Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetadziu
Monster Maker

Cakes... how wet is too wet???
    #11206475 - 10/08/09 11:04 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I've been following the PF tek and I'm using a martha. I've also been doing a lot of reading about ideal fruiting conditions and pinning triggers, etc and I have read that you don't want the cakes to be too wet...

I understand that the loss of moisture in the cakes from FAE is the #1 pinning trigger, followed by high RH, light, etc. Even if the RH is near 100% the cakes still must be misted directly and fanned regularly. I've also read that cakes that are too wet will perform poorly; however, I've also read that the concave top of the cake has a layer of verm and water can be saturated in this spot to help keep the cakes hydrated (which I've done), as can be seen here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9182856/fpart/1/vc/1.

This is obviously a slight contradiction to not keeping the cakes too wet so I would like to know how wet it too wet??

--------------------
This forum is here to discuss issues and to HELP other members...

If your answer to a posted question is simply going to be "use the search function" then why not make your post worthwhile and useful by providing them with a link that points them in the right direction... otherwise, keep it to yourself!

Edited by tadziu (10/08/09 11:11 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cakes... how wet is too wet??? [Re: tadziu]
    #11206508 - 10/08/09 11:12 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

because you are wetting the vermiculite when misting, not the mycelium directly.

the vermiculite acts as a micro-climate, keeping the RH% constant, as long as it is holding water.

verm will slowly release the moisture content

Offlinetadziu
Monster Maker

Re: Cakes... how wet is too wet??? [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11206665 - 10/08/09 11:51 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cyb3rtr0n said:
because you are wetting the vermiculite when misting, not the mycelium directly.

the vermiculite acts as a micro-climate, keeping the RH% constant, as long as it is holding water.

verm will slowly release the moisture content

Thanks, however, his doesn't answer the question of "how wet is too wet?"... or, are you saying that it's ok if the casing layer is wet as long at the whole cake itself (overgrowing myc) is not dripping wet?

I may be over-thinking this but with all of the conflicting info out there I just want somebody to clarify this for me and others so that there is an actual finalized answer!  :smile:

Cheers
T

--------------------
This forum is here to discuss issues and to HELP other members...

If your answer to a posted question is simply going to be "use the search function" then why not make your post worthwhile and useful by providing them with a link that points them in the right direction... otherwise, keep it to yourself!

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Cakes... how wet is too wet??? [Re: tadziu]
    #11206682 - 10/08/09 11:55 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

If your cake is soggy or squishy, it is too wet. If your verm is holding water to capacity, it is not too wet.
Too dry is a bigger concern than too wet, IMO. With cakes, at least.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: Cakes... how wet is too wet??? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11206796 - 10/08/09 12:16 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
If your cake is soggy or squishy, it is too wet. If your verm is holding water to capacity, it is not too wet.
Too dry is a bigger concern than too wet, IMO. With cakes, at least.

indeed..just mist it till you see it glisten around the cake...thats should be enough...just try it a few times so you can learn.......to be honest i think you are overthinking such a tedious task as misting ...and yes you can over wet them but its can be obvious that your misting TOO much......just a couple of pumps should be enough.....

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation