Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea
    #11199851 - 10/07/09 11:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1666868.html

" Word on the street: Watch out, poppy seed tea can kill you.

That’s no urban myth, says Jerry Young of Bowie, whose son died in late July, two weeks shy of his 19th birthday, from drinking a concoction of boiling water and poppy seed pods.

"There are other ways for kids to die, in car crashes and so on," he said. "But to die from making tea out of poppy seeds? It just blows you away. Every day I wake up and it feels like I’ve had this horrible nightmare."

Opiates such as morphine and heroin are distilled from the opium poppy. But the seeds and pods have such low levels of opiates that they are legally sold and readily available at some Tarrant County grocers and farmers markets, as well as over the Internet.

Tea extracts made from them, though, can contain enough opiates to provide a euphoric high and lead to overdoses.

Keller police found Cory Young dead in the Keller residence he shared with his older brother. Police found poppy pods in the home, police spokeswoman Brenda Slovak said Tuesday. An autopsy showed that the Central High School graduate died of "morphine intoxication," records show.

An official with the federal Drug Enforcement Administration said it had no information about death from poppy pods or seeds. "We haven’t heard anything about it," DEA Dallas spokeswoman Terri Wyatt said. "I haven’t seen anything with our lab in that regard."

But Jerry Young said the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office told him that his son "had enough morphine in his body to kill 10 or 20 adult people."

Young said his son learned about the seeds on the Internet and bought them at a farmers market on the Keller-Watauga border for $3 a pound. A farmers market official could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Young said he warned his son that the seeds were not safe. "The kids are all after it," he said. "It’s supposed to be a pleasant high, a euphoria effect that you get out of it."

After his son’s death, Young said he investigated the sale of the pods and seeds and found that they aren’t considered a "drug" or "herbal supplement." Seeds are used on bakery products such as bagels and cakes. The pods are often sold for craft projects, such as dry flower arrangements. When boiled in water, the pods can be potent enough to kill, Young said.

The potency "is completely unmeasurable," said Carol Young, Cory’s grandmother, who lives in Bowie. "None of it is regulated. One pod does not have the same potency as the next one. Not all poppies are the same kind of poppies."

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebluecurry
Dragons don't
Male User Gallery

Loc: half past purple, between... Flag
Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #11199941 - 10/07/09 11:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

To the father: your Son is dead and you possibly could have just killed more by trying to warn other parents in a public press release. If you were really worried about the safety of kids (which your son was not, he was an adult), get together with other parents, go to PTA meetings, go on forums dedicated to parenting. Don't go to the media.

Even then, the safety of the children aren't guaranteed. The first place I learned about drugs was in a PTA manual warning parents about drug use/effects when I was in elementary school. So sure, go ahead, do your part to inform the little kiddies, breed the next generation.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: bluecurry]
    #11200343 - 10/07/09 12:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

People should know that it can kill. Education saves lives.

InvisibleDr. Siekadellyk
Look at the corruption!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Floating amidst nothing Flag
Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11200634 - 10/07/09 01:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

everything can kill you....poppies are just on the list

--------------------
-My ISO list-

-My trade list-

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #11200643 - 10/07/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:

Amen.

--------------------

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #11200649 - 10/07/09 01:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:

Interesting. You learn something new every day.....

InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

#11200778 - 10/07/09 01:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

How did the DEA not know about the possibility of overdose from poppy pods and tea.

...And people still trust them to make drug law decisions.:rolleyes:

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: TTT]
    #11201798 - 10/07/09 04:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Some alkaloids remain on poppy seeds after they have been packaged and thus when large quantities are mixed with water (and perhaps boiled) the alkaloids (mainly morphine and the like) become dissolved in the water. The problem is that there is no way of telling just how much will be dissolved and that overdoses are likewise possible.

Thus I think this is a proper warning to parents. I did it too once or twice when I was younger and I loved it but it's true that there is no telling what dosage one is receiving and had they been abit more potent I might have overdosed from it instead. It's a good thing to be wary of.

Note that it takes a whole lot of poppy seed to do this.

Invisiblehihungry
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: Magick]
    #11202788 - 10/07/09 07:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

damn they better ot illegalize that shit like salvia or im gunna be pissed

--------------------
[gradient:#03FF07,#]They say, There aint no rest for the wicked -N- Money don't grow on trees? But I'm bad ass, Hell! And I need my sleep, So I'll smoke my weed for free![/gradient]

Offlinesorahtak
Tiger Hugger

#11203094 - 10/07/09 07:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
But Jerry Young said the Tarrant County medical examiner's office told him that his son "had enough morphine in his body to kill 10 or 20 adult people."

I'm surprised nobody even brought up the possibility that this could have been a suicide.

--------------------

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: sorahtak]
    #11204459 - 10/07/09 10:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

sorahtak said:
Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
But Jerry Young said the Tarrant County medical examiner's office told him that his son "had enough morphine in his body to kill 10 or 20 adult people."

I'm surprised nobody even brought up the possibility that this could have been a suicide.

That was on my mind after I read that. That's a lot of pods..

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: tempingasashaman]
    #11204730 - 10/07/09 11:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tempingasashaman said:
Quote:

sorahtak said:
Quote:

ShroomDoom said:

That was on my mind after I read that. That's a lot of pods..

SEEDS
pods are more standardized for dose

--------------------

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: Coaster]
    #11204964 - 10/08/09 12:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The kid took pods foo

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: tempingasashaman]
    #11205039 - 10/08/09 12:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Young said his son learned about the seeds on the Internet and bought them at a farmers market on the Keller-Watauga border for $3 a pound.

--------------------

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

#11205132 - 10/08/09 12:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Police found poppy pods in the home, police spokeswoman Brenda Slovak said Tuesday.

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: Coaster]
    #11205148 - 10/08/09 01:00 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
Quote:

Young said his son learned about the seeds on the Internet and bought them at a farmers market on the Keller-Watauga border for $3 a pound.

--------------------

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11205452 - 10/08/09 02:18 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
That?s no urban myth, says Jerry Young of Bowie, whose son died in late July, two weeks shy of his 19th birthday, from drinking a concoction of boiling water and poppy seed pods.

InvisibleDango_Bill
Seven
Female User Gallery

#11206337 - 10/08/09 08:24 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The article is very unclear. Did he die from poppy seed tea, or poppy pod tea? Pretty big difference...

OfflinePurple_spore
Compulsively Skeptical OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: nor cal Flag
Re: TX Father Warns Parents About The Dangers of Poppy Tea [Re: Dango_Bill]
    #11206449 - 10/08/09 08:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Pop' seed will never become illegal because of the huge legitimate  market for edible pop' seeds, have you ever tried them they are delicious seeds. Compared to other seeds that are mostly unappealing pop' seeds are mild in flavor and nutritious.

The real danger in pop' seed tea is that people don't believe that it has real morphine in it or in a very low concentration enough that you have to chug like a gallon of it, SO SO NOT TRUE. I usually snort 40 mil. of oxycodone and I'm still not nodding out, but with two pounds of organic seeds I'm in opiate heaven. I gave a friend whos never tryed it about a half a cups worth and he couldn't stay awake. VERY VERY STRONG STUFF PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THE POTENCY NOT TAKE THAT LIGHTLY.

--------------------
Safety first children :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates