Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
china
    #11207957 - 10/08/09 03:34 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

American Graduates Finding Jobs in China
Quote:

Shanghai and Beijing are becoming new lands of opportunity for recent American college graduates who face unemployment nearing double digits at home.

Even those with limited or no knowledge of Chinese are heeding the call. They are lured by China%u2019s surging economy, the lower cost of living and a chance to bypass some of the dues-paying that is common to first jobs in the United States.

%u201CI%u2019ve seen a surge of young people coming to work in China over the last few years,%u201D said Jack Perkowski, founder of Asimco Technologies, one of the largest automotive parts companies in China.

%u201CWhen I came over to China in 1994, that was the first wave of Americans coming to China,%u201D he said. %u201CThese young people are part of this big second wave.%u201D

Critics Protest Gap in Dalai Lama's Schedule
Quote:

When the Dalai Lama landed here on Monday, he set off on a characteristically hectic, weeklong schedule including lectures, seminars, an awards ceremony and meetings with a senior State Department official and the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi.

But one appointment not on the calendar of the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, is a meeting with the president of the United States %u2014 a gap that has drawn protests from Republican lawmakers, commentators and some Tibetan leaders, who say the Obama administration is snubbing him to appease China.

To the first one:
This is a huge brain drain and unless those people, decide to come back more often than not, it's likely a huge net loss for the US.

I remember at one time some Chinese official stating that one day all it's people that it let out would come back and bring their experience back to China. I'm sure that's what they may have told the government in order to be allowed to leave, but if trends like this continue it may be just as well anyway.

To the second:
WTF?

Seriously WTF?

Now I know that China literally has the US by the balls and can get away with a lot if not anything from them. They must know this themselves, but in no way need that message come from the president of the USA himself.

Who the fuck thought this was appropriate?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: china [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11224773 - 10/11/09 03:43 AM (8 years, 7 days ago)

i don't get the bit about the dalai lama, barry o just blew off his appointment with him or something?

:what:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #11226646 - 10/11/09 03:34 PM (8 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:

To the first one:
This is a huge brain drain and unless those people, decide to come back more often than not, it's likely a huge net loss for the US.

I remember at one time some Chinese official stating that one day all it's people that it let out would come back and bring their experience back to China. I'm sure that's what they may have told the government in order to be allowed to leave, but if trends like this continue it may be just as well anyway.

Quote:

Among many young Americans, the China exit strategy is a common topic of conversation. Mr. Stephens, Ms. Berman and Mr. Misium all said they were planning to return to the United States eventually.

Do you even read the shit you link?  Why am I not surprised that there are no numbers in this article, only anecdotes?  Brain drain? 
Quote:

Ms. Berman said she was hired for her familiarity with Western modern dance rather than a knowledge of China. “Despite my lack of language skills and the fact that I had no experience working in China, I was given the opportunity to manage the touring, international projects, and produce and program our annual Beijing Dance Festival.”

I'm happy for Ms Berman that she has found a job that doesn't include tips.
Quote:

To the second:
WTF?

Seriously WTF?

Now I know that China literally has the US by the balls and can get away with a lot if not anything from them. They must know this themselves, but in no way need that message come from the president of the USA himself.

Who the fuck thought this was appropriate?

Who has who by the balls when we can destroy their investments with a wave of a dollar devaluation wand?

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: china [Re: zappaisgod]
    #11230294 - 10/12/09 12:59 AM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Who has who by the balls when we can destroy their investments with a wave of a dollar devaluation wand?

by the same wand if they decided to completely pull out of US investments, then lets see who the dollar fares lol.  but living in Asia is nothing new.  i did/am doing it....the money is better here and you can save way more.....and there is not all the hypocritical tax/forms/paperwork bullshit there is in north america....life is easier and more enjoyable...real simple.  people do this in china, korea, japan, thailand, malaysia, taiwan and probably a whole bunch of others i am not thinking of.

as for teh dalai lama....nothing new.  china was, is and liekly always will be completely selfish, childish greedy schoolchildren....with money and power.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: china [Re: kadakuda]
    #11234423 - 10/12/09 07:05 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

As you suggested, both countries have each other's balls. It's a game of Mutually Assured Financial Destruction.

China is easing out of U.S. treasuries hoping for a controlled descent of the dollar. The dollar is dying- the only question remaining is when and how fast? I think it would be lucky to survive another year.

Btw, a few weeks ago the Empire State building was illuminated in red and gold lights to honor the 60th anniversary of Mao's communist China.

No, I'm not kidding.

Hard to imagine that happening a few years ago.

Look up and salute your new masters.

Edited by zorbman (10/12/09 07:21 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: china [Re: zorbman]
    #11234670 - 10/12/09 07:48 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

I think it is in honor of the Communist take over of Washington DC

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: china [Re: zappaisgod]
    #11246613 - 10/14/09 04:57 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

are you glen beck in real life?

Anyway since I said I don't think that Chinese emigrants that said they would return will, what makes you think that I believe the american ones will? The reality is that before one becomes attached to their new home and the opposite toward their old, they may claim plans to return that will not be as likely to reflect reality.

I really think it's foolish to say the US can hurt china by devaluing it's dollar. It's akin to a suicide bomber trying to inflicting a crippling injury on their foe.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (10/14/09 04:58 PM)

OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
    #11269581 - 10/18/09 05:20 AM (8 years, 14 hours ago)

Yeah.

It is not as if many countries aren't putting together a currency basket in preparation of a dollar collapse.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/the-demise-of-the-dollar-1798175.html

I seem to recall someone talking about this on the shroomery some time ago, it wasn't taken very seriously at the time...

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: china [Re: Mr.Al]
    #11270510 - 10/18/09 12:27 PM (8 years, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Mr.Al said:
Yeah.

It is not as if many countries aren't putting together a currency basket in preparation of a dollar collapse.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/the-demise-of-the-dollar-1798175.html

I seem to recall someone talking about this on the shroomery some time ago, it wasn't taken very seriously at the time...

Some time ago?  That article was posted just a week and a half ago when it first came out:

The American Economy is Dead.

Care to contribute to that thread?

--------------------
Link to Shroomery Think Tank

"Sure, liberal policies appear to be working now, but you just wait, someday conservative policies will prove to work better" - Most conservatives on this board

OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
Re: china [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #11275439 - 10/19/09 03:43 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Mr.Al said:
Yeah.

Some time ago?  That article was posted just a week and a half ago when it first came out:

The American Economy is Dead.

Care to contribute to that thread?

Care to elaborate on what the dollar's buying power would be if it is no longer the world reserve fiat?

I think it comes down to people's unwillingness to accept bad news. 

Edited by Mr.Al (10/19/09 03:45 AM)

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: china [Re: zorbman]
    #11275593 - 10/19/09 05:27 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zorbman said:
As you suggested, both countries have each other's balls. It's a game of Mutually Assured Financial Destruction.

China is in a better position than most of us though.  if they get hit by the recession, their government freely and openly shows it cares very little for taking care of its people, so it will be devastating for the people, but as for the country as a whole i doubt it would hit as hard as say the USA where the government at least has to try and look like it cares.

both countries have a lot to lose, but China just doesnt care as much, so in that regard has the upper hand.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
    #11275678 - 10/19/09 06:56 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
Anyway since I said I don't think that Chinese emigrants that said they would return will, what makes you think that I believe the american ones will? The reality is that before one becomes attached to their new home and the opposite toward their old, they may claim plans to return that will not be as likely to reflect reality.

I'm Chinese-American. And I'm currently a college student.

Honestly, living in China is definitely a very good option for me after I graduate medical school. But it's the least likely situation to occur since I'd much rather live in Canada or Europe. Why would I much rather live elsewhere than the very land that raised me? Because these places provide me with opportunities that America just can't offer. Thus, as an individual, I must choose a path that holds my self-interests at heart.

I'm sure plenty of college graduates whom move to China feel the same, or else why would they even leave to live in a Communist country? You seem to still believe that the U.S. is the greatest nation on Earth. :facepalm: And I'm sorry to break your heart, but the U.S. is NOT the greatest place to live in the world. Current world rankings and statistics are proving that again and again; health care, infant mortality rates, education, average IQ, etc.

Quit moping. China is coming up. Why do you fear it so?

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: china [Re: meatcakeman]
    #11275816 - 10/19/09 08:58 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Because these places provide me with opportunities that America just can't offer.

Such as?

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: china [Re: Redstorm]
    #11277091 - 10/19/09 02:35 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Because these places provide me with opportunities that America just can't offer.

Such as?

A job?

Anyway, it's important to point out that the other story contravening the independent article in the aforementioned thread is credible and cites responses from many of the central banks of countries that were listed in the independent article.

In other words the USD is not in imminent threat of being dropped as a world currency... any more than usual.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

InvisibleDieCommie

#11277177 - 10/19/09 02:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I would like to go to china so I can get a decent job after graduation... I just wish they would have some political reform.  If they lose their closed political system and get some real representation going people will flood there for opportunity.

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male User Gallery

#11278915 - 10/19/09 07:40 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Such as?

A plethora of jobs, universal health care, amazing job benefits, a better lifestyle for my children (a better education, more gov't benefits, a healthier lifestyle away from fatty fast foods, better healthcare, etc.), the thrill of living in a foreign country, the thrill of learning the indigenous culture and language, and more.

Obviously, I can't name everything off the top of my head, but the first four things I listed are already enough to convince me.

--------------------
大开眼界

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male User Gallery

#11278932 - 10/19/09 07:42 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Such as?

A job?

Anyway, it's important to point out that the other story contravening the independent article in the aforementioned thread is credible and cites responses from many of the central banks of countries that were listed in the independent article.

In other words the USD is not in imminent threat of being dropped as a world currency... any more than usual.

That doesn't deny the fact that it's slowly losing its credibility on the world stage.

--------------------
大开眼界

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: china [Re: meatcakeman]
    #11279061 - 10/19/09 08:02 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

meatcakeman said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Such as?

A plethora of jobs, universal health care, amazing job benefits, a better lifestyle for my children (a better education, more gov't benefits, a healthier lifestyle away from fatty fast foods, better healthcare, etc.), the thrill of living in a foreign country, the thrill of learning the indigenous culture and language, and more.

Obviously, I can't name everything off the top of my head, but the first four things I listed are already enough to convince me.

I understand the thrill of living in a foreign land, but what makes you think you will get full governmental benefits? It seems unlikely that you would be granted citizen status.

Also, where do you see that the school systems and whatnot are better? I have not seen this before.

It seems like you have it in your head that going abroad will be some utopian period of your life.  You should also be taking into account the cons of living in China. Lord knows there are plenty.

InvisibleDieCommie

#11279417 - 10/19/09 08:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hes a trustafarian with an estate in china.  Of course it will be good for him.

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male User Gallery

#11279702 - 10/19/09 09:31 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

meatcakeman said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Such as?

I understand the thrill of living in a foreign land, but what makes you think you will get full governmental benefits? It seems unlikely that you would be granted citizen status.

Also, where do you see that the school systems and whatnot are better? I have not seen this before.

It seems like you have it in your head that going abroad will be some utopian period of your life.  You should also be taking into account the cons of living in China. Lord knows there are plenty.

I actually want to live in France or the UK.

I already have citizenship in China. :shrug:

But pertaining to life in Europe, citizenship is easily granted to those whom play an important role within society. Thus, as a doctor, I will easily be granted citizenship after residing in either the UK or France for an X amount of time.

UK citizenship guidelines

French citizenship guidelines

The public school systems there are obviously better, besides from higher learning institutions, i.e. universities, colleges, and the like. Just look at world rankings for education and IQ.

World rankings for reading, maths and science

EDIT: Notice that the U.S. isn't even listed on any of those Top 25 lists? :facepalm:

Nope, no typos no errors. Canada made it on the list. :shrug:

--------------------
大开眼界

Edited by meatcakeman (10/19/09 09:34 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion