Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Breakdown of "society"
    #11189223 - 10/05/09 08:50 PM (8 years, 17 days ago)

It seems as though our societies or familiar groups have been in slow decline until recently, which as population skyrocked, declined even further. We are categorized as social beings, but to what extent? Is any social interaction at all enough? Or is more varied social interaction actually the type of socializing that is most fertile for our individual development (if we can say there is such a thing) and well-being.

What I mean here is that recently our society has become very segregated; to the point where, as a 25 year old, I spend 95% of my time with people +-5 years of my age. I know this isn't true for everybody, but it seems like for most people, after puberty, they spend most of their time with people of their age group. What is strange about this, to me, is that our ancestors, in a tribal setting, spent almost all of their time with people of *all* ages. They would spend time with babies and grandfathers/mothers simultaneously.

I am speculating here that a lot of the emotional traumas that people face today are the direct result of the detachment of "natural" social bonds. In some ways I can see this as personally empowering, but in others it is a great disadvantage and has become just another obstacle in life. After all, primate evolution is characterized by the formation of such social bonds.

On a more philosophical note, and to me, more pragmatic, this detachment lends each age group to "fend for itself" so to speak. I realized a while ago that I have the same aptitude as anyone above my age; which is to say that my elders aren't any smarter than I am and we are equals as far as that goes. What this doesn't take into consideration are things that aren't so easily quantified like "wisdom," if you want to call it that. After my period of intense scrutiny of my elders, I've noticed that some of my elders have a lot of knowledge that can't be gained in a way other than living for a long time. I greatly enjoy the small amount of time I get to spend with people much older than myself, but lately it has really been bothering me that it is such a very small amount of time.

Just as well...the same goes for spending time with babies and children...there are certain things that I learn from humans who have very little social conditioning and are for the most part "free."

or maybe I'm just nostalgic for the good ol' days....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Breakdown of "society" [Re: fazdazzle]
    #11189236 - 10/05/09 08:52 PM (8 years, 17 days ago)

if by good ol' days you mean the ones filled with blatant racism and no civil rights?

Also im willing to bet that you live in the U.S. since many countries aside from ours people still associate with people from all ages

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #11189251 - 10/05/09 08:55 PM (8 years, 17 days ago)

yeah

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblejoemolloy
DMT is Bullshit

Re: Breakdown of "society" [Re: learningtofly]
    #11189256 - 10/05/09 08:56 PM (8 years, 17 days ago)

Yeah we have problems we spend most of our waking hours at work with people we fucking hate. More primitive societies spent more time with their families working the fields but they probably learned to hate each other too.  So no, I don't think we are in any sort of decline, just business as usual.

--------------------
Don't PM me with bullshit.  I don't sell or trade cactus and I don't know where you can get any, other than your mother's ass.

OnlineKickleM
A Dying Hope
 User Gallery

#11190921 - 10/06/09 12:56 AM (8 years, 17 days ago)

I'm glad you've come to respect your elders. It's one of those fruitful aspects of life.
Surely in strict "fact" the youth can quickly catch pace, and often surpass. Your time too shall come.

As for the rest... I've never seen a society that didn't segregate based on age.
I've been exposed to all ages, but my friendships are formed with those closest and most similar.
I cannot imagine this being different in any society.

--------------------
Being unable to make what is just strong,
we have made what is strong just. -- Pascal

Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Breakdown of "society" [Re: joemolloy]
    #11190956 - 10/06/09 01:03 AM (8 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

joemolloy said:
Yeah we have problems we spend most of our waking hours at work with people we fucking hate. More primitive societies spent more time with their families working the fields but they probably learned to hate each other too.  So no, I don't think we are in any sort of decline, just business as usual.

what does that have to do with my post

--------------------

Invisiblejoemolloy
DMT is Bullshit

Re: Breakdown of "society" [Re: learningtofly]
    #11192119 - 10/06/09 09:33 AM (8 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Quote:

joemolloy said:

what does that have to do with my post

Nothing.  I was responding to the OP.

--------------------
Don't PM me with bullshit.  I don't sell or trade cactus and I don't know where you can get any, other than your mother's ass.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Breakdown of "society" [Re: joemolloy]
    #11192139 - 10/06/09 09:44 AM (8 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

joemolloy said:

You are so used to your "problems" you don't even know how they really affect you.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology