Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
Baffled by Bacteria?
    #11196666 - 10/06/09 10:49 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I moved to a new place and at my old place I had problems with trich. I now moved to a new place and I dont get trich I get bacteria in everything. I have a flowhood I use an N95 mask, I wear latex gloves, I take a shower,brush my teeth, use mouth wash. I use rubbing alcohol on everything. I get bacteria in my petri dishes and I get bacteria in my LC's. I heat my incoulation loop red hot and heat my syringe needles red hot. I even run my flowhood for 3 hours in a small room before doing any work. The only thing I can think of is that this place has a swamp cooler. I went up on the roof and the filter did look nasty. The system flushes itself with fresh water everyday. I cant think of any other reason im getting so much bacteria. I even resorted to jars and filled them with agar and then PCed them for 35min. They dont contam at all until I open them and use my inoculation loop to swab spores. I even tried about 10 different prints but I get bacteria on the outside where I didnt even touch.I get bacteria even when the swampcooler is off and running my flow for hours. I spray the prefilter and filter with rubbing alcohol. IS my problem the swampcooler?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Baffled by Bacteria? [Re: Cloneufc]
    #11200878 - 10/07/09 04:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I doubt you're getting a bacterial problem from the swamp cooler - that would be more of a mold issue. Where are you getting your spores? Are you trying to isolate directly on agar? You may be using too many spores.

If the tissue or spores you're using are wild, you'll need to use antibiotic agar or the hot agar sandwich tek (pouring a layer of hot agar on top and then scraping away the mycelium when it recovers and pokes out through the top) to isolate away from bacteria.

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Re: Baffled by Bacteria? [Re: Brennus]
    #11202279 - 10/07/09 07:57 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I tried using no spores and just opening my petri dishes for a few seconds and then closing them in front of my flowhood. I then get bacteria in my agar. I disconnected my Swamp cooler and taped all the vents up really good. I still think bacteria can live on a swamp cooler along with mold. To rule out my flowhood not working right, Im going to try using a glovebox. My spores came from an indoor grow and other from trades, but it doesnt matter because I tried without any spores. I even tried several other batches of agar incase that was contaminated.

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11219669 - 10/10/09 10:11 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds like you're doing a lot of complicated techniques, but perhaps you can put one of those room hepa filters in your workspace?

I have a small 1 bed room apt, 2 cats and 1 40lb dog. I haven't encountered contams yet with my jars and I incoulated under the kitchen's vent.

Maybe you can lysol the room? Perhaps you need a glovebox. I would be worried for your health, however, if you have THAT much crap floating in your living environment.

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Re: Baffled by Bacteria? [Re: po0dingles]
    #11225094 - 10/11/09 06:52 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Tracing contams can be tough. It was the swamp cooler. Its full of mold and bacteria. I disconnected it because winter is comming. We had a couple of hot days and that evaporated all the left over moisture in it. All the vents are taped up really good. I opened all the windows in the house and ran my flowhood for hours on end. Two days after I did this my agar bacterial contams dropped a ton. I can now use agar once again. I still get bacteria but its like 2 in 10 vs 10 for 10. I posted this for anyone who has a swamp cooler and is having contam problems.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #11226120 - 10/11/09 01:34 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Next season put use bleach in your swamp cooler at about 1% that will ensure you have a clean system.

I would test your flow hood as well (if you have not done so already), open a plain PDA petri in front of the air flow for about 30 seconds, seal and wait for about a week to see if anything grows.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #11226419 - 10/11/09 02:33 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
I can now use agar once again. I still get bacteria but its like 2 in 10 vs 10 for 10. I posted this for anyone who has a swamp cooler and is having contam problems.

20% contamination is not acceptable. You should be getting near perfect success, once you figure out where the bacteria is coming from. I doubt it's the swamp cooler unless you left it running while you did sterile work in front of the flowhood.  Is your flowhood in a small room with a tight fitting door?  If not, put it in one.  By running the flowhood for an hour before you start work, the air in a small room should be completely clean.  Be sure to shut off all fans, humidifiers, etc., other than the flowhood before starting work.

One of the biggest causes of bacteria in petri dishes is the fingernails of the cultivator.  You can't wash with soap, alcohol, peroxide, etc., enough to get the bacteria out from under your fingernails.  Always use gloves.

The exhaled breath of the cultivator is another major vector of contamination.  If you fail to control your breath with a surgical mask, you can easily exhale at a greater velocity than the flowhood, thus sending your bad breath right into the petri dishes. Watch the video clips on my site covering agar and strain isolation to get tips on how to hold your hands when using a flowhood.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Re: Baffled by Bacteria? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11237474 - 10/13/09 03:32 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The bad thing in the room is the computer. Computers have fans, also the door is tight but it has the common 1 inch under the door.I put a towel under it now. The room also had a trash can in it. The trash can is now out of there. It also didnt help that the room reached temperatures of 120 degrees with the flowhood on and about 95-105 degrees with it off on a daily basis. Desert climate can suck. The temperature has now dropped to a steady 70-75 degrees. I get way more contams here in the summer due to the extreme heat.

I did see your video and have been using those techniques, they proved very helpful. I dont pass any fingers or hands behind any dishes that can blow contams into my work. I always use gloves and I always use an N95 surgical mask. I brush my teeth and use mouth wash before any agar work. I dont always shower before working but I try to when I can. The two dishes I got bacteria in are from a particular print. The bacteria started from the spores and worked its way around, usually bacteria starts from the outside in. I have since poured about 70 agar dishes. I used half pint jars because I ran out of petri dishes. Its been about 4 days and those 70 dishes dont have one contam but its still too early to tell.

I was breathing really heavy and sweating when working in 120 degree temperatures,adding a surgical mask to the situation and spraying the room with alcohol, I thought I was gonna passout.
Exhaling at a greater velocity than the flowhood with a surgical mask on. Do you recommend exhaling out of your nose instead of your mouth with a surgical mask?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum