Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
First grow BRF ?'s with PICS
    #11188182 - 10/05/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I inoculated these jars 8 days ago with PB and I have some questions about them.  On most of the jars (I have 5) there are spots where it appears the myc has pushed a single grain of verm up against the side of the jar.  Is this normal and should I expect the myc to colonize over it eventually?  Also I read somewhere to let your cakes sit for another week after they have been fully colonized before you use them or dunk them.  Is this still a recommended step? 

Though it is my first time I have been thinking of not doing the dunk and roll but instead doing a simple bulk substrate with black kow/straw/verm/perl. At first I thought you couldn't do these without a PC using BRF cakes but after more reading...  If everything goes well for me I hope to be self sufficient from this grow and make my own prints. I also have seen how easy these simple honey water LCs are and I was thinking of using them to make my prints go further. Is this the right thinking or any other recommendations welcome. 

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblem00nshine
ÜBER SHAMAN
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BALLS DEEP
Re: First grow BRF ?'s with PICS [Re: dutc2006]
    #11188210 - 10/05/09 04:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you wanna keep it simple follow the link in my signature. You don't need a PC. If you do keep some cakes intact, you want to dunk and roll them, trust me. Don't worry about the single piece of vermiculite.

LCs are a good idea, although I've never made one.

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First grow BRF ?'s with PICS [Re: m00nshine]
    #11188572 - 10/05/09 05:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wow its awesome you replied because I already read your tek about a week ago and it's what led me to pursue other methods even without the PC.  Also your spore print method is also what let me realize how easy that procedure can be.  So in other words you have already been a big help so thanks man!

So does black kow manure come dehydrated already?
Do you agree that you should allow the fully colonized cakes to sit in the incubation conditions an additional week after fully colonized?

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11189583 - 10/05/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Okay I just read on Black Kow's site that the moisture content of their manure when bagged is 30%.  So does it need to be dried further after purchase and before being added to a bulk sub recipe?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #11189605 - 10/05/09 07:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

dunno aboiut the black cow stuff, ive only ever used manure ive collected.

You dont need a PC to do bulk, you need  PC to use grain spawn.

PF cakes can be spawned. I preffer using straight brown rice though for spawn. I had some nice results with that, tricky to get the moisture content right (rice tends to get starchy and sticky)

You can ditch that foil, its only to stop water getting in during sterilisation. Yoiu have a dry verm layer which is your contamination barrier. Gas exchange is needed and it may not be compoletly cutting it off but its got to be hindering it a fair amount.

All my PF cakes are just left oiut in the open without foil, inoculatin holes exposed and they do fine.

If yoiur fruiting cakes and not spawning to bulk, let the consolidate for a week before dunking and rolling.

Definatly dunk, you want your cakes to be fully hydrated to get the best results.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First grow BRF ?'s with PICS [Re: veda_sticks]
    #11189719 - 10/05/09 08:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the reply

Actually the foil IS my lid, I followed the method on fungifun.org which uses multiple layers of foil as the lids, and supposedly was done that way to allow FAE.  I inoculated straight through the foil. 

Oh yes and just to be clear, I hope to NOT HAVE TO fruit the cakes alone.  If I do I would definitely dunk and roll but I aim to go for higher yields.  So spawning to bulk manure/straw/perl/vermshould give me higher yields and
fewer flushes, correct?

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11205749 - 10/08/09 04:28 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ok so I have another question on this topic.  This being my first time ever holding a syringe in my hand I had no idea what I was doing but I think I did okay.  By the time I had used it up i felt pretty comfortable with it, but the first couple injections were iffy.  The first jar I effed up by trying too hard to push the needle tip against the side of the jar at an angle.  When I started squeezing the plunger I couldn't see the liquid coming out so I squeezed too hard and injected a couple cc's probably right in the middle of the cake.  On the last cake I only had enough to shoot one site, instead of 4 like I did on the first ones.  Now all of the jars look good to me, and a couple are almost fully colonized already after only 12 days, but 1 has growth on just one side and 1 has 2 spots side by side that differ in color just slightly.  One spot is bright white while the spot beside it is a bit duller white.  The duller spot just appears to be growing more threadlike growth while the other spot looks like I shot too much there and it is growing that cloudy like growth real dense, not thready.  Is this normal enough or shall I post pics?

Invisiblem00nshine
ÜBER SHAMAN
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BALLS DEEP
    #11206514 - 10/08/09 09:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The jar that only has one side of growth may not make it. I've found that if only one inoc site takes, it usually means you won't get the whole jar to colonize. The other one I'm not too sure about, it would be good if you could post some pictures. It sounds like it's ok, but it may be cobweb growing right next to your myc, which is rare in jars.

Gald I could help, good luck with your future endeavors.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First grow BRF ?'s with PICS [Re: m00nshine]
    #11207296 - 10/08/09 11:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks again!
Yea the jar that is growing on one side is almost 40-50% colonized on the visible surface area.  Will post some pics when I get back home.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale