Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Co-op?
    #11210876 - 10/08/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I recently sent an email to a co-op store asking them if they had any oyster mushrooms in stock and if not if they would need the "void" filled.

This is what I got in response:
My name is Adam Calder, and I am the produce department
manager here at _______ Cooperative.  I would be curious to taste a
sample of your product as well as get a feel for what you would like to
charge.  I would also need to talk with you about the availability and
consistency of your supply.  I have some paperwork I give to all local
growers so you will need to fill that out as well.  Please contact me via
email or phone and we can set up an appointment and discuss these topics.

So my question is, do I get paid money or how does a co-op work? And if I do get paid what should be my price per pound of oyster mushrooms? Please explain about co-ops because I have no clue what they are or how they work really. All I know is they have great food.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Co-op? [Re: Triptonic]
    #11210916 - 10/08/09 08:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know the answers to any of that- but go find what other stores are charging for oysters. Lots of places carry them.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#11210921 - 10/08/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Awsome, think you can maintain a good supply to bank off them? thats pretty cool.  I suggest sitting down and realisticly think about what you can provide him on a long term basis, then talk money with him after that has been figured out.

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #11210947 - 10/08/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have no idea about co-op's either.. but oysters go anywhere from $8 - $15/lb. ..usually. Things like Pink and Yellow Oysters pull more money, just based on their visual appeal, and the fact that they are not generally seen in the stores. I am going the route of a farmers market myself.. found a good year round one in a rich neighborhood, so I am going to go for top dollar.. I can sit there for $20 all day, every Saturday.. but I have yet to do so.. my first true oyster bulk is currently in progress. The best part of a farmers market is you go when you got 'em and no one will care when you are in between harvests. Best of Luck!

--------------------

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: Co-op? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11210949 - 10/08/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

A retailers' cooperative (known as a secondary or marketing co-operative in some countries) is an organization which employs economies of scale on behalf of its members to get discounts from manufacturers and to pool marketing. It is common for locally-owned grocery stores, hardware stores and pharmacies. In this case the members of the cooperative are businesses rather than individuals.

basicaly its a way for businesses (like restaurants) to get products at reduced prices as the co-op pools resources and sells in bulk to reduce prices.

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Co-op? [Re: TacoHerder]
    #11210951 - 10/08/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ya, I think that I can provide enough for them (its a pretty small place) but I was wondering how I get paid. I have read that co-op growers get paid not in money but in goods. But I dont know if thats true or not. Thats my main question. And Doc, I dont know where to even look. I have never seen them at my local grocery stores at all.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Co-op? [Re: Slimz]
    #11210959 - 10/08/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Slimz said:
A retailers' cooperative (known as a secondary or marketing co-operative in some countries) is an organization which employs economies of scale on behalf of its members to get discounts from manufacturers and to pool marketing. It is common for locally-owned grocery stores, hardware stores and pharmacies. In this case the members of the cooperative are businesses rather than individuals.

basicaly its a way for businesses (like restaurants) to get products at reduced prices as the co-op pools resources and sells in bulk to reduce prices.

Thank you Mr. Wiki. But that still doesnt answer my question.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11210972 - 10/08/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Triptonic said:
I dont know where to even look. I have never seen them at my local grocery stores at all.

All my local chain groceries have an 'organic produce' section, you'll find them there. Also health food stores. And farmer's markets sometimes.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Co-op? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11210988 - 10/08/09 09:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmmm.....I'll check it out.

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#11211029 - 10/08/09 09:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone know how I would get paid in a co-op? I need money not food lol.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11211047 - 10/08/09 09:11 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Just guessing, it's either/or. Cash when your stuff sells, or a better store credit when your stuff sells.
Unless they buy it from you outright for cash because they think it's such a great money maker compared to the other overpriced crap they are trying to move.

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #11211049 - 10/08/09 09:12 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I just found this "co-op" for my area.. looks interesting, but says nothing about being a supplier.. but it does look like a cash business.. I am sure it breaks down to a percentage for each contributor. You may have to make additional contact for real answers about your end.

--------------------

Offlinechronosync
kicked the habit. shed my skin.

#11211089 - 10/08/09 09:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i got some king oyster mushrooms the other day. they were delicious. got them from an international food market, they mostly cater to vietnamese and chinese people but they have all kinds of stuff. the stems were huge, these things were the size of a childs arm.

i was happy.

3 bucks a lb. im guessing, i forget, exactly, but they were pretty cheap.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Co-op? [Re: chronosync]
    #11217298 - 10/09/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I would be happy to tell you about our cooperative.  Cooperatives are member owned, and to become a member owner you need to invest $100.  The fee is one-time and is good for life.  The money is refundable if you decide you do not want to be a member some day.  Being a member means you are eligible to run for the board of directors and to vote for board members.  We have member appreciation sales 4 times a year and on those days  you can get a 5,10 or 15 percent discount on your purchases depending on how much you spend.  The more you spend, the higher the percentage of savings.  Members are also eligible to receive a patronage dividend.  This means we track your purchases for the year and compare that to any profit we make.  In profitable years, the board can decide to give a percentage of the profits back to the members based on how much the members shop at the coop.  The more you shop, the bigger your patronage dividend will be.  The board can also decide to withhold a patronage and instead use the money to invest back in the cooperative,.  The board did just that this year because we recently expanded into a larger location.  We used that money to help finance the expansion.  Being a member also entitles you to special member-only sales and member only coupon books. 

There are also some indirect benefits of supporting the coop as a member owner.  Wheatsfield supports a variety of local charitable and community oriented organizations.  We also try very hard to foster local agricultural development by purchasing as much locally produced food as we can.  In just the produce department alone I buy from over a dozen local vendors.  The rest of the store stocks locally produced cheese, meat, milk, eggs, grains and snacks.  Being a member means you are helping to support the other 2,000 members of the Wheatsfield community and the dozens of local vendors we do business with. 

That is the cooperative in a nutshell.  Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules