Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

Re: Are the active wild mushrooms that grow in Pennsylvania in Audubon's guide? [Re: dankster]
    #11202986 - 10/07/09 07:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I found if you go out with only the interest of finding actives you most likely will not find any.

I look at it like this, if you don't learn how to spot or look properly for any kind of mushroom, how are you to expect to find a small number of actives(especially here in PA)? It greatly lowers your chances.

"The Teacher comes when the student is ready". If you believe mycellium has a consciousness(paul stamets sure does:)), then you may find yourself more interested in even the little random things you find.

I used to only go out looking for actives like a year ago and I found slim to nothing. Now I go outside in my yard and get excited to find a lot of Lacrymaria's or go into the woods and admire the strange patterns on Polyporus's :laugh:.

Get a guide though especially if your considering eating wild specimens. Also always take pictures and ask shroomery first. I consider myself a noob hunter, but I've had a lot of fun and am proud to be able to put "faces to names", even if only for a few kinds.

It's a lot of fun to learn and appreciate the nature around :laugh:. I'd suggest growing first(if your primary interest is actives) but in your off time hiking. even though winter is rearing it's head there are plenty of fungii hanging out.

Edited by smaerd (10/07/09 07:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Are the active wild mushrooms that grow in Pennsylvania in Audubon's guide? [Re: smaerd]
    #11203409 - 10/07/09 08:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That's a lot of good ideas, smaerd.  I don't know how it works with everyone, but my experience is like yours.  However I imagine if you hunt cow pastures for cubes in a place known to have them, you don't need much hunting experience to find what you want.  I was never a one species or one kind of species guy.  I'm interested in mushrooms, most mushrooms.  Only a few are boring to me.  I was all kinds of excited because I found some Tubaria today.

--------------------

InvisibleBretdaniel
Heavy Vibes

Re: Are the active wild mushrooms that grow in Pennsylvania in Audubon's guide? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #11203558 - 10/07/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I usually get excited too when I find mushrooms I've never seen before, I got Excited the other just finding Amanita Phalloides just because I've never seen em in person.

Most of the time when I go out hunting I'm never looking for actives or expecting to find them if I happen to run across them then I'm happy. The only mushrooms that actually bore me are Bolete's, they are all too plain.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Are the active wild mushrooms that grow in Pennsylvania in Audubon's guide? [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #11203633 - 10/07/09 09:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have two styles of hunting, Bret, and both are rewarding.  Sometimes I hunt for a specific mushroom.  I check out habitats focusing only on one mushroom species.  When I find it, it is very rewarding.  Makes me feel like I know what I'm doing.

The only is the Easter Egg approach.  I'm just out to find mushrooms in general, photographing and spore printing most of what I find.  I learn more on those hunts.

--------------------

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Trusted Identifier
Re: Are the active wild mushrooms that grow in Pennsylvania in Audubon's guide? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #11205062 - 10/08/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I do the same. Works well for me.

--------------------

OfflineDabnebula
Strangest
I'm a teapot
Re: Are the active wild mushrooms that grow in Pennsylvania in Audubon's guide? [Re: HerbBaker]
    #25190085 - 05/07/18 05:36 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, that's where I live!

This is my first season looking around here. Did a little in NJ past couple years.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds