Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Carpal Tunnel - Have it? Worried about it?
    #11185721 - 10/05/09 11:16 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Carpal Tunnel is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed at the wrist, leading to tingling, numbness and muscle weakness in the hand. It is the cause of millions of dollars of workers compensation claims every year.

Most of you I'm sure have heard about getting carpal tunnel from spending too much time on the computer. I used to get so pissed at my mom because she would use it as an excuse to keep me from playing computer games. The fact is, though, computers are the leading cause of this syndrome. Just look at the medical data - up until the invention of the keyboard, it was hardly mentioned.

I know people here spend a lot of time on their computers or playing video games, so what do you think about this disease? Chances are you have some kind of gel support on your mouse pad to help prevent it, but do you actively think about prevention on a daily basis?

What would you do if you started to develop symptoms?

A few months ago I started to notice numbness and tingling in my fingers and wrist at night and after spending long sessions typing, and it really freaked me out at first. I'll be 20 this month, I'm not supposed to have fucked up wrists already! Our generation really needs to pay attention to carpal tunnel. 30 years from now we are gonna have some pretty insane tech, but what's the good if you can't even move your wrist enough to jerk it..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Carpal Tunnel - Have it? Worried about it? [Re: JT]
    #11185728 - 10/05/09 11:19 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I dunno.  I spend a fuckton of time on the computer, but I also exercise regularly with kettlebells which give an intense workout on your grip & wrists -- so I don't anticipate there being any problems.

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Re: Carpal Tunnel - Have it? Worried about it? [Re: memes]
    #11185798 - 10/05/09 11:38 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

lol i just looked those up on wikipedia, i've never heard of kettleballs before. but if they are anything like dumbbells then it seems like a good prevention technique.

i think everyone needs something like that incorporated into their daily schedule. the scary thing about carpal tunnel is that you really feel fine up until you actually start to experience moderate damage. since it's the nerve that is being pinched, the pain is blunted in the beginning and your hands just feel kind of cold.

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
    #11185898 - 10/05/09 11:59 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

My SO and I both began suffering from RSI injuries due to our frequent keyboard usage (jobs/hobbies), on recommendation from a friend I bought a Dynaflex gyroscopic wrist exerciser for about $20. This was over 5 years ago, they've come out with a bunch of new models and there are a couple knockoff brands, but they really do work amazingly well towards rehabilitating damaged areas. At its worst point I couldn't type without the tips of my fingers feeling either numb or increasingly sharp pains, I was also getting ancillary effects shooting down my wrist to my elbow. After a few months of using the product regularly it was cleared up, and now I'll spin it up only about once a month just because it's sitting on my coffee table. I had grown up with keyboards and had been (ab)using my PC since I was about 10 years old, so my problems began when I was about 20 as well.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #11185974 - 10/05/09 12:16 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

JT said:
lol i just looked those up on wikipedia, i've never heard of kettleballs before. but if they are anything like dumbbells then it seems like a good prevention technique.

Yah, they're like dumbbells except you do exercises that involve throwing the KB around in various motions -- so the momemtum of the weight REALLY fucking taxes your grip.  For example, this particular exercise is called the Snatch - it's one of the more advanced techniques.  There's a lot that goes into getting that KB up that high without injuring yourself.

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Re: Carpal Tunnel - Have it? Worried about it? [Re: memes]
    #11187280 - 10/05/09 04:10 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

damn it looks like it would be real easy to miss and hit yourself in the balls lol

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub