Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetokingnome
Stranger

Loc: PNW
Anyone here get financial aid for college?
    #11206705 - 10/08/09 10:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My financial aid was pushed back a month from the day classes started since I turned in my paperwork a day late from the deadline. That's all fine and dandy; I made a payment on my tuition and started classes.

I finally got word on my financial aid a few days ago and it was denied. I had attended this college back when I was 16 so I could get my high school diploma through them. I'll be the first to admit I fucked around and didn't graduate til I was 19, but it was mainly due to me dropping classes later in the quarter after the class drop deadline, so I received some 0's which shit on my GPA. They are denying me because my previous attendance at the college resulted in a low GPA.

I turned in a petition stating why exactly my GPA was so low, as well as why I need the financial aid so badly. Now I need to wait 2 weeks for a decision on that. If they don't give me financial aid, I'm going to have to drop out. I got no relatives to fall back on to help me out.

Has anyone been in this situation and if so, how did it turn out for you?

Another quick question, how does the financial aid payment process work? If I get financial aid, based on my EFC, I should get the entire Pell Grant, and I also applied for a Stafford Loan. Do I only get a certain amount of money based on the amount of credits I am taking or will I get all that I asked for?

I'm just worried because I have a feeling I won't get any of the Stafford Loan because of the Pell Grant, but I desperately need the money from both.

Thanks for any help!

--------------------
Confucius say, "Man who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger." :strokebeard2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
Re: Anyone here get financial aid for college? [Re: tokingnome]
    #11206731 - 10/08/09 10:06 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tokingnome said:

I turned in a petition stating why exactly my GPA was so low, as well as why I need the financial aid so badly. Now I need to wait 2 weeks for a decision on that. If they don't give me financial aid, I'm going to have to drop out. I got no relatives to fall back on to help me out.

Another quick question, how does the financial aid payment process work? If I get financial aid, based on my EFC, I should get the entire Pell Grant, and I also applied for a Stafford Loan. Do I only get a certain amount of money based on the amount of credits I am taking or will I get all that I asked for?

I'm just worried because I have a feeling I won't get any of the Stafford Loan because of the Pell Grant, but I desperately need the money from both.

Thanks for any help!

You need a certain GPA to qualify. Google has all the answers. I'm still waiting on my check, supposedly going to be wired to my bank account. You need at least 12 units to get your money. Idon't know about the loans, just the free aid.

--------------------

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Loc: 805 Saint Cloud Road Mars
Re: Anyone here get financial aid for college? [Re: Neuron]
    #11206737 - 10/08/09 10:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

not personally but have friends that owe like 80k

--------------------

Offlinetokingnome
Stranger

Re: Anyone here get financial aid for college? [Re: Neuron]
    #11206754 - 10/08/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Neuron said:
Quote:

tokingnome said:

Thanks for any help!

You need a certain GPA to qualify. Google has all the answers. I'm still waiting on my check, supposedly going to be wired to my bank account. You need at least 12 units to get your money. Idon't know about the loans, just the free aid.

Yeah, my GPA was not high enough to qualify, but they allow you to petition it if you have extenuating circumstances. Hopefully they can see this and my dire need for financial aid.

--------------------
Confucius say, "Man who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger." :strokebeard2:

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#11206756 - 10/08/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I had to fill out that same petition after i was on academic suspension, then didn't return to school for 2 years. It seemed to do the trick, financial aid is paying for my school right now. If your EFC is 0 like mine, you should get at least some pell grant, plus enough stafford loan to pay tuition plus some living expenses. The money will go directly to your school, and whatever is left over, they'll send you a check. That's how its worked for me anyway, hope you have some success. Financial aid process is a bitch.

Offlinetokingnome
Stranger

Re: Anyone here get financial aid for college? [Re: nowwhoutthink]
    #11206761 - 10/08/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

nowwhoutthink said:
not personally but have friends that owe like 80k

Not at all what I am worried about. Did you just read the title of my thread or actually read what I had to say?

--------------------

Offlinetokingnome
Stranger

Re: Anyone here get financial aid for college? [Re: Hendostan]
    #11206768 - 10/08/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hendostan said:
I had to fill out that same petition after i was on academic suspension, then didn't return to school for 2 years. It seemed to do the trick, financial aid is paying for my school right now. If your EFC is 0 like mine, you should get at least some pell grant, plus enough stafford loan to pay tuition plus some living expenses. The money will go directly to your school, and whatever is left over, they'll send you a check. That's how its worked for me anyway, hope you have some success. Financial aid process is a bitch.

Did you get all of the money you applied for from the Stafford Loan? Or did they base how much you received off of the amount of credits you are taking?

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11206783 - 10/08/09 10:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tokingnome said:
Yeah, my GPA was not high enough to qualify, but they allow you to petition it if you have extenuating circumstances.

"I fucked around and didn't pay attention" isn't an extenuating circumstance.
Sorry, but it's true. Aid money is scarce, it needs to go to people who can put it to use- you don't have a great track record at that, apparently.

Another option: Lots of jobs offer tuition reimbursement as a benefit. Worth looking around for.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblenowwhoutthink
maybe im dreaming
 User Gallery

Loc: 805 Saint Cloud Road Mars
    #11206784 - 10/08/09 10:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i was just stating the fact that i dont receive it and my friends do...

sorry

--------------------

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#11206788 - 10/08/09 10:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I got all the money I needed.. I didn't apply for any specific amount, they just figured out how much I most likely needed based on how many credits I register for and my EFC, then they make an offer. You can either accept the whole amount, or just part of it based on what you need.

Offlinetokingnome
Stranger

Re: Anyone here get financial aid for college? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11206826 - 10/08/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

tokingnome said:
Yeah, my GPA was not high enough to qualify, but they allow you to petition it if you have extenuating circumstances.

Sorry, but it's true. Aid money is scarce, it needs to go to people who can put it to use- you don't have a great track record at that, apparently.

Another option: Lots of jobs offer tuition reimbursement as a benefit. Worth looking around for.

Ok, I didn't fuck around and not pay attention, I did very well in my classes, it was just dropping a few after the drop deadline that fucked my GPA, not my poor classroom performance. Don't jump to conclusions.

And don't tell me about aid money going to people that can put it to use. Most of the people I talk to who had their aid pushed back as well have parents to fall back on but their parents can't pay the full thing or are just too greedy to pay for their tuition. I don't have any other means of paying for college, and if you understood my situation at the moment, you would realize getting a job to pay for it is impossible.

Basing how I acted in high school, essentially that's what I was in, is a poor way of determining whether or not I get financial aid. I guarantee I am probably one of the few people attending my college who are in dire need of financial aid.

Like I said, if I don't get any, I won't even be able to continue classes.

--------------------

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: Anyone here get financial aid for college? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11206831 - 10/08/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:

not exactly true.. i fucked up at my first attempt at school, dropped out, worked for a couple years then wanted to come back. priorities change, peoples' attitudes change.. i've been on the dean's list ever since going back to school. financial aid will give you the benefit of the doubt, but most likely only one chance. that's all i needed.

Offlinetokingnome
Stranger

Re: Anyone here get financial aid for college? [Re: Hendostan]
    #11206839 - 10/08/09 10:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hendostan said:
Quote:

Doc_T said:

not exactly true.. i fucked up at my first attempt at school, dropped out, worked for a couple years then wanted to come back. priorities change, peoples' attitudes change.. i've been on the dean's list ever since going back to school. financial aid will give you the benefit of the doubt, but most likely only one chance. that's all i needed.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear. My views on my education have changed entirely. I am actually glad to be back in school and all I am asking for is one chance to prove myself.

Again, thanks for the help.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1