Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
thin mushrooms and potency
    #1118300 - 12/06/02 06:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hello, I searched the site for "thin stem" and found some interesting info that might help my friend stop getting long and thin shrooms. I have a question:

So far he has only been able to get thin long stems and small caps, which is odd for Ecuador. Anyway, are thin stemmed mushrooms less potent than glorious fat ones, on a weight-by-weight basis? If the mushrooms are thin because they don't get enough air exchange or water, wouldn't they be "sicker" and thus be less potent?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: megaman3]
    #1118332 - 12/06/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: thin mushrooms and potency [Re: megaman3]
    #1118333 - 12/06/02 06:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think this may be true. I don't think that long thin shrooms are any less healthy than fat shrooms. I think the size is a condition caused by enviroment and nutrient/carbon availability. I believe the ratio of Ps. to mass is the same in either mushroom.

I think if there is any validity in your idea it may be related to the surface area to mass ratio of the fruit. It is known that ps. is broken down via oxidisation. If a larger ratio of mass of your fruit is exposed to the air, it is likely that the ps. may be broken down in this larger proportion. This would be dependant on whether or not there are enzymes that can effectively protect the ps. from being oxidised, which there is at least one (peroxidase). I do believe oxidase is also present. If these enzymes do in fact protect the ps. on the exposed surfaces then there would be no difference in the potency of a growing mushroom. However these enzymes become inactivated upon dehydration at which time the ps. may be oxidised as described earlier and lead to a difference of potency after drying.

I pretend to be a scientist sometimes.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: thin mushrooms and potency [Re: Joshua]
    #1119504 - 12/07/02 07:56 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hi Joshua. I thought that psilocin and psilocybin are equally as potent, since all the psilocybin is converted to psilocin in the body anyway. Or is it the fact that the body's filters can stop psilocin more easily than psilocybin?

In other words, if a mushroom oxidizes a lot and blues considerably, will that make it less potent?

Edited by megaman3 (12/07/02 08:03 AM)

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: thin mushrooms and potency [Re: vatoloco]
    #1119506 - 12/07/02 07:58 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hi vatoloco. What you said about marijuana being more potent when it's sick intrigues me. Can you give me any more details about this? What exactly do you mean by sick marijuana?

Offlinelivingsublime
Stranger

#1119522 - 12/07/02 08:13 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think he probably meens when the plants get old and start to dye.Marijuana plants from what I have grown just get more and more potent as they age and once they have been going for a while,like the last couple weeks of growing they will feel with lots more resin's and earn lots more weight.
I have also heard that if or when they get sick som how they can get more potednt but I havent ever had any plants get sick so I woulden't know about that!

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1119571 - 12/07/02 09:16 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In my statement I am treating both the same. For me ps. = psilocybin and psilocin. They both can be reduced to inactive molecules through consecutive oxidisations.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Offlineuser_exists
Stranger
Re: thin mushrooms and potency [Re: Joshua]
    #1119615 - 12/07/02 09:53 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

mexicans would starve the marijuana plant of water and put a nail in the stem near the base to put strain on the plant and of course this all works in theory (if you want me to explain the idea behind this pm me or something) but then again look at the bullshit pot the mexicans grow meanwhile here in Canada we give our plants there every need and were up there with the best bud in the world.

OfflineShroom-O-Matic
Stranger
    #1119793 - 12/07/02 12:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i've used a syringe and injected water into a fruiting cake and later that day the shrooms got very fat. i've noticed extra water fattens up shrooms but this isn't always good. the shrooms can get big and water logged

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1121083 - 12/08/02 12:33 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am not prepared to present all of the theories regarding bluing and potency. As for as I know it has not even been shown what the mechanism of bluing is in psilocybin mushrooms. I have dreamed of making this my doctoral thesis. It is another one of my pipe dreams though.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: thin mushrooms and potency [Re: user_exists]
    #1154620 - 12/19/02 08:41 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"meanwhile here in Canada we give our plants there every need and were up there with the best bud in the world"

Damn straight man..... and the best beer.

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract