mixed race he is nonetheless identified, both by himself and by affirmative action officials, as African American.  Further, there are legal mechanisms in place which make the distinction.  You not wanting to see something does not make it disappear.  And what will be judged is the product of those programs that grant preferential treatment based on race.  Affirmative Action puts every African American person under scrutiny because no one can trust that they got anything based solely on the merits.
Quote:

Also he's infinitely more literate then Bush so, short of inciting a civil war, his failures will be greatly ignored/mitigated in the eyes of the general populous.

He is, huh?  He didn't even write his own book.  A terrorist did.  By the way, I never considered literacy a qualification for managing.  Management experience?  Yes.  Some notion of literacy?  Ummmmmm, no.

--------------------

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

#11221208 - 10/10/09 02:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
He is, huh?  He didn't even write his own book.  A terrorist did.

What are you talking about, caricature-of-Joe-the-Plumber-that-calls-people-Marxists?

Invisiblemozhual
Amateur Omnologist
 User Gallery

#11221552 - 10/10/09 03:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

He is, huh?  He didn't even write his own book.  A terrorist did.  By the way, I never considered literacy a qualification for managing.  Management experience?  Yes.  Some notion of literacy?  Ummmmmm, no.

Did I say it was a qualification? No, I didn't even imply it. What I implied is that hes not a feeble-minded orator and can actually talk his way through a discussion with out making up words,  for that a lot of Americans will love him(as has already been proven by his constant fuck ups and yet unwavering approval rating among democrats).

Management experience? really? Do you know what the constitution states the president's job as being? He is a representative of the populous, nothing more and nothing less(which Obama seems to fail at). Your demagogical actions evince racism and self perpetuated half-knowledge of all things political, all you can see is perfidy in his actions.

Also, Ignored...

--------------------

InvisibleGI_Luvmoney
Vote Republican!
 User Gallery

#11221877 - 10/10/09 04:47 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yasir Arafat won a noble peace prize, too.  I guess that makes Obummer a terrorist.

--------------------

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #11222014 - 10/10/09 05:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
YO OBAMA! i'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU, AND IMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT WEI JINGSHENG IS ONE OF THE MOST PEACEFUL MOTHERFUCKERS OF ALL TIME!

OF.

ALL.

TIME.

that post was hilarious, i approve :rofl2:

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#11226395 - 10/11/09 12:26 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mozhual said:
Quote:

Did I say it was a qualification? No, I didn't even imply it. What I implied is that hes not a feeble-minded orator and can actually talk his way through a discussion with out making up words,  for that a lot of Americans will love him(as has already been proven by his constant fuck ups and yet unwavering approval rating among democrats).

How do you know he isn't a feeble-minded orator?  Have you ever heard him hem and haw when he isn't in front a of a teleprompter?  His unwavering approval rating among Democrats?  They're whistling past the graveyard.  Meanwhile, among Americans (which for some reason you seem to think only means Democrats) his Greatly Disapprove is 6 points higher than Greatly Approve.
Quote:

Management experience? really? Do you know what the constitution states the president's job as being? He is a representative of the populous, nothing more and nothing less(which Obama seems to fail at). Your demagogical actions evince racism and self perpetuated half-knowledge of all things political, all you can see is perfidy in his actions.

Also, Ignored...

Ignored?  What a wimp.  Perhaps you yourself should read the Constitution because it is precisely the President's job to manage the country.  That's why they call it the Executive Branch.  Doh.

And, as usual from the ignorant, the race flag gets thrown.  Also a lot of other stunningly stupid shit.  Half knowledge?  Hardly.  I've been around for 50 years, read the left wing NY Times every day and have heard the socialist claxon over and over again for decades.  I reject it not because I haven't heard it from even the best presenters but because it is false and fascistic and a destruction of freedom for most Americans.  When the cunt talks about spreading the wealth around he doesn't mean his and I would just as soon never see one nickel of mine go to the likes of you.

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
He is, huh?  He didn't even write his own book.  A terrorist did.

What are you talking about, caricature-of-Joe-the-Plumber-that-calls-people-Marxists?

Some people are Marxists.  DUH.  Including you and Ostupid.  William Ayers wrote his book.  It's pretty clear.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/09/unmasking_obama.html
I particularly liked this opening paragraph.

Quote:

It is now abundantly clear that the image of Barack Obama sold to the American electorate was tightly edited, air-brushed, and exaggerated. He has worn a series of masks -- eloquent orator, brilliant scholar, centrist, and literary sensation. All of these masks are coming off as he copes with a job for which image will not suffice.  For instance, hiding behind the eloquent orator mask is a guy who says "uhh" a lot when he is winging it, and who makes lots of factual and grammatical mistakes.

The words "factual" and "grammatical" in that last sentence have links at the original.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: mozhual]
    #11226554 - 10/11/09 01:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mozhual said:
Also, Ignored...

It's a shame you would ignore someone who has time and again demonstrated a knowledge of current events and government workings far superior to your own.

How sad and closed minded you are.

--------------------

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#11226644 - 10/11/09 01:33 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

My last post in this thread.

That worthless medal will have meaning as soon as he legalizes marijuana. Then he will get my respect.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#11226650 - 10/11/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

He doesn't have the power to do it.  Go light another footlong spliff.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11226674 - 10/11/09 01:38 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

There are countless issues more relevant to world peace than the removal of laws against marijuana.

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
    #11226866 - 10/11/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i think it would help peace in america if cops where not raiding people who grew pot

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize [Re: danielx]
    #11226872 - 10/11/09 02:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks, but it's not mine. It's what they call a "meme".

Google Link

Feel free to spread it around.  :super:

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#11226880 - 10/11/09 02:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
There are countless issues more relevant to world peace than the removal of laws against marijuana.

yeah one is bringing our troops home which wont happen.

--------------------

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#11226892 - 10/11/09 02:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

if they legalize marijuana in the U.S.  it would cut out the cartel almost completely thats one war almost ended. One step closer to peace

--------------------

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
    #11226915 - 10/11/09 02:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

djmako7 said:
if they legalize marijuana in the U.S.  it would cut out the cartel almost completely thats one war almost ended. One step closer to peace

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11226920 - 10/11/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

djmako7 said:

Yeah, I thought of this pretty much immediately after I made that post. Good point.

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#11227149 - 10/11/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I finall figured out why Obama won.  it all makes sense now.

president barack obama - kanye west - jackass (actual video) 2009.09.16

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains