Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegreengrover
Stranger
Gymnopilus? What is this?
    #11198375 - 10/07/09 01:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, guys! Beginner here and first post. I'd lurked here at one point, but I finally came across a really interesting batch of shrooms and I was interested in seeing what they were, and if they were at all active with psilocybin. At first they struck me as gymnopilus, but with more examination, I've just come up a bit confused. The most striking thing (for me) is how similarly these bruise blue/green upon tampering/handling.

Habitat: Grassy road divider near a tree growing in soil. General area is very wooded. Location is Houston, Texas area.

Gills: Dark brown/black on most mature. Youngest specimen was yellow. Appears to have pores as opposed to gills. Sponge-like.

Stem: Length varies from about one to five inches. Diameter from about an inch up to three. Quite firm.

Cap: 2-5 inches in diameter, mostly brown/reddish, sponge-like feel; soft, I'll let the pictures do the talking otherwise as I'm fairly inexperienced with identification, so. I'd say they look depressed, however. Convex on the smaller ones, more wavy/depressed on the larger.

Spore print color: Official spore print pending, but when I touched the underside of one of these earlier, it left an orangeish/rusty color.

Bruising: This is what mostly catches my attention. These things bruise very intensely blue/green.

Other information: These shrooms smell very earthy. A bit like regular store-bought table shrooms.

(Sorry for the poor quality. This was the best I could get out of this camera at the moment. I'll try to take more pictures later if necessary.)

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I've missed any rules with this post.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAgent 47
Male

Loc: Western PA Flag
Re: Gymnopilus? What is this? [Re: greengrover]
    #11198397 - 10/07/09 01:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like an old bolete.

OfflineIcelandicSojourn
Monist in Training
Male

Loc: Valleys of the Natives
    #11198400 - 10/07/09 01:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Gymnopilus sp. have gills.  This is a blue-bruising boletus sp., which makes it not active, and possibly toxic.

--------------------
Ne me parlez plus de politique
Je veux sauver ma vie    :peace:

Offlinemycot
Crazy as fuck
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Gymnopilus? What is this? [Re: IcelandicSojourn]
    #11198419 - 10/07/09 02:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

IcelandicSojourn said:
Gymnopilus sp. have gills.

Elementary

Offlinegreengrover
Stranger
Re: Gymnopilus? What is this? [Re: IcelandicSojourn]
    #11198439 - 10/07/09 02:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ah, thanks for the quick responses! Looking it up a bit more it looks like these are most likely boletes. I wasn't aware that non-active mushrooms could exhibit the blue/green staining so this was pretty exciting to come across at first.

And, yeah. The pores/gills thing is what kept me wary of being sure that these were gymnopilus, but I didn't want to ditch 'em until I was sure they were inactive.

Thanks again!

OfflineIcelandicSojourn
Monist in Training
Male

Loc: Valleys of the Natives
    #11198448 - 10/07/09 02:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No problem.  If you are or ever are into eating mushrooms as food, boletes are a good place to start.  The rule "...is to avoid any bolete with orange to red pores, especially any that bruises blue."

--------------------
Ne me parlez plus de politique
Je veux sauver ma vie    :peace:

Edited by IcelandicSojourn (10/07/09 02:15 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck