Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Loc: Your computer screen
Raw food detox
    #11186145 - 10/05/09 12:53 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

I'm wanting to do a detox, but a water fast seems to much to me.  I was wondering about doing a raw food detox, so I have a few questions about it.  Should I limit my diet to raw fruits and vegetables only (no nuts or grains)?  Are there any specific rules to the diet (besides not heating foods past 118 F)?  Are there any good free online references about the raw food diet you would reccomend?

--------------------
No knowledge can be certain, if it is not based
upon mathematics or upon some other knowledge
which is itself based upon the mathematical
sciences.
  -Leonardo da Vinci (1425-1519)

Speak well of your enemies.  After all, you made them.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAmber Trichome

Loc: Black Mountain
Re: Raw food detox [Re: pothead_bob]
    #11187115 - 10/05/09 03:37 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

I think whole grains and nuts would be fine as they are low calorie, low carbohydrate, high energy, high fiber and protien foods. Just make sure to get the nuts unsalted.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Re: Raw food detox [Re: Amber Trichome]
    #11189165 - 10/05/09 08:40 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

I heard something about not being able to eat fruit too close in time to vegetables and not being able to eat nuts too close to fruit and so on. Have you heard anything like this before?  Anybody familiar with the raw food diet?

--------------------
sciences.

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
    #11191846 - 10/06/09 07:24 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

i know people talk alot about enzymes & what not but to be honest food tatses better cooked, so imo thats natures way of saying, dont be lazy, start a fire and cook!

a cooked tomatoe is so much tastier then raw, same goes for carrots, brocoli, courgettes, they are all so much sweeter then eating them raw...although sometimes i like the freshness & crunchyness of raw, usually if im thirsty

:peace:

--------------------

OfflineCapHat
Stranger

Re: Raw food detox [Re: Chronic7]
    #11191881 - 10/06/09 07:38 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Raw Food, yea.  have been raw food for 2 y now. I got a friend who is a body builder who only eats once a week. He lives off of air water and the sun. Air has Carbon Oxygen and water in it. If you want to detox fast for a few day then go raw food. Honey, Almonds, veggies, fruits. you can make almond milk, I love it. You can google search raw food recipes. There are many yummy foods. I like to make sunflower cheese and eat it with celery. Get a juicer you can drink like 5 carrots in seconds. I like orange and carrot juice mix. Celery will heal cancer, any high water content veggy will. You will lose lots of wate at first but in like 6m-a year youll start gaining wate again.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Raw food detox [Re: Chronic7]
    #11192514 - 10/06/09 11:34 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Chronic777 said:
i know people talk alot about enzymes & what not but to be honest food tatses better cooked, so imo thats natures way of saying, dont be lazy, start a fire and cook!

a cooked tomatoe is so much tastier then raw, same goes for carrots, brocoli, courgettes, they are all so much sweeter then eating them raw...

Definitely a matter of opinion.  :wink:  Give me a raw, fresh, vibrant fruit or vegetable over cooked slop anyday! I like eating food in it's original state, as nature intended.  Fire tends to destroy things. 

OP: I've been 100% raw for twenty-one months.  There are all sorts of approaches to the raw diet, both healthy and unhealthy.  I recommend making sure you get enough calories from sweet fruit and keep your fat content low, 10% or less. This is the next best thing besides a water fast, only it's a sustainable yummy way to live that has given many people incredible amounts of energy and feelings of wellbeing.   

Just because you're detoxing doesn't mean you gotta feel crummy.  If you eat enough fruit (log your cals on nutridiary and see how much you need to eat to sustain yourself in a healthy manner) combined with greens like celery, you will be soaring.  If you're not feeling energetic, you haven't eaten enough.

Check out the book: 80/10/10 by Dr. Doug Graham 

That's the program I follow

Good luck!

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Re: Raw food detox [Re: MOTH]
    #11208490 - 10/08/09 04:49 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Well, I started the diet this week. I had a false start on Tuesday.  I caved and ate pizza at night cuz I was hungry and wasn't getting home for a while.  I had initially planned on eating a cooked meal for dinner to ease into the diet, but that gave me the scapegoat I needed to binge on pizza, so I changed to 100% raw. I plane on going 30 days and then taking it from there. If I lke how it's going, I'll keep it up.

Btw, I don't plan on consuming any drugs since this is a detox, but if I made eating raw part of my lifestyle, could alcohol, pot, or psychedelics fit into that at all?  Wine is just fermented fruit, right?

I also feel it was hard on Tuesday bcuz my calories were low which invited cravings. These last two days I've been tracing my calories and eating some higher energy foods like nuts and avacado. Eventually I want to reduce the fat and focus more on fruit, but my primary goal is just to complete 30 days raw, so I plan to ease into it and get along the best I can until I get used to eating lke this.

--------------------
sciences.

Edited by pothead_bob (10/08/09 04:53 PM)

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #11209163 - 10/08/09 06:28 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Fill your house with ripe fruit.  Lots of bananas, apples oranges, what ever you like.  By having it around, you will eat it.

Make smoothies, I can down 10 ripe bananas in a smoothie no problem.

I eat around 50-80% raw atm, its great.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

Re: Raw food detox [Re: Cannashroom]
    #11210983 - 10/08/09 11:01 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

I've been working on that. Do you find this knd of diet to be more expensive than one that doesn't include such a large amount of fresh produce?

--------------------
sciences.

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

#11211443 - 10/09/09 12:03 AM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Depends how you shop.  I like to buy organic produce when I can and that is more expensive.  You need to find a store with cheaper produce, or find it local.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#11228979 - 10/11/09 09:33 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Finishing up day five of raw foods. So far I feel great and don't think I'll have a problem doing this for 25 more days. I've been juicing quite a bit and I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep that up after the 30 days even if I don't stick to 100% raw. After a fruit and vegetable smoothie in the morning I feel like I'm on a high. It's better than coffee in my opinion. Tonight, I threw a raw egg in my smoothie because I've been reading they're full of high quality protein and vitamins. What do you guys think about consuming eggs on the raw diet?

--------------------
sciences.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#11244324 - 10/14/09 08:26 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

I can down 10 ripe bananas in a smoothie no problem.

How can you do this without getting constipated?  I had problems yesterday and I'm assuming it's from the bananas.  I eat about 6 a day.  It's puzzling because my daily average fiber intake so far was 72 grams a day, so I can't see how things should be getting blocked up.  I need to get around this, though, because bananas are such a cheap source of calories and I'm spending too much the way it is on this diet, so I can't easily swap them out for another fruit.

--------------------
sciences.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #11244697 - 10/14/09 10:59 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

pothead_bob said:
Quote:

I can down 10 ripe bananas in a smoothie no problem.

How can you do this without getting constipated?  I had problems yesterday and I'm assuming it's from the bananas.  I eat about 6 a day.  It's puzzling because my daily average fiber intake so far was 72 grams a day, so I can't see how things should be getting blocked up.  I need to get around this, though, because bananas are such a cheap source of calories and I'm spending too much the way it is on this diet, so I can't easily swap them out for another fruit.

When you eat that many bananas, they absolutely have to be RIPE.  That means SPOTTY.  The spots are nature's way of telling you that the banana is ready to eat...it's signaling you to eat up.  The spots signify that the sugar content is highest. 

Eating yellow bananas means they are starchy and will clog you right up!  If you mono on bananas, make sure those spots are there.  I used to hate spotty bananas until I went raw frugivore...then I realized that the spotty ones are truly delicious, with lots of that precious fruit sugar.  Any starch in my body gives me gas and bloats and clogs me up.  But the spotty bananas are hardcore good. 

I have PERFECT digestion when I eat bananas (awesome poo's) and yes, sometimes 10 at a time!  I have eaten ONLY bananas for more then a week at a time with no problems and spectacular results.  I usually get big boxes of organic bananas from a fruit-dealer (or just check your local grocer for special ordering) when it's banana-time.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#11244727 - 10/14/09 11:07 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Cool.  I actually did some research on this and had consistent findings.  I never ate any green bananas, but perhaps one day I ate some that were yellow with no brown.  I'll be sure to eat them only when they have brown on them.

So after a week of the diet, my daily averages break down to 20% fat, 70% Carbs, and 10% protein.  I know the fat is a little high, but I have trouble getting my calories in with any less fat than that (avacados and peanuts are such an easy source of calories... the eggs help too and give my smoothies a really nice texture).

--------------------
sciences.

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#11277248 - 10/19/09 03:04 PM (8 years, 14 hours ago)

I'm on day 13 of the raw food fast.  I've been eating at least 2200 calories a day with an average makeup of 70% carbs, 20% fats and 10% protein.  I'm having trouble maintaining my weight, so I think I'm going to try and increase my calories to 2400.  Also, after doing some research and noting how I've been feeling, I've decided that I'm going to try and reduce my fat intake to 10% or less.  So I'm going to cut out the raw eggs, finish up my coconut and two avocados and keep that in mind while shopping in the future.

Of course this will make getting 2400 calories a little harder, so what are your opinions on dried fruits (e.g. dates, raisins, apricots, prunes) to supplement some extra calories?  I'm also trying to keep this cost effective so I'll be consuming a lot of in-season fruits (pears and apples) and cheap produce (bananas).  We'll see how that works out in a couple of days.

--------------------
sciences.

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

#11279240 - 10/19/09 08:25 PM (8 years, 9 hours ago)

Cutting out fat is going to make it more expensive too.  Fatty foods are calorie dense.

I think both sides of the raw food fat debate are a little extremist.

Now if you are trying to get a detox going, fat could interrupt that process, but just trying out raw foodism it might be hard without some fat.

The hygenists claim that eating fatty foods is bad and you need to keep your intake under 10%, which imo is kinda BS.

Just as peolpe saying you shouldn't eat too much fruit because it is sugary is pure BS.

Everyone's metabolism is different and your body can ADAPT.  The fact of the matter is you need fat, you need protein, you dont really need carbs.  That said not eating carbs is dumb because your body doesn't need to go through gluconeogenesis to form glycogen stores.  Carbs are also the most satisfying.

Coconut for example is amazing fat.  Medium chain saturated fatty acids are amazing for you, they are in all your cell membranes and are easy sources of energy.

Find what works for you, that is more important than anything someone is going to tell you.

Don't avoid avocados because some guy says you shouldn't eat more than 10% fat.

If you feel better eating 80/10/10 than other ratios do it.  But don't do it because someone says X is better than Y.  You need to find out for yourself.

--------------------

Albert Einstein

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#11279411 - 10/19/09 08:50 PM (8 years, 8 hours ago)

Well sure, I get what you're saying.  Do what works for yourself and I agree, but I am doing this for detox and not making it my new lifestyle.  Of course, who knows?  I'll see how I feel at the end of 30 days and go from there.  As of now, I've been feeling bloated and having digestive issues on this diet, so it would seem something isn't right.  I also haven't felt the energy that many rawists talk about.  On the reverse, I have actually been feeling pretty run down and tired much of the time.

--------------------
sciences.

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

#11280423 - 10/19/09 10:55 PM (8 years, 6 hours ago)

Digestive issues can come from eating foods in the wrong order.  Like avocado and nuts and then grapefruit will get me every time.

If you are detoxing, that could bring lower energy levels and digestive upset as toxins leave.

But for low energy, it could be too low calorie intake.  Try eating more and more, and in this matter fat helps too.

Another thing is that our soil is depleted in many minerals, nuts can provide great sources.  Hemp seeds for example are super rich in many minerals.  Brazil nuts great for selenium.

And also if you are tired find a good vitamin D supplement 5000IU a day is best.  If you don't get sun get a supplement, it is crucial.

--------------------

Albert Einstein

Offlinepothead_bob
Resident Pothead
Male

#11282383 - 10/20/09 08:28 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I thought of that, that it may just be toxins causing the down feeling.  I also printed off a food combining chart and started following it whenever I eat, so hopefully I eliminated that potential problem.  As for the supplements, I usually take several (including vitamin D), but I stopped taking them during the detox.

--------------------
sciences.

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
    #11282461 - 10/20/09 09:06 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I really feel that listening to your body is best, if you eat the same food routine everyday, no matter how healthy your body isn't getting time 'find its swim' in the ocean of Being

Some days i wake up ill eat, other days ill only feel to drink water until abut 3/4 in the afternoon then have a nice meal, if i was to eat in the morning id be forcing it as my body simply doesnt want food!

Avodacoes are awesome for breakfast  :thumbup:

My favourite smoothie right now is Goji, Mango & Cacao, delicious!!!

Im gonna eat a pomegranate now :grin:

:peace:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Hemp

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being