Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedankster
Stranger
Are there any grains that do not require PCing? Rice for instance?
    #11180341 - 10/04/09 03:07 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I have read somewhere that Agar found one that didn't require PCing, but I havent been able to find the post.  Alsom, someone mentioned to ask Anno about bulk sterrilization without a PC using some type of multiple sterilizations.  It seems like there should be some grains that you can get soft enough by boiling for a few hours and then steam sterilize them. 

I have heard that rice can sometimes work.  However, some say it will stick together.  Could you add a drop of oil to the mix?  I have hears that the mycelium doesnt like fats.  Could you slightly over cook it to help it absorb more water?  that could make it harder to break up. 
Someone mentioned that you would still need to put verm in there because it would stick together so much.  Could mixing a little verm in with the brown rice keep it separated and loose so that you could shake it up?  Anyone ever tried Wild rice or jasmine rice?

I do have a PC, but it is so small it only fits two one-pint jars in at a time.  I can barely fit 1 layer of a wash cloth under them, so the bottoms frequently get over cooked resulting in exploded grains.  Also, it is so small that it  fits only a little water, and I have had it go dry multiple times. 

One other thing I thought about is briefly pcing the grains in water outside of a jar/bag in order to help them absorb water.  Then, I could transfer them into more quart/pint jars and continue with a steam sterilization.  I know this seems redundant, but presuming I could fit more grains in there outside of he jars then this could work faster.  I have a big pot that has a very good, tight-fitting lid that can fit many jars.  One problem with this method could be the skins might come off, clogging the steam vent.

Share your thoughts and experiences!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Are there any grains that do not require PCing? Rice for instance? [Re: dankster]
    #11180365 - 10/04/09 03:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I dont really know if there are any grains that you can use without pc'ing.  I have had to add verm to WBS because of moisture problems so I am sure it will help with the rice.  Make it fluffier easier to mix.

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Are there any grains that do not require PCing? Rice for instance? [Re: truskool]
    #11180651 - 10/04/09 04:06 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Seems like great ideas u have, though I have very limited experience in growing.

But, with my little experience I would say; just throw down the money on a bigger PC. I bought a beautiful new 23 quart PC from ebay for 90 bucks, no shipping charges. Save the pennies; its worth it.

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

Offlinewaixingren
Male

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are there any grains that do not require PCing? Rice for instance? [Re: dankster]
    #11180739 - 10/04/09 04:20 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

even if you could get the rice to be sterile without a pc it is nearly impossible to shake/crumble. its just too sticky. the only time i use whole rice in mycology is for growing sclerotia. for that i rinse brown rice. i then cook it as the packaging instructs. rinse again, drain and pc for an hour.

--------------------

Offlinewocka
Lurker

Re: Are there any grains that do not require PCing? Rice for instance? [Re: waixingren]
    #11180948 - 10/04/09 05:09 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

its not necessarily the type of grain that is in need of PCing, but rather the jar has to be completely sterilized in order for  inoculation to work...

:rolleyes:

InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
Re: Are there any grains that do not require PCing? Rice for instance? [Re: wocka]
    #11180976 - 10/04/09 05:15 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Brown Rice Flour can be steam sterilized. But seriously, go for the PC. I didn't my first time and had a 100% contam rate.

--------------------
-

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation