Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

India: Jailed backpacker's appeal hearing to start today
    #11186218 - 10/05/09 11:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

David Mills

Thisislondon

Monday 05 Oct 2009

LAWYERS representing a backpacker whose family claim has been wrongly jailed in India, say his appeal hearing is due to start today.

Patrick Malluzzo, aged 32, has so far served five years of a 10-year jail sentence for smuggling cannabis.

His parents, who live in Upper Heath Lane, Dartford, believe he is an innocent man.

Patrick has faced a catalogue of delays to have his appeal heard, which has already been deferred six times this year alone.

Charity Fair Trials International has been campaigning for his release.

The charity’s chief executive, Jago Russell, said: “After a grossly unfair trial, Patrick Malluzzo has already spent years in an Indian jail waiting for his appeal to be heard.

“Today represents a crucial test for the Indian justice system, an opportunity to prove to the world that they can right this miscarriage of justice.”

Patrick says he has been subjected to brutal psychological and physical torture at the hands of the Indian authorities, including being burnt with cigarettes and having pliers used on his genitals.

Fair Trials says he was forced to make a television confession and to sign documents in Hindi, a language he does not speak.

The charity claims his trial, also conducted in Hindi, allowed Patrick little chance to defend himself, made worse by poor legal advice he received from his original lawyer.

Former investment bank administrator Patrick, who planned to join the Army when he returned to Britain, claims he was accused by the police of being a member of the IRA and MI6.

He was travelling around India in November 2003 when police found drugs in a bag next to his.

The bag also contained a ticket bearing his name, which he claims must have been booked by his friend.

He was arrested in January 2004 while waiting at Mumbai airport to catch a flight to Thailand to meet his girlfriend.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/4664230.DARTFORD__Jailed_backpacker_s_appeal_hearing_to_start_today/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
Re: India: Jailed backpacker's appeal hearing to start today [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #11186407 - 10/05/09 11:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like he got fucked. Not exactly a new thing when it comes to the "war on drugs".

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: India: Jailed backpacker's appeal hearing to start today [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #11186570 - 10/05/09 12:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

to spend years of my life in a foreign prison to even get my appeal heard all over a bit of cannabis.. i'd be pissed

--------------------

Offlineeyesoftheworld
ૐ नमः शिवाय
Male User Gallery

Re: India: Jailed backpacker's appeal hearing to start today [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #11187112 - 10/05/09 01:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

he would have to be pretty stupid to be going from india to thailand carrying anything illegal

--------------------
:deemsters:

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: India: Jailed backpacker's appeal hearing to start today [Re: eyesoftheworld]
    #11189686 - 10/05/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I thought marijuana was more tolerated in India? :confused:

I've also heard that all you really need is CA$$$H to fix any potential legal problems in India...

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: India: Jailed backpacker's appeal hearing to start today [Re: Adamist]
    #11192292 - 10/06/09 08:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This will be on locked up abroad in 6 months

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules