Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedwtk
it all rolls into one
Male User Gallery

Loc: Franklin's Tower
school stress
    #11192346 - 10/06/09 10:52 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

could really use some helpful advice..

I've been bugging out the past few weeks over school. Like I'm not even going to a hard school.. I signed up for a community one near by when I first arrived at this halfway house but I signed up the day before classes and got stuck with a bunch I don't really care that much for. I'm also used to taking my meds to pay attention and now that I don't have them I'm struggling with paying attention more than I normally would.

But whatever, I'm not looking for excuses here. Fact is I've bombed a lot of tests and I'm not doing that well. Last year (before I dropped out) I NEVER let school stress me out like this whether I was doing good or bad. I'm deff. no A+ student. I can't study for shit, I'm so unmotivated and when I go over my material none of it sticks. It's so hard to give a shit at the same time about any of this, when I don't have anything I enjoy right now.

This stress is really getting to me, seeing how I'm already in a pretty shitty situation here (for the next 2 months til I get out). I have it in my head that everything is going to fall to shit if I do bad this first semester.. even though I'm in a community college.

slap some sense into me?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: school stress [Re: dwtk]
    #11192353 - 10/06/09 10:54 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

Get your shit together, lazy stoner.

Offlinedwtk
it all rolls into one
Male User Gallery

Re: school stress [Re: memes]
    #11192356 - 10/06/09 10:56 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

i wish i could use drugs as an excuse.. but im clean as shit :crazy:

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #11192370 - 10/06/09 10:58 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

WTF.  Go knock on your neighbors door and ask him to hit you in the face.

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#11192383 - 10/06/09 10:59 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

^ dude seriously wtf
i was givin' you advice about weed then i see this shit

if you're not doin' drugs then you can handle community college
just do the work, and don't not do the work

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

Offlinej0nnyb0y05
IBelieveInBelivin
Male

Loc: Going Going, Back Back to
    #11192387 - 10/06/09 11:01 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

Dude i totally understand you.

your just in your lower GE's it seems like, and they are a bitch. But they are the foundation of how you develop your study habits, work ethics, team projects and what not.

The key to not being stressed out for me is time management. To be less stressed, I would advise you to honestly get a big calander for your room, and write down important dates (big assignments, test, quizes) that way they dont just come out of the blue and you start to panic the day before hustling just to read through the material, and most of the time, last minute studying is in one ear and out the other. BTW make flash cards, best way to study IMO

As for doing bad already, almost all teachers are willing to work with you. Go to their office, teachers love talking to students and love to give extra help. They hate sitting there for the mandatory 3 hours a week and no one stopping by. That way if you did bad on a test, you can make some sweet deals. Recently for me, I literally missed a exam, and went to his office. I asked if I could have my next mid term or final exam be weighted more towards my final grade and he said yes, so basically my next test score makes up the missed one. 

YOu are only a third way through the semester, you can make up alot of points if you just hunker down now through the end.

GOOD LUCK

--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....

OfflineBenci
Dreamer
Male

Loc: Indiana
    #11192403 - 10/06/09 11:06 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

I did the same shit.  I went to college not knowing what i wanted to do, took basic classes that I didnt give a shit about, and ended up not going to the classes after a few weeks, and ultimately failing them.  I wasnt motivated, and therefore, didnt care to do well.  Some people can just go to college and do well because its what you are supposed to do.  At least thats what highschools pound into kids heads nowadays. I did it for 3 years, and wasted a shit load of money on it.  My advice, either man up and do well, or get out, figure out something you would actually like to learn, then go back.  You are just gonna waste your time and money until you are actually ready to go to college.  You gotta be in the mindstate, and it doesnt sound like you are in it at the least.  I hope you just suck it up and get through it, but thats all on you.

Thats my opinion and most people will surely disagree with it.

--------------------

We Dream Because It Is Far Better Than Reality

OfflineI AM SWIM
doin' thangs
 User Gallery

Loc: Feels Changsta Man
Re: school stress [Re: j0nnyb0y05]
    #11192427 - 10/06/09 11:12 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

I understand where ur coming from, i do dr00gz still, but mann

fuck.

it's not like they are getting in the way of my thangs, maybe there was a moment when they were, but i'm done with that now.

thangs just are difficult, and u just gotta do them thangs.

just keep on doin them thangs and all will be fine.

Just keep on doin them thangs

mann. i have midterms coming up soon, im freakin out :omgz:

looks like im gonna have to study until i

:drgonz:

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: school stress [Re: j0nnyb0y05]
    #11192431 - 10/06/09 11:14 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

j0nnyb0y05 said: They hate sitting there for the mandatory 3 hours a week and no one stopping by.

Lie!

I love it when nobody shows up to my office hours.

Offlinedwtk
it all rolls into one
Male User Gallery

#11192441 - 10/06/09 11:16 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

I like school this is just my first real semester (that I'm actually going to complete). I know I'll be able to do better next semester when I get to actually choose my classes and take my meds again. I just want to reduce my stress by knowing it's not the end of the fucking world if I bomb this one.

--------------------

OfflineI AM SWIM
doin' thangs
 User Gallery

Loc: Feels Changsta Man
    #11192447 - 10/06/09 11:17 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

it's never the end of the world.

--------------------

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

#11192479 - 10/06/09 11:25 AM (8 years, 18 days ago)

First thing you need to do is stick out this semester.  You don't want to waste your money, right?  Cause it's either stick it out or withdraw from school.  Make your pick.

Second, I agree with the guy who recommended the huge calendar.  Once I got one things became much more easier to organize.  Get one that goes on your desk like what your high school teachers had on their desks.  Big and huge and right in front of you.

If you don't have any good study habits, then get them!  Good study habits makes the difference between the B students from the A+ students.  Write down when stuff is due.  Clarify your goals.  Get an idea of where you want to be and work towards it.  Study!  If you can't concentrate in your room then go to the library.  You'd be surprised what a change of environment can do.

See if your school has a career development or learning center.  Get a learning style test.  That'll tell you if you're a visual or an aural learner.  Stuff like that really, really helps.

Slogging through school sucks, I know, I'm doing it right now.  And the only thing that makes it bearable is that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that eventually, hopefully, you'll be taking classes that you enjoy.

Good luck! :super:

--------------------
Let that which doesn't matter truly not matter.

OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
Re: school stress [Re: youbreakyoubuy]
    #11192636 - 10/06/09 12:07 PM (8 years, 18 days ago)

While others are saying you should stick it out this semester, I have some different advice.

You really need to weigh your options well. You said you bombed a few tests already; how much were those weighted? If 15%, then you gotta get your act together; grab a big coffee and begin hammering away at flashcards. Flashcards work great, even if you have horrible memory-you just have to keep at it. Memorize one word(not term) at a time if you have to.

If your exams were weighted 25-30%, and you failed them, I think you should seriously consider withdrawing for this semester. It's better to have 4 Ws than 4Ds and Fs.

I had to get 5Ws Spring 07 because I moved out of my parents...Did great my subsequent semesters and transferred to a good university. The point is, if you have to withdraw this semester, and honestly don't think you can pass(do so). Be honest with yourself. Reapply to college when you feel up to task.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub