Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushynash
Stranger

couple ?s -- pinning before 100% colonization/fruiting chamber set-up
    #11186258 - 10/05/09 11:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hey all --

i'm a rookie and i have a couple questions.

first, here is my setup:
i inoculated some jars a month ago with some Golden Teacher spore solution. i noticed pinning on a few of them a couple days ago and now i have pins growing on 4 cakes. some of these pins over an inch long (and are still growing).

the problem is that i don't think the jars are at 100% colonization. the cakes have at least a threading of white all over them; but, i can still see some brown on all of them.

i tried to look this up; but, i got conflicting answers -- should i just let them stay in their jars until the cakes look solid white? or should i birth them into a FC?

lots of pins, cake 1

lots of pins, cake 2

lots of pins, cake 2

bottom of cake 1 -- the brown means its not colonized, right?

my second question is about the FC -- i don't have perlite yet. i ordered some that should come this week hopefully (but potentially could come next week). is have some rubbermaid boxes already. if it seems that i should birth these cakes into a FC, is there anything i could put into the FC besides perlite that will provide proper humidity? i read somewhere that wet paper towels might work?

thanks so much!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: couple ?s -- pinning before 100% colonization/fruiting chamber set-up [Re: mushynash]
    #11186284 - 10/05/09 11:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

fruit those dudes! and it depends if you have $$$ or not. if so get a air stone and a cheap air pump to create humidity. wet paper towels work but need to be changed regularly (or contams will thrive) just go find some pebbles or buy some aquarium pebbles and steralize em. put a few inches deep of pebbles at the bottom of your FC and put an inch of water in the tub. you don't want to see water but that will raise your RH quite a bit. this option is easiest and cheapest

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: couple ?s -- pinning before 100% colonization/fruiting chamber set-up [Re: mushynash]
    #11186291 - 10/05/09 11:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ummm..i dont know about wet paper towels...but if your perlite isnt coming soon and you have nothing to raise humidty..you should justlet those jars continue to grow..it can INVITRO..where you mushies are fruiting inside the jar.......umm..maybe you had them in the light for a long amount of time which triggered the pinning stage before it even finish colonizing......

what you can do to take advantage of this situation is take a piece of the inside shroom and drop it in LC..so you can speed up your process on your next batch....and i promise you, you wouldnt  wait that long for 100 colonization..its be like 8 days..

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Offlinemushynash
Stranger

Re: couple ?s -- pinning before 100% colonization/fruiting chamber set-up [Re: botanisthype]
    #11186299 - 10/05/09 11:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

im sorry, but what does "drop it in LC" mean?

also -- i dont have a means of immediate transpsortation, which is why i can't go to the store and get perlite. which means i also cant go to the store and get air stones. i can, however, go get pebbles from outside and sterilized them.

so, if thats the case, i should just wait and let them grow invitro? or should i used sterilized rocks + water?

Edited by mushynash (10/05/09 11:28 AM)

Offlinemushynash
Stranger

#11186327 - 10/05/09 11:30 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i also meant to mention -- this pinning did not happen because of exposure to light. ive kept these jars under my bed the entire time.

did i do something wrong?

thanks

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #11186342 - 10/05/09 11:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

you are doing fine. I would now take those babies out, dunk & roll and place into your fruiting chamber

also about your perlite question... I am assuming you are making a shotgun terrarium? You would be best to go and buy some perlite from a home and garden store ASAP, but if you cannot, simply hand mist the cakes around 10-15 a day until your perlite arrives. So long as your cakes have proper moisture, the humidity of their chamber does not have be 95-100%. But once that perlite comes in, set your fruiting chamber up and keep a RH of 95-100% and you wont need to hand mist anymore.
You may have better results keeping them in a cooler filled 1/4 way with water so long as the cakes are suspended around an inch or more above the water. Remember though, doing this means less of an air transfer thus requiring more fanning!

--------------------

Edited by ganjfather (10/05/09 11:39 AM)

Offlinemushynash
Stranger

Re: couple ?s -- pinning before 100% colonization/fruiting chamber set-up [Re: ganjfather]
    #11190490 - 10/05/09 09:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

so i should birth them, even though they're not 100% colonized?

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #11190503 - 10/05/09 09:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Those look totally colonized to me.

Offlinemushynash
Stranger

Re: couple ?s -- pinning before 100% colonization/fruiting chamber set-up [Re: daytripper05]
    #11190675 - 10/05/09 10:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

a couple of them have brown patches...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom