Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
according to this...
    #11200866 - 10/07/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

its a bitch to grow salvia!:shakefist:

https://files.shroomery.org/cms/5093093-SalviaGrowersGuide.pdf

good read anyways.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: according to this... [Re: ferrel_human]
    #11200949 - 10/07/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ferrel_human said:
its a bitch to grow salvia!:shakefist:

https://files.shroomery.org/cms/5093093-SalviaGrowersGuide.pdf

good read anyways.

well not really but it sure seems like a lot.

wish me luck.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Invisiblejds

#11200973 - 10/07/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It is a bitch but it's not that hard

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: according to this... [Re: jds]
    #11200999 - 10/07/09 02:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

good to know.

--------------------
-Karode

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

#11201030 - 10/07/09 02:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I got yer back if that cutting fails, don't worry.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: according to this... [Re: drift]
    #11201082 - 10/07/09 02:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

drift said:
I got yer back if that cutting fails, don't worry.

its cool the thats not the cutting. that one is rooting under lights. this is a thriving one. its acually doing good and i'm mystified as to why. i thought i had a green thumb and time will tell if i do.

its starting to grow and all. tiny little sproutlings at the bottom.

then i read parts of the pdf and it totally shot me down.

i'm trying to harden it off to let it get used to room tempature and dryer air. we'll see what happens.

--------------------
-Karode

Invisiblejds

#11201090 - 10/07/09 02:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

salvia is pretty hardy, but it easily gets sad if there's any stress. Once your plant is established unless something really bad happens it shouldn't die randomly

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#11201127 - 10/07/09 02:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

easily sad i know. i left it in the humidty  for a day then took it out and misted it. came back and was all wilted. misted it again and the same. i put it back in the bottle and it perked up nicely.

i will now wait and dismantle the bottle little by little until its out in the open.

--------------------
-Karode

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

#11201131 - 10/07/09 02:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HellDragon said:
salvia is pretty hardy, but it easily gets sad if there's any stress. Once your plant is established unless something really bad happens it shouldn't die randomly

Yup. The only things that should kill it are spider mites and storms. It seems like salvia goes out of her way to snap in the wind -- I guess she has to since the plant rarely sets viable seed.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#11201150 - 10/07/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

drift said:
Quote:

HellDragon said:

Yup. The only things that should kill it are spider mites and storms. It seems like salvia goes out of her way to snap in the wind -- I guess she has to since the plant rarely sets viable seed.

drift, do you mean that if it snaps it roots easily in natural habitat? that would be cool and it would somehow be like when cacti do it.

--------------------
-Karode

Invisiblejds

#11201160 - 10/07/09 02:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

One cool thing about salvia is it can be acclimatized to a bunch of different lighting conditions, so if you use a HPS for cacti you can just put it a few ft away and it wouldn't mind. It takes pretty much any light cycles I give it too.

--------------------

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#11201191 - 10/07/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Light
Salvia divinorum does best in filtered sunlight. Conventional wisdom is to avoid all direct sunlight and such advice
is, by and large, good advice. We have found, however, that once acclimated, S. divinorum does fine with some
direct sunlight each day. A plant that gets too much direct sunlight will start to develop smaller deformed and
coarse leaves.
Once they have been potted into soil, we grow all our plants in natural sunlight. The single best supplement to
natural light is a high pressure sodium (HPS) lamp. An HPS lamp is more efficient than an equivalent watt metal
halide lamp and its spectrum of light is more conducive to the rooting of new cuttings. As a supplement to naturallight, a 400 watt HPS lamp will illuminate a primary growing area of just under 2 square meters (about 6 ft x 6 ft).
For growers with three or fewer plants, a 250 watt HPS lamp should suffice.
Plants grown exclusively under a sodium lamp, however, will be slightly leggier than plants grown under a metal
halide lamp. Therefore, if you are growing S. divinorum without any natural light and want to mazimize vegetative
growth, a metal halide lamp is your best choice (Chomicz 1998).
Valdés reported that his plants did well under cool white VHO fluorescent lights (Valdés et al. 1987). Another
grower has successfully used a 400 watt metal halide lamp to illiminate a 2.5 square meter (about 8 ft x 8 ft)
growing space (Beifuss 1997). He reports that the leaves lighten in color, but this does not seem to harm the plants
nor affect their potency.
When using a high-watt lamp (HPS or metal halide), keep the lamp at least two feet above the plants to avoid
burning them. A reddish blush to the leaves indicates that the light is still too close to the plant tops. Because
high-watt lamps emit a dry heat, extra misting may be necessary. Before doing this, however, shield the lamp from
water droplets. Hot lamps can explode if water hits them!
Under artifical light, S. divinorum foliage is maximized with eighteen hours of light per day. To produce flowers,
natural or artificial light must be reduced to no more than 11 hours per day.

--------------------
-Karode

Invisiblejds

#11201208 - 10/07/09 03:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

18h? That's what they get most of the time from my 400W HPS :tongue:, I didn't know they liked HPS that much, I kept reading it would just burn them. Mine are a few ft away from it but they seem happy.

--------------------

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

#11203035 - 10/07/09 07:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ferrel_human said:
Quote:

drift said:
Quote:

HellDragon said:

drift, do you mean that if it snaps it roots easily in natural habitat? that would be cool and it would somehow be like when cacti do it.

Yup, that's how salvia propagates itself. Notice the stems are hollow and weak: once it gets to a certain height, the plant really likes to snap unless you stake it.

Invisiblejds

#11203044 - 10/07/09 07:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I broke one of my salvia by letting a t-shirt fall on it :mad:. The stem snapped in half. I just kept the bottom to branch out and put the top in water and it rooted.

--------------------

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #11203295 - 10/07/09 08:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

drift said:
Quote:

ferrel_human said:
Quote:

drift said:
Quote:

HellDragon said:

Yup, that's how salvia propagates itself. Notice the stems are hollow and weak: once it gets to a certain height, the plant really likes to snap unless you stake it.

For sure. In its native habitat it grows in clumps because of this, it actually is much like certain cacti. Grow to a certain point, weight breaks of stems/offshoots, offshoot/stems root and grow.
What is also interesting is that in the wild they will often grow against other plants, leaning on them for support. They will then grow kind of tall, and if they don't break they will continue getting bigger and fuller, as if they are trying their hardest to snap off and propagate.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Offline1upshroom
Plant Collector
Male

Loc: On the eastern edge
Re: according to this... [Re: satyr]
    #11203536 - 10/07/09 08:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just grew mine in the bathroom plenty of humidity there it got about 5 feet tall then one day it broke so I had to cut it up to make more plants.

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: according to this... [Re: satyr]
    #11203666 - 10/07/09 09:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Plants are amazing... We were just going over plant evolution in my Botany class the other day.... All the different ways plants have adapted to get certain animals to eat them, shit out the seeds, the seeds get carried by some ant that likes something on them, that piece gets eaten, and the ant puts it back on the surface right where it needs to be.... Incredible some of the lengths plants have evolved to in order to propagate themselves...

--------------------

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

Loc: Luxury
Re: according to this... [Re: theMallacht]
    #11203709 - 10/07/09 09:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

did you talk about the fig tree in your class?

how they propagate is amazing

--------------------

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: according to this... [Re: theMallacht]
    #11203982 - 10/07/09 09:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thanks guys,this is very useful information. i often wondered why most of the pics of salvia i seen they are either staked up or grow leaning.

--------------------
-Karode

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds