Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Money Matters

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Homeowners Insurance Claims
    #11185550 - 10/05/09 10:25 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Have you ever had to file a claim with your home insurance? What was the outcome? What was your experience.

I filed one from Hurricane Ike. I was denied because I didnt have a hole in my roof. There was still major water damage from wind blown rain. Damaged sheetrock, damaged windows, water soaked carpet etc. My claim was denied totally. Now I'm considering getting an attorney involved.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledr_gonz

Re: Homeowners Insurance Claims [Re: Fraggin]
    #11185861 - 10/05/09 11:50 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Who's your carrier?

Offlinefireshaman
Botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Homeowners Insurance Claims [Re: dr_gonz]
    #11185911 - 10/05/09 12:02 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

attorney will maybe take 1/3rd.

investigate for quality attorney

--------------------
Nomad 2013 Trade List
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17137809

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: Homeowners Insurance Claims [Re: fireshaman]
    #11186013 - 10/05/09 12:26 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Wellington Insurance.

The attorney I found has high marks in hurricane Ike cases. Apparentley lots of people got screwed over.

Even if an attorney takes 1/3rd, I will still get more reimbursement for my losses. My insurance company basically straight up called me a liar and said that the damage to my home was a result of ongoing issues with my windows and roof.

I never had an issue with my roof or windows until 95mph winds blew water under the shings and sophets and until tree limbs fell on the dormers over my windows.

But in a nutshell the insurance agent said, "The only way we would pay for any damage is if a tree limb created a hole in your roof"

Invisiblenorthgahunt
Genesis 1:30, 9:3

#11186343 - 10/05/09 01:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Just because an insurance company denied your claim, doesn't always mean they are not responsible. In your case, I would figure that the hurricane damage would be mainly covered by wind damage. Have you checked your policy?

What state are you in? I may be able to give you pointers on how to fight this without spending any money. An attorney would be last result and in most cases a waste of time and money.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: Homeowners Insurance Claims [Re: northgahunt]
    #11186422 - 10/05/09 01:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I live in Houston. From what I gather, they are saying my damage was caused by wind driven rain and ongoing issues with my roof and windows. And that wind driven rain is not a covered peril in my policy.

Invisiblenorthgahunt

#11189752 - 10/05/09 10:10 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Have they sent you your denial letter? If so, it should tell you what part of your policy specifically denies this.

Just because they tell you it was from wind driven rain doesn't mean that is the actual cause.

Did your roof leak prior to this? What did they mean on going issues with roof and windows?

If I were you, I would try to find an independent claims rep. In Ga we have some that may have branches in Houston. They will perform their own investigation, they review your policy, they will negotiate with the insurance company, and they will represent you in court if necessary.

http://www.worldclaim.net/ You may want to give them a call. Usually they will work off of small percentage of what they get for you. They will fight the insurance company for you.

Another thing you can do is contact your insurance commissioner for the state of TX. Explain the situation, they should give you a claim number of some sort and assign a representative to you. He will act as a mediator between you and the insurance company. In GA this is more for show, the rep usually tries to mediate more on the insurance companies behalf. Lobbyist do this country good...right. Anyways, you will at least have an official complaint against them and this will help in the event you end up in court.

Remember in the end it is you looking out for you. When ever anyone else is involved getting your money, there is a risk you will not get the best representation. All these people scratch each others backs in one way or another.

Get at least three roofing companies to come out and give you written estimates of the damage and the cause. My initial feeling is wind damage, this should be covered. Get the denial letter, you will need this if it ever comes to a court case. Compile a list of all damages and collect three estimates for each. This will help you in the long run.

Hopefully you get this settled and the insurance company will do their part. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: Homeowners Insurance Claims [Re: northgahunt]
    #11192446 - 10/06/09 11:17 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I visited an attorney yesterday that specializes in these kinds of cases. Essentially they said that the TFP group that put together my policy for me is under fire for denying so many claims and that though its unfortunate that they denied my claim totally, it was a breach of contract on their part.

They are going to take my case and send out an adjuster and an engineer to look over the damage. They also said that there is a state law that allows them to add an additional 40% on top of the amount of the claim, so essentially, they will not be taking any money out of my settlement. So, if they find that there is $40,000 in damage, then they would file suit against the insurance company for $56,000 to cover their work on the case. There's not cost to me upfront and no cost that will come out of the amount that will be used to cover the damages.

Apparentley I'm not the only victim of the TFP plan.

Invisiblenorthgahunt

#11201401 - 10/07/09 05:40 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Cool good, luck and let me know how it goes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Money Matters