Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelbtchnlgs
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today
    #11199997 - 10/07/09 11:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
October 07, 2009 12:10 PM
CBS 6 / Associated Press

Attorneys are preparing hundreds of petitions for resentencing under recent revisions to New York drug laws that take effect Wednesday.

The state's so-called Rockefeller era drug laws, once among the harshest in the nation, led a movement more than 30 years ago toward mandatory prison terms for drug crimes. Critics say experience shows the core issue is often addiction, with lower recidivism for those getting treatment instead of prison.

Governor David Paterson signed the reform into law last April. "Under the Rockefeller Drug Laws, we did not treat the people who were addicted; we locked them up under some of the nation's harshest sentences," Paterson said in a press release Wednesday. "Families were broken, money was wasted, and we continued to wrestle with a statewide drug problem. The reforms that take effect today address those problems."

New York Legal Aid Society attorney Bill Givney says they have about 270 possible New York City cases out of some 1,100 statewide identified by prison officials. He says petitions to criminal court judges requesting resentencing under the new lesser penalties will be filed over the next several weeks.

Paterson said the state has directed funds to support the implementation of the drug law reforms and related initiatives, including helping create or retain more than 400 new jobs or jobs that would have otherwise been eliminated.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/new-1267169-drug-york.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: lbtchnlgs]
    #11200599 - 10/07/09 01:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Probably the worst set of laws in the whole of the War on Drugs, and that's saying a lot.

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

InvisibleDutchie3k
Psychic Drifter
Male

Loc: this hazy bubble, state o...
Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: Dr.Myco87]
    #11201338 - 10/07/09 03:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

<---NYS resident, and I can tell you.  A blind man is the only one who can see through the shit-fog of New York politics, these days.  Big up David Patterson though, seriously.
Got my vote back when :cool:

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later"

Offlinethedestroyer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: Dr.Myco87]
    #11201454 - 10/07/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The real issue or danger i feel is the prison industrial complex, the legal system, and also the many people and corporations that benefit from prohibition. where i live in Florida aside from tourism and oranges there is little industry. Some towns in the north like Stark are completely reliant on the prisons located in the area, they suck long and hard on the hairy nipple of mandatory minimums. Being a prison guard or any other part of the pig regime seems a short cut to thinking or maybe it is more like people ranching? What i wonder is what to do with the real criminals when this "war" ends, these often brutal no talent sheriff Arpio types? The transition from solider to civilian can be a great strain on an individual, at least with the military one can maybe learn something that can be applied to peace. What will the contribution of prison guards and other pigs be when they are made redundant by the end of the drug war? will they allow themselves to be made worthless or as i suspect devolve into what they really are dictators, tyrants and megalomaniacs?

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: thedestroyer]
    #11201654 - 10/07/09 04:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Don't worry.  New York has FAR more serious criminals in need of incarceration than we have room for. Those few released under the reform won't mean a hill of beans to the criminal justice "industry" 'round  here.

We have pedophiles, murderers, extortionists, rapists, and corrupt politicians and cops galore.

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

InvisibleDutchie3k
Psychic Drifter
Male

Loc: this hazy bubble, state o...
Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: Nature Boy]
    #11201680 - 10/07/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah there are eight local cops from my area, including a Police Chief, Deputy Chief, and several sargeants that either just went to prison, are about to go to prison, or are in the process of being convicted.  And that's just the cops :laugh:

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later"

Offlinedcox420
Adrenaline Junkie
 User Gallery

Loc: South East USA
Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: thedestroyer]
    #11203386 - 10/07/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thedestroyer said:
The real issue or danger i feel is the prison industrial complex, the legal system, and also the many people and corporations that benefit from prohibition. where i live in Florida aside from tourism and oranges there is little industry. Some towns in the north like Stark are completely reliant on the prisons located in the area, they suck long and hard on the hairy nipple of mandatory minimums. Being a prison guard or any other part of the pig regime seems a short cut to thinking or maybe it is more like people ranching? What i wonder is what to do with the real criminals when this "war" ends, these often brutal no talent sheriff Arpio types? The transition from solider to civilian can be a great strain on an individual, at least with the military one can maybe learn something that can be applied to peace. What will the contribution of prison guards and other pigs be when they are made redundant by the end of the drug war? will they allow themselves to be made worthless or as i suspect devolve into what they really are dictators, tyrants and megalomaniacs?

I agree wholeheartedly. The privatization of the prison system just added another special interest group who is willing to pay to keep the war on drugs going. Oh and of course our ever so corrupt elected officials just stand by with their hands out. Hell even our judges, I've read soooo many articles about judges getting busted taking pay offs to increase sentences. You know what they should do is set mandatory sentencing minimums for corruption of government employees and elected officials to 15-25 per offense.

--------------------

My Busa...Nothing better than hitting the highway at 3am with no traffic and kicking it up to 110-120.

Invisibledressel11
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Milky Way
Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: dcox420]
    #11203952 - 10/07/09 09:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

that would be tight and probably pretty effective. To bad the government officials would have to pass it. If we could just get the power back to the people where it belongs we could simply demand it.

Offlinedondoodle
Stranger
Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: dressel11]
    #11204405 - 10/07/09 10:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ok like usual the shitty government owned by the corporations in this so called reform bill has decided to lower the so called kingpin laws which means a whole lot of people will now be getting A felonies for posessing or selling 75,000 dollars worth of drugs as defined by the principleless police. So now what you will have is people getting life in jail possibly with no chance of parole.

This bill was nothing but trickery so dont celebrate. I suggest anyone who does sales or possesses whatever will qualify as 75,000 dollars of possession or sales in a 1 year period pack heat and shoot a few cops in the head because they will try to make you rot in jail for life.

--------------------
End American imperialism and colonization around the world and among the people conquered within the domestic empire.

InvisibleNIDcommand
lurker
 User Gallery

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: 'Rockefeller' drug law changes take effect today [Re: Dutchie3k]
    #11205585 - 10/08/09 02:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ahhh a webster local i see

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains