Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Loc: Where ppl are herded and ... Flag
piss like aroma
    #11187338 - 10/05/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

heys trippers, i'm getting worried about my babies and really need some input.

first off i can't post a pic although i'll do my best to give the most thourough explanation i can. also i'm new around here so if this is a type of post yall see quite often, please bear with me and help me out anyway :wink:

i had a couple of jars (lipa yai... hence my name) i was waiting to finish up that i actually forgot about! they didn't sit around too too long but a guestamate would be about 3 weeks (tops) of sitting around when all the mycelium had (or just about) colonized. one of the jars had a touch of black rott from where it touched a small puddle of water inside the jar. i didn't birth this one. the rest looked just fine with no sign of any forign mold or whathaveyou. i didn't notice any stinky smells either when i poured in my dunk water.

ok so when i finally got around to sterilizing my perlite, water, verm and terrarium... i cold-shocked/dunked and then birthed the next day. this was around a week n a half to 2 weeks ago. there is no sign of forign mold present yet there is no sign of the mycelium "fuzzing" up around the vermiculite (from the roll) either :frown: they haven't done much of anything except exude a slight "cat-piss" like aroma. does this stink signify the prescence of bacterial infection?

the RH isn't too high in the bin either. the walls aren't even dewey, they are pretty bare of moisture actually. i was going to wait until pinning took off b4 i really brought up the RH. i haven't been fanning out my bin that much either. could this be a trigger in causing the smellyness?

i'm not seeing any dark, wet spots on any of the cakes. no sign of contamination from molds either. what does this sound like? i'll tell you what it smells like.... cat piss. though not nearly as pungent.

peace and luv homies :mushroom2:

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

Re: piss like aroma [Re: Lipa Kreepa]
    #11187946 - 10/05/09 04:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Do you own a cat? Is there any chance one came in and used your FC as a litter box? :wink:

Do you have the cakes sitting on aluminum foil ABOVE the perlite?

is the "mycellium" that is covering your verm from the dunk and roll, is it grey thin and very fluffy? That could be cobweb mold.

I'm not sure but I just figured I'd ask lol

Edited by smaerd (10/05/09 04:01 PM)

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Re: piss like aroma [Re: smaerd]
    #11196836 - 10/06/09 09:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i do own a cat but there's no possible way he could've done his buisness in the bin. it's always sealed shut and the lid is weighed down with books and wooden boxes. it just has a piss-like aroma, similar to a cat and very faint. it's not too stinky but its definately noticable.

the cakes are off the perlite. they're on jar lids. the perlite is just slightly damp too. its not soggy by any means.

no the mycelium isn't gray at all, although it has dulled its color (looks sort of like a cake thats gone thru several flushes, minus the bruising). nothing brown, green or black growing on em either. the mycelium hasn't done much of anything actually. it just seems to have stalled out. normally after a nice birthing they fuzz the fuck up and the lipas are said to be highly rhizomatic so i'm not sure what the deal is.

them bastards have gone catatonic! they just sit there and stink up the place.

does stinkyness always accompany a bacterial contaminant? it is somewhat of a musky and sourish type of smell. sound like bacteria?

--------------------

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

#11196869 - 10/06/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I havent really encountered anything stinky in my times. I have heard stink is usually a good symptom of infection but I'm not an expert. Is there any chance your over humidfying it, maybe not enough FAE?

Psilocybe cakes don't smell too good in my experiances they smell very shroomy, whereas oyster mushroom smells sweet and almondy.

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

#11197083 - 10/06/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

if anything the perlite is on the drier side. no, i'm not fanning it as much as i should. i'm pretty discouraged about the possible contamination and motivation for upkeep has diminished greatly. these are my last cakes and were going to be used for printing :frown: but oh well i guess thats life. have to wait it out and hope for the best i guess. thanks for the help buddy.

--------------------

Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

#11197191 - 10/06/09 10:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yea if it is getting worse bury them outside under a bush or something, maybe a little tomb-stone(they might come back though!). Is this one of your first ones? It's easy to get frusterated, second one has a greater chance of success!

I'm surprised no one else responded to this, I feel bad responding and thread-hogging but I'm glad I helped you out a little bit.

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

#11200804 - 10/07/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

no not my first time. been baking cakes for years, though i just recently have learned the wicked wrath of bacteria.... aside from a little blotch on the caps here and there. i'm guessing its a bacterial thang. there's something not right about the odor. nothing earthy or healthy, so yea i think its time to bury them babies. you're right, sometimes something does pop up.... unless the roaches or slugs get to em first :wink:

i guess its time for a funeral.
better luck next go. thanks again for helping out buddy.

:mushroom2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom