Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

I wanna quit smoking
    #11201072 - 10/07/09 04:37 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I have quit about 3 times for a year or more between starting again.

I always think that I can just have 1 cig, and be fine, but that 1 cig turns into several and before I know it, i'm buying cigs.

Right now, I'm trying nicotine gum, but I haven't dedicated myself to quit.

At night before I go to sleep, I say "Ok, no cigarettes tomorrow"  But I want one as soon as I wake up.

I may have about 5 cigs a day and a couple of pieces of nicotine gum. I don't smoke after I get home and if I really need some nicotine, I'll use the gum.

I really want to quit for good, but I can't win against the nicotine urges.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #11204543 - 10/08/09 01:10 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

My grandma still chews the gum everyday. She quit about 20 years ago, smoked for 40 something years before that.

Nicotine is one hell of an addicting drug.

Put your mind to it, and you can get over it. You have to find things to fill that void.

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #11206170 - 10/08/09 09:22 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tempingasashaman said:
Put your mind to it, and you can get over it. You have to find things to fill that void.

The longer you wait the harder it gets. You gotta drop it cold turkey. Something to consider would be to take a day or two off work and go on a small not-gonna-smoke-all-day trip, just to change the scenery so that you wont have as many of those reminders of cigarette break time.

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: eligal]
    #11206880 - 10/08/09 12:30 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

i used the patch to help me ease of smoking... took a few trys... sometimes i would end up smoking with it on....  but eventually i completely quit. 

now i have not had one for over a year.... they smell and taste sooooo gross!!!

but weed on the other hand is goood!

Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11207552 - 10/08/09 02:25 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Don't try to think about not having a cigarette.  just don't do it.  I know that is easy to say, but once you figure out everything it will just happen.

another reason not to think about not having one, is because you will build up an anxiety about it.  fear of the unknown: "what am I going to replace smoking with"  and for me, when I smoked smoking cigaretts helped with anxieties.  so creating an anxiety against something that soothes it, is like a never-ending cycle.

also, once you get use the smoke filling your lungs, and mouth tasting like an ashtray, that becomes your comfort zone..  when the "withdrawal" effects of the nicotine(or whatever other chemical) dependency kick in.--  you know its an easy fix to get back into the comfort zone by lighting up another cigg..

I smoked cigaretts for about 6 years:  got to a point where I was smoking close to 2 packs a day.  We use to be allowed to smoke during work (auto assembly). luckily I quit before they quit allowing that.  forced to go from freedom to curb the nicotine fix/something-to-do feeling  with chain smoking; to only being able to smoke outdoors during breaks, must have been tough...

not to mention if at a bar, or any other thing social where another person smoked..

it all just became habit..

after trying to quit quite a few different times. I finally tried the nicotine Patch(whatever max dosage was) that was sitting in my cabinet for about 6 months unused.

I started putting the patch on my shoulder before I went into work, work was the time I smoked the most..  I alternated a new patch every day between each shoulder.  I do remember a few times feeling a burning slight pain.it wasnt hurting, it was just noticeable.

after a few days of wearing the patch, cigarettes started having a odd taste.  I didnt stop smoking totally like the directions said..    i did notice less of a craving.

at the same time I started using the patch I joined a gym with a friend I worked with.  this was the final nail in the cigg addictions coffin.  after only a few days of starting working out, i could smell the cigg smoke which I coould not smell before.  I smelt it on myself and it didnt go away, even when putting clean clothes on  in the gym locker.

when I did cardio I noticed that my lung capacity increased very fast as I cut back on the smoking drastically. 

it was about day 4 when i cut back from 2 packs to about 4 or 5 ciggs a day, most of  while working, and one before going to bed.

finally at about day 7 i didn't have any ciggs at all.. but, i noticed my anxiety was a little hi just looking for something to do to fill the space of time i use to spend smoking, the action of smoking became habit.

well, that's basically what ended up working for me..  It took about 3 or 4 months where I felt that I could sit with someone else who is smoking and not have a little temptation to just have one puff...

goodluck

OnlineOthyem
Male

Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11207626 - 10/08/09 02:39 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Drink lots of water. Get plenty of exercise. Find a hobby that keeps your hands busy. Smoke weed when you get a bad craving. Those are the things I did to help me quit cold turkey.

OfflineArose Chaos
Simple Man
Male

Loc: West Coast
Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: Othyem]
    #11207803 - 10/08/09 03:06 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yea I just recently quit, my wife finally got tired of smoke breath ect...

Just stop for like 4-5 days, it sucks but when you light up again after that it should taste like shit, at least it did for me, then it made it that much easier to quit cold turkey.

--------------------
<<WOW
"There is nofhing noble in being superior to your fellow man;
true nobility is being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

Anonymous #2

Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: Arose Chaos]
    #11244259 - 10/14/09 07:24 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I have now quit after a year of trying, i rate my chances of ever starting again extremely low as i have completely destroyed the urge to smoke. When i am drinking its a little bit different, that took me longer to sort out and has been the leading contributor to me not being able to give up as quickly as hoped - but recently i have destroyed the urge to smoke when drinking also.

My trick was just not setting any goals funnily enough, people place way too much importance on setting goals - goals are totally irrelevant to curing addiction. Its like chopping the hands off thieves, they are still fucking thieves lol - all you did is make it harder for them to steal shit.

So i just focused mainly on the addiction in a scheme i came up with myself. Every time i took a smoke i just convinced myself how nasty this shit really tastes and focused on it intensely, making all the disgusting tastes materialize in my mind and accentuate themselves on my tongue (i believe that through addiction your mind convinces itself that cigarette smoke tastes good, when it really doesnt - i figured reversing this addiction imposed mindset would help reverse addiction itself).

Eventually the taste of cigarettes became more and more nastier and unbearable to the point i threw out my last tobacco.

At the same time i started focusing on the addictive urges, for this i simply told myself addiction is a retarded situation - you can control any aspect of your mind. I told myself i can stop myself from being addicted, that i have more control over my mind than this alkaloid.

Soon enough i stopped having any sober urges to smoke. I just stopped (apart from smoking when drinking) it was so ridiculously easy, i got none of the withdrawal symptoms, strong urges & stress that people talk about. I just stopped and never really thought about it again.

Then there was the issue of drinking and smoking, which has taken me ages to stop. But i think its a different problem all together, its habit - not addiction. It kept the addiction ball rolling for me, constant weekend nicotine hits - and leftover packets kept part of the addiction still going.

All i had to do was conquer my self control when i am drunk, something i thought was impossible. But i have in the mean time actually started drinking less for sheer boredom of getting drunk. The less alcohol i drink the greater my self control, the less i smoke.

Conquering addiction overall for me was extremely easy, it just takes insight and patience.

Anonymous #1

Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #11244498 - 10/14/09 09:53 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I'm 5 days nicotine free. No gum, cigs, skoal or cigars. Catching a cold also helped.

OnlineOthyem
Male

#11244551 - 10/14/09 10:09 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Congrats man keep it up.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: Othyem]
    #11249614 - 10/15/09 12:35 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

If you really want to quit, the ONLY thing to do is: Not smoke. Just say no. Not easy but if you follow it every time, it works 100%

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #11250123 - 10/15/09 01:56 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
I have quit about 3 times for a year or more between starting again.

I always think that I can just have 1 cig, and be fine, but that 1 cig turns into several and before I know it, i'm buying cigs.

Right now, I'm trying nicotine gum, but I haven't dedicated myself to quit.

At night before I go to sleep, I say "Ok, no cigarettes tomorrow"  But I want one as soon as I wake up.

I may have about 5 cigs a day and a couple of pieces of nicotine gum. I don't smoke after I get home and if I really need some nicotine, I'll use the gum.

I really want to quit for good, but I can't win against the nicotine urges.

You can't win with that attitude! :wink: But of course you can win against nicotine urges, it's just a matter of time and trying out a bunch of different methods until you eventually have given up completely.

One of the difficulties with giving anything up is, the more we try not to do it or think about it and the more we remind our selves not to do it or think about it, the more we actually think about it... and then we make it more difficult not to do it.

So my advice is to not try and convince yourself in advance to not smoke nothing at all. Instead, deal with each craving one at a time as it might happen. Now, how you deal with the craving is up to you and there's lots of options... nicotine gum or patches can work for many people. But on top of that, to address the cognitive side of the craving, perhaps create a thought stopping strategy or a mindfulness meditation strategy to address the cravings only as they occurred.

Thought stopping... First think of something you could replace thoughts of smoking with, such as a relaxing/exciting scene or even a cheer squad encouraging you to keep doing whatever else you were doing before you thought about smoking. Then once you decide on that, when you catch yourself thinking about smoking, interrupt the process by saying to yourself (either internally or externally) "STOP", and bring in the alternative thought of encouragement or relaxation or excitement. Then repeat that each time you thought of smoking.

Mindfulness meditation... This is a process of noticing but not participating in the cognitive process that goes on when you have cravings. So when you notice a craving, rather than trying to resist it or analyse it, you could just notice it and be with it. And with that you'll find that the nature of the craving will change. With a bit of practice with this technique, after a few days it'll be like "oh there's the craving again... ho hum... [notice and wait] and there it goes away again..."

Persistence is the thing that will eventually win with giving up smoking completely. Keep ya chin up and if ya fall of the wagon, just dust yourself off and get back on again..

All the best with it.
:peace:

--------------------

Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: Mufungo]
    #11250160 - 10/15/09 02:02 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I remember when I finally quit: I would try and catch the urge as it happened and really get lost in trying to think about why I had the urge for a smoke,what triggered it, etc.. 

Eventually, I realized how easy it was just to go along with it and light up.  Once I started catching it more and more, it became that much more convincing to quit

OfflineDreamRoom
Hunter
Male

Loc: 60 miles from New Orleans
Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11250389 - 10/15/09 02:53 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I have successfully quit smoking weed because of an upcoming job opportunity which requires drug testing.  It was like giving up candy compared to my dip.

I will try to quit soon (again), drinking always makes it harder.  My old man doesn't drink beer to this day because it still gives him cravings to smoke.  He has been free for about 20-25 years, he used the patch back in the 80's.

You aren't alone in relapsing with the "I can just have one" after months of tobacco free living.  That is how I started up again the last time that I thought I was through with it.

Offlinewalkingeyeball
Dreamer
Female

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: DreamRoom]
    #11258955 - 10/16/09 12:26 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I've never been addicted to cigs, but everyone I know who has quit says that it's hard to give up the motion of putting your hands up to your mouth. Try snacking on peanuts or candy or something when you feel an urge to smoke. Doing the motion may help relieve the anxiety.

--------------------
"We come from the stars
We have no ships
We travel from mind to mind
As you open your heart
We enter your body
As you open your heart
We enter your imagination
As you open your heart
We enter your dreams "

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: walkingeyeball]
    #11258990 - 10/16/09 12:30 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Tea Tree chewing sticks are helping.

InvisibleMiddlemanM
melomaniac

Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: Fraggin]
    #11260513 - 10/16/09 04:58 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Licorice root. :thumbup: Not too much though cause it turns your poop green, scared the hell out of me till I found out what caused it. :lol:

OfflineAmonSacha
Stranger
Re: I wanna quit smoking [Re: Middleman]
    #11261811 - 10/16/09 08:24 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

If you really have problems quitting chantix may help.

I know there are varying opinions on prescription drugs on this forum, however I have had some success after taking it for a month then stopping, most people who finish the whole regimen stay quit. You can still smoke weed but cigarettes will make you sick. It's really crazy.

Best of luck on the quit, I personnally am still trying, it's definitely an uphill battle.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being