Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Hookah, Incense, Rolling Papers, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC]
    #11184526 - 10/05/09 02:53 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

The Boston Globe Oct. 4th, 2009

WASHINGTON - In the funky Adams Morgan neighborhood, just past the yellow “Drug Free Zone’’ sign, the B&K News Stand sells hookahs, rolling papers, and “Purple Sticky Salvia.’’

The psychedelic Purple Sticky label warns that the contents of the cylindrical package - dried leaves of the hallucinogenic herb Salvia divinorum and a chemical extract of the drug - are to be used as incense only. But at $30 for a pillbox the size of a small jar of lip balm, that’s some awfully expensive fragrant foliage.

It is legal to sell, possess, and ingest salvia in the District of Columbia. But the same stuff, long used for medicinal and mystical purposes by Mazatec Indians in Mexico, will get you arrested in Virginia, where a ban on salvia passed last year.

Last month, the Ocean City Council passed emergency legislation to ban salvia products, which were being sold at almost 20 shops on the resort town’s boardwalk. An identical ban followed suit in Worcester County on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, and state Delegate Jim Mathias, a former mayor of Ocean City, plans to push for a statewide ban when the General Assembly meets in Annapolis this winter.

Salvia has been gaining popularity over the past decade as a smokable drug whose psychotropic extract provides a short-lived but potent hallucinogenic trip.

The 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health estimated that 1.8 million people in the United States had tried salvia, “and it’s probably even more now,’’ said Matthew Johnson, a psychopharmacologist at the Johns Hopkins University medical school, where he studies salvia and its active ingredient, salvinorin A. “It’s really hit a critical mass in the last couple of years.’’

There’s ample evidence online: Salvia, which is widely available for purchase on the Internet, has become a popular theme on YouTube, where countless bong smokers in their teens and 20s have posted videos of themselves stumbling, laughing uncontrollably, talking nonsensically, and just plain freaking out.

“It’s an unpredictable drug that clearly alters rational behavior and alters your psyche,’’ Mathias said.

Researchers worry that a rush to regulate the drug could interfere with efforts to learn whether salvinorin A can be used to treat cocaine addiction and Alzheimer’s disease, among other conditions.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11184611 - 10/05/09 03:29 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

:crazy2:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan 

OfflineS4mm1ch
CLIT commander

Loc: Blue Light District
Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11184789 - 10/05/09 04:25 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

hey  Jim Mathias... blow me!

--------------------
“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: S4mm1ch]
    #11184992 - 10/05/09 06:10 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Researchers worry that a rush to regulate the drug could interfere with efforts to learn whether salvinorin A can be used to treat cocaine addiction and Alzheimer’s disease, among other conditions.

researchers leesmearchers

--------------------

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: Coaster]
    #11185032 - 10/05/09 06:42 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I'm highly against this ban because it is unjustified. There has been no proof of detrimental effects from this drug! People smoke it, go out of (or into, however you care to see it) their minds for 10 minutes and come back stone-sober. They're way too out of it to do anything harmful (noone's gonna drive a car under its influence for instance) to themselves or others and there is no proof that it causes any kind of mental illness at all. Generally people don't even remember the majority of the experience and the parts they do remember are really hella weird ..most people don't like it and don't care to repeat the experience.

Okay there was "ONE" case of a guy committing suicide awhile after using salvia habitually, but if you'd seen the pic of the guy you'd know he was crazy already. Just another media-story blown way out of proportion. And compare that to the number of people who have committed suicide coming off antidepressants for instance, or for that matter how many people have died in car accidents on alcohol or of lung cancer from tobacco and one death sounds pretty god damned mild, doesn't it?

If we sit here and allow this ban to happen just because they want to and we don't do anything about it, we give the message that we're just going to sit back and take it whenever congress or whatnot wants to ban a new drug, and we're NOT going to fucking take it, that's supposed to be the point of this 'war'! It would be different if there were health or mental issues that result, but as of now they don't even have a proper reason TO ban it other than 'it makes you trip'.

If they ban it, we're going to fill more jail cells with otherwise-innocent people.

People, really -- fight these bans if you're really truly serious about decriminalizing drugs because it's important for them not to get away with it! Tell them to wait until they find a medical reason to ban the drug before they do it or we are really screwed.

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: Magick]
    #11185111 - 10/05/09 07:14 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

its uselesss dude jus 4get abiout it

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: Coaster]
    #11185193 - 10/05/09 07:59 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

:psycrankey:FUCK YOU GOVERNMENT YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!!

--------------------

Offlinewocka
Lurker

Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11185680 - 10/05/09 11:05 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

salvia sucks anyway...

Offlinebriant230
Male User Gallery

Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: wocka]
    #11185992 - 10/05/09 12:21 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I don;t particularly enjoy salvia either, however this powerful plant no doubt has medicinal properties that researchers are just begining to understand. If banned, it'll go on the shelf just like MDMA and LSD did. A real shame.

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11187158 - 10/05/09 03:46 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Twiztidsage said:
The Boston Globe Oct. 4th, 2009

WASHINGTON - In the funky Adams Morgan neighborhood, just past the yellow ?Drug Free Zone?? sign, the B&K News Stand sells hookahs, rolling papers, and ?Purple Sticky Salvia.??

Add Signature  Preview Reply  D4D0C8The psychedelic Purple Sticky label warns that the contents of the cylindrical package - dried leaves of the hallucinogenic herb Salvia divinorum and a chemical extract of the drug - are to be used as incense only. But at $30 for a pillbox the size of a small jar of lip balm, that?s some awfully expensive fragrant foliage.

It is legal to sell, possess, and ingest salvia in the District of Columbia. But the same stuff, long used for medicinal and mystical purposes by Mazatec Indians in Mexico, will get you arrested in Virginia, where a ban on salvia passed last year.

Last month, the Ocean City Council passed emergency legislation to ban salvia products, which were being sold at almost 20 shops on the resort town?s boardwalk. An identical ban followed suit in Worcester County on Maryland?s Eastern Shore, and state Delegate Jim Mathias, a former mayor of Ocean City, plans to push for a statewide ban when the General Assembly meets in Annapolis this winter.

Salvia has been gaining popularity over the past decade as a smokable drug whose psychotropic extract provides a short-lived but potent hallucinogenic trip.

The 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health estimated that 1.8 million people in the United States had tried salvia, ?and it?s probably even more now,?? said Matthew Johnson, a psychopharmacologist at the Johns Hopkins University medical school, where he studies salvia and its active ingredient, salvinorin A. ?It?s really hit a critical mass in the last couple of years.??

There?s ample evidence online: Salvia, which is widely available for purchase on the Internet, has become a popular theme on YouTube, where countless bong smokers in their teens and 20s have posted videos of themselves stumbling, laughing uncontrollably, talking nonsensically, and just plain freaking out.

?It?s an unpredictable drug that clearly alters rational behavior and alters your psyche,?? Mathias said.

Researchers worry that a rush to regulate the drug could interfere with efforts to learn whether salvinorin A can be used to treat cocaine addiction and Alzheimer?s disease, among other conditions.

They already banned it in Kansas :xI never got to have a say in it. Democracy my ass :frown:

--------------------

wat man rly

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: blujay]
    #11188618 - 10/05/09 07:21 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

It's not the best drug in the world but that's not what this is about ..

It's about democracy. Protect it, for the love of god. If they try to ban this herb in my state you can guarantee I'm going to 'at the very least' write my senators and representatives.

So stop taking this "it doesn't even matter" attitude and get out there and change shit, or the government is going to walk all over us.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: Ban Proposed for Hallucinogenic Herb Salvia [DC] [Re: Magick]
    #11189617 - 10/05/09 09:49 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magick said:
It's not the best drug in the world but that's not what this is about ..

It's about democracy. Protect it, for the love of god. If they try to ban this herb in my state you can guarantee I'm going to 'at the very least' write my senators and representatives.

So stop taking this "it doesn't even matter" attitude and get out there and change shit, or the government is going to walk all over us.

:headbanger:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Hookah, Incense, Rolling Papers, Salvia

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service