Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
Tropical Growers.. Use those Palm Fronds!
    #11188096 - 10/05/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So, while on a mission to find a local bulk substrate for edibles and coming up short, I have decided to use palm fronds as part of the solution. I did hear from one grower on here that he had luck with them once.

My main reasoning here, is that it can easily be used to bulk up the size of the substrate, for free. I have been using it as one would add straw to a substrate.. but there is no straw in my area.

First I used it in the coconut experiment of mine as part of the sub.. it fully colonized and is still fruiting:

I then did Shiitake, using a Wood Chip/Palm Frond, supplemented sub
Here it is fully colonized and getting ready for cold shock and fruit:

But my main reason for needing bulk sub is my plans to do semi-bulk oysters. I just loaded this oyster poly log 4 days ago 1:1 spawn to sub. The supplemented sub is 60/30/10-Palm Frond/Paper/Aspen Shavings.. looking pretty good thus far:

15 hours later:

Follow that grow here

As a final palm frond experiment, I pc'd a bag of it 70/30 palm fronds/verm. I then injected 2cc's of oyster LC into it.. we will see how/if that works out as a spawn material:

Follow that progress here

(FYI: when you see the term supplemented, assume that means I added coffee, gypsum, wheat bran, verm/wbs in small amounts)

Edited by Herbal_Elixer (10/16/09 06:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Re: Tropical Growers.. Use those Palm Fronds! [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11194431 - 10/06/09 03:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Palm Frond Oyster Substrate

So, I am growing confident of the use of the palm frond based oyster substrate.. I am now making another batch, so I figured I would outline the process.

As you can see, I live in a land of palm trees.

I choose fallen, 100% dried palm fronds. When dry they are easy to remove the material from the main branch, and cut with a regular pair of scissors into bits.

I used 1 medium and two small branches to compile about 1/4 to 1/3 a 5 gallon bucket of chopped fronds.

I also threw in a tiny dried coconut for good luck.

Also, on the way back inside I decided to grab a piece of this palm tree material that grows behind the branches.

I hand shredded it up and threw it in.

Next, I do the soap wash, like RR recommends with wheat straw. I will let it sit while I clean the house, have a smoke, send the i-Robot off to clean the floors.. and enjoy a cup of nitro coffee I just made.

Dark Folgers topped with Espresso :smile: (though it appears that decaf is the way of the future)

I agitate the soapy palm fronds randomly as I walk by it here and there. When I am done and ready to get back into working this sub,  about an hour has passed. I then add the drain lid to the bucket, and proceed to fill and drain 3 or 4 times with hot tap water. I will let this drain after the final rinse for as long as it takes to get these two pots of water to get to just about boiling.

I then add the filter full of "nitro" coffee grains
1 Cup of wheat bran and 1 cup of verm

1 Handful of shredded paper/cardboard

1 Handful of Aspen shavings

Mix it up

At this time the water is at a rolling boil, so I make my pasteurization set up. Its simply another 5 gallon bucket to insulate the first, a solid lid, and a towel. I also lay a plate over the sub to keep it submerged. I do not press the lid on, I simply lay it there and cover it all with a thick towel. It will sit for 2 hours.

After the two hours, I remove the solid lid and second bucket, place the drain lid back on, and let it drain for 6 hours. That time frame came from this WBS TEK, and I have been applying it to a lot of different things (like this). It seems to make perfect field capacity every time. I suppose you could pillow case it and squeeze it out, but I just figure let it cool and get right in one shot.

Here is the temp inside after the 2 hours: 158f

Bust out my nicely colonized bag of pearl oysters

I then cut my eye balled 24" long poly bags, I use zip ties to close the ends. I then proceed to layer it in there with the spawn (packed tightly, 2:1 Sub/Spawn on this one) and zip tie it shut. I also punch the little x shaped holes all over it, and set it away to colonize. This amount shown was enough for 1-24" long 6" diameter poly log.. during this I offset the production of another batch doubling the above amounts, so hopefully I will have a few logs going today, then do it again tomorrow.. Much spawn to use I have :smile:  The next two I do tonight will be 3:1 of Blue Oyster, and tomorrow I am trying to get 5 logs of Pink Oyster done.

*Admittedly, I am starting off using a high spawn ratio for insurance. The first log I made, in my first post above, was 1:1. I plan on stretching these to 3:1 or 4:1 (sub/spawn) as things positively progress. I understand a few steps may be over board, things like aspen shavings may be unnecessary (just using all I have around the house), but I am steadily chopping more and more fronds, so more ideas and better procedures will come to light.

8 Days later, put into fruiting:

Follow it to the end here

Edited by Herbal_Elixer (10/16/09 06:48 AM)

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11194434 - 10/06/09 03:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I know most of you are like ” who cares I grow actives”, well as soon as I am done loading up all this oyster spawn, I will be helping a FOAF put together a palm frond cube sub.  I will post that here, in the future.

--------------------

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
    #11194449 - 10/06/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

so you talking about the bark on the tree?

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11194457 - 10/06/09 03:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
    #11194467 - 10/06/09 03:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thats what i thought but then i saw the pick and it looked like the husky stuff on the tree, thanks for clearing it up  got a few of those trees around my way actually gulf shores AL

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11194478 - 10/06/09 03:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I did use that husk as well.. but it's not really bark.. when a branch falls off, that stuff stays behind, just hanging there, it's very brittle. I just grabbed it as a last minute "let's try it" I don't think it is very important ..

--------------------

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
    #11194884 - 10/06/09 04:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

what about the water hyacin man do one too i would love to see the results.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Re: Tropical Growers.. Use those Palm Fronds! [Re: ratdog]
    #11194901 - 10/06/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I responded about that in the other thread :smile:  I will go hunt for it soon.. apparently it's supposed to be everywhere, and highly unwanted.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures