Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleBooNanZa
Microbiologist
WBS Jars - Cobweb (Pictures)
    #11186178 - 10/05/09 12:59 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Hey, sorry for another one of these questions, but I read the Contam FAQ and almost every thread related to the matter, but I still can't figure out if my WBS Jars are growing cobweb or mycelium. Ok here's the info:

1. WBS soaked for close to 24 hours, allowed to drain, PCed for 1 hour and 15 miutes, then let cool
2. inoculated with "Mycelium Water" or "Grain LC" from a fully colonized popcorn jar (done in sterile conditions I believe)
3. After 4-5 days small white specks started appearing everywhere and I was happy BUT

Now I can't tell if it's mycelium or cobweb because most of the spots and strands are so light and look really fluffy and thin (wispy) as opposed to ropey. The main reason I thought COBWEB was because one of the bigger spots on the jars was DEFINITELY mycelium, but all the others looked much lighter and wispier. Anyways, here are the pics, if anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated!

The first 3 pictures show the bright white mycelium circle in the middle, while all the other spots are kinda wispy and not as bright white. The third is without flash and shows how much whiter that one spot is than compared to the others. The fourth picture is another jar fromt he same batch, while the 5th is a closeup of the suspected MYC patch vs. a wispy less white area above it. This is the best picture I think, you can clearly see how WISPY looking/thin the top patch is compared to the bright white of the MYC patch below

THis is my first time doing WBS (I have done popcorn with no problems before) so I'm not sure. Maybe this is because I used an LC? I feel like it is growing fast, but it has still been 9 days since inoculation so its not fully colonized in 2 days like some say COBWEB does. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WBS Jars - Cobweb (Pictures) [Re: BooNanZa]
    #11186700 - 10/05/09 02:30 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

looks fine to me, if it is a contam it appears not to be a huge problem, if need be just separate that particular jar out from the others when you are ready to birth them and keep it isolated from the other cakes.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

InvisibleBooNanZa
Microbiologist
Re: WBS Jars - Cobweb (Pictures) [Re: solumvita]
    #11187308 - 10/05/09 04:16 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the reply, it is reassuring to hear you say it is probaly fine.

BUT, the reason I am really worrying is that almost all my jars started like this, the picture of that one just had the most distinguishable myc. THis is because I still can't really tell what the other stuff is. It is pretty wispy, looking like rhizomorphic growth, so I could see it being weak mycelium OR cobweb, and its not thickening out yet, just spreading.

IS this possibly because I used a GRAIN LC?(took a small colonized popcorn jar, quickly opened and took kernels with most rhizomorphic growth, and transfered to jar with water, then shook and took syringes full)

It started 2x faster than when I used a spore syringe, but the myc is just not thick at all. Sorry, I'm rambling I just want to know if I should start some new jars:

1. ANyone have any experience with WBS and GRAIN LC syringes, does this look normal? Is it because I selected for rhizo growth? (but it was very thick so:

2. Does myc ever become very wispy like that, and if so, why at ALL colonization points on ALL jars except 1 in picture with 1 spot of thick growth.

Will provide more description and/or pictures if requested. THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN! You guys are great!

OfflinesubliciouscompostV
Friend/Musician/Composter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oakland Park Florida
    #11189696 - 10/05/09 10:01 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Looks good.

--------------------
Sublicious Compost - Grow your own mushrooms at home!

Now offering FREE SHIPPING with orders over $50!

Sublicious Compost is proud to offer mushroom kits, spawn jars and spawn bags! Check out SubFarms.com.

25% off all orders using Bitcoin! Use coupon code Bitcoin!

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #11191219 - 10/06/09 02:12 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

BooNanZa said:
IS this possibly because I used a GRAIN LC?(took a small colonized popcorn jar, quickly opened and took kernels with most rhizomorphic growth, and transfered to jar with water, then shook and took syringes full

No it is not, the most likely contaminant from such a procedure is bacteria.

Quote:

BooNanZa said:
It started 2x faster than when I used a spore syringe, but the myc is just not thick at all.

the reason it is not that thick is most likely due to the large gaps between the grains you are using, once the mycelium has spread through the jar it will start to thicken and look more normal.

I do not thionk you need to start anymore jars other than getting the next batch ready so as to have a continula supply.

ciao

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum