Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecarlw
Stranger
Dried Weilii Appearance
    #11211051 - 10/08/09 11:12 PM (8 years, 16 days ago)

I received some weilii from a buddy. They were picked then dried. For some reason after drying they were placed in the freezer to "preserve" them. After freezing they were thawed and dried again. They currently look very black and dark brown and smell similar to chocolate. Having only done cubes before, which considerably lighter than these, the darkness of these made me concerned. The top of the caps are more of a dark to lightish brown, and the gills are a dark black. I am wondering if there was moisture when they were frozen and the contracting and expanding of the moisture has caused some sort of damage to the integrity of these shrooms. I have placed them under a fan to continue to ensure dryness. There is no mold and they are not damp but I am wondering A) what do dried weilii normally smell like? these smell chocolatish... B) what do they normally look like when dried? here is the closest looking picture i could find http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3273778#3273778

look at the picture of the weilii that look extremely black. These look like that, but they are pretty much that darkness all over, save for some shades of dark brown.

What should I expect with these? Is this normal for some weilii? I am certain they are weilii. Apparently when they were washing them they turned very blue approaching black and when they pulled them from the freezer they were in there current very dark color, which was taken by my buddy to mean very potent. If this is not normal, should I expect potency loss, or worse some bacteria, stomach poisoning? Like i said they are not mushy etc. they were dried before going in the freezer, but perhaps not cracker dry. There is no mold growing on them or dampness etc. They are just very dark shrooms. I would greatly appreciate some informed opinions. Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineskullhuman
the skullman cometh
Male

Re: Dried Weilii Appearance [Re: carlw]
    #11211065 - 10/08/09 11:14 PM (8 years, 16 days ago)

Freezing fresh mushrooms will cause the cells to burst, I have read.  Maybe someone with more knowledge can follow that up with a little more detail.

Edited by skullhuman (10/08/09 11:14 PM)

Offlinecarlw
Stranger
Re: Dried Weilii Appearance [Re: skullhuman]
    #11213465 - 10/09/09 08:18 AM (8 years, 16 days ago)

Any more opinions? I know people here have seen dried weilii and know what they should look right. I'd appreciate it.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Dried Weilii Appearance [Re: carlw]
    #11213481 - 10/09/09 08:27 AM (8 years, 16 days ago)

They probably were not dried properly the first time before they were frozen. Also, you are not supposed to refreeze anything after thawing. That includes active mushrooms. Always dry them until cracker dry and then put them in the freezer if you must (it actually isn't necessary, an airtight container will suffice). Remove only as many as needed, leave the rest in the freezer (or container).
It pretty much sounds as if you are looking at mushrooms that have at some point in the past started to rot. If that is the case, toss them.

PS: Pics would be helpful.
PPS: If this is what they look like, apparently that's how they are supposed to look if there was strong bluing:

I don't have Weilii here, so I can't judge from a first hand experience.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Invisiblenorthgahunt
Genesis 1:30, 9:3

Re: Dried Weilii Appearance [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11213870 - 10/09/09 10:32 AM (8 years, 16 days ago)

Weilii have many different shapes and colors, this mainly depends on what habitat they are growing in and the maturity level at time of picking.

It sounds to me based off your description that yours are more of a maturity issue. The older ones will turn chocolaty brown prior to turning black and then to mush.

There is a possibility the color changed during the drying process but without pictures its hard to say. My opinion is that they are pretty close to the color they were when they were picked. I have never seen healthy ones dry brown or black, they have turned blue. The older ones that were dark brown to start, dried the same or turned black.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification