Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineseeingthing
Stranger
seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc
    #11176970 - 10/03/09 07:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, so please be nice :-)

Okay, below is a picture of the terrarium / fruiting chamber I'm preparing for PF cakes. The components are ultrasonic on timer (submerged in water) at the bottom on the terrarium, bubble wands attached to air pump IN WATER WITHOUT PERLITE (too messy), submerged heater (set to 74 F), and wire rack with cakes.

Any thoughts on this design? Should I use perlite even though it's a mess? If the humidity is high enough will the air temp adjust to fairly close to the temp of the water?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: seeingthing]
    #11177005 - 10/03/09 07:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Seems like a lot of work. You should look into a Shotgun Fc, like in the videos.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: Doc_T]
    #11177064 - 10/03/09 08:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I say go for it man. Most people will tell you use the shotty fc. Same thing happened to me when I posted about my grow compartment. They really don't answer the question, just give there opinion. Being that mycology is mainly about waiting, waiting, and waiting some more, I think half the fun is in setting up and planning. It gets boring waiting for mycelium to grow, so experimenting makes it more fun. Plus you wont really know if it will work unless you try. Good luck man.

--------------------
Grain Jar to Homemade Mycobag Tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10954174

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: FuckMeRunnin]
    #11177089 - 10/03/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i have tried using just water. for whatever reason the humidity just didnt stay as high as when I used geolite or lava rock.

geolite is pretty clean compared to perlite, but the rest of the design seems alright.

you probably shouldnt put the humidifier under the water though, and with the pump you really dont need the big air exchange holes. unless the lid is solid airtight, which most arent

Offlineseeingthing
Stranger
Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: FuckMeRunnin]
    #11177108 - 10/03/09 08:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the experimentation is fun but I'm afraid to introduce too many variables and funk up my first batch. The way I see it though, my setup has a few advantages over the shotgun: heating element, less messy, cool looking mist (nak nak), and positive air pressure. Did I forget anything?

Offlineseeingthing
Stranger
Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: dkamp18]
    #11177130 - 10/03/09 08:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dkamp18 said:
i have tried using just water. for whatever reason the humidity just didnt stay as high as when I used geolite or lava rock.

geolite is pretty clean compared to perlite, but the rest of the design seems alright.

Ahh, okay. I'll look into those. Lava rocks would look nice too. I'll all about aesthetics.

Quote:

dkamp18 said:
you probably shouldnt put the humidifier under the water though, and with the pump you really dont need the big air exchange holes. unless the lid is solid airtight, which most arent

Good points here. The positive pressure should not really require large holes, as you say. What is the reason the ultrasonic mister should be submerged in the water? It has to be submerged in water to work at all, so why not the bottom on the terrarium?

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: seeingthing]
    #11177134 - 10/03/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

not to knock the heating element but unless you already have it and the room your fruiting in doesnt get ridiculously cold, you really dont need it

I have 4 casings that are pinning in a room that gets to 50 degrees at night

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11177186 - 10/03/09 08:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dkamp18 said:

"The reason" is the amount of wet surface area evaporating moisture into your FC.
Water is flat. Perlite isn't. A bubble wand is better, but still lacking.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: Doc_T]
    #11177212 - 10/03/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

true. that is why I now like to use large lava rocks with perlite covering the small spaces.

more surface area

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11177215 - 10/03/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Assuming that you haven't purchased anything yet and have the cash to blow, you can build a pimp martha for a bit more dough and about the same amount of work.

I think what Doc_T was eluding at is that a terrarium of that caliber doesn't scale well, especially with the work involved to make one. If you want to increase your grow, you have a ton more work to put in to make another one. shotty/mono tubs are easily scalable due to their simplicity (I can bang out a mono in an hour for $10). If you build a martha, you can grow into it.

You got a filter for that air intake, btw?

--------------------
semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

Sclerotia FAQ... If ya ain't got any stones, grow some.

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Ghetto Tek: Auto FAE & Light

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: fundamentalchair]
    #11177307 - 10/03/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

^solid advice

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlineseeingthing
Stranger
Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: fundamentalchair]
    #11179383 - 10/04/09 09:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks everyone for the advise.

Quote:

fundamentalchair said:
Assuming that you haven't purchased anything yet and have the cash to blow, you can build a pimp martha for a bit more dough and about the same amount of work.

I already have most of the equipment, and sadly no room for a Martha in my current situation. Someday. I was mainly concerned with getting something mostly automated.

Quote:

fundamentalchair said:
You got a filter for that air intake, btw?

How important is a HEPA over the air intake? I'm planning on getting a HEPA to run in the same room, and that should help, but I wasn't planning on putting a filter over the Tetra Whisper (which is the last piece I have to buy).

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #11179446 - 10/04/09 09:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Man - for all that work, you'd be muuuuuuuuch better just making a monotub, or fruiting in buckets :shrug:  You'll get more and it'll be easier. 

I don't know why people shy away from bulk.  I feel like it's only a LITTLE more difficult than cakes, but you get much more and the fruiting boxes are just soooo much more simple (i.e. monotub)

Offlinecloudsaregathering
pasturbater
Male

Loc: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: memes]
    #11179460 - 10/04/09 09:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Man - for all that work, you'd be muuuuuuuuch better just making a monotub, or fruiting in buckets :shrug:  You'll get more and it'll be easier. 

I don't know why people shy away from bulk.  I feel like it's only a LITTLE more difficult than cakes, but you get much more and the fruiting boxes are just soooo much more simple (i.e. monotub)

agreed, after doing it a few times it's like second nature... very gratifying crops...

--------------------

"the root of the problem has been isolated"

Offlineseeingthing
Stranger
Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: memes]
    #11179600 - 10/04/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:

Thanks for suggesting monotubs. I just saw something on the forums about that and I'm going to read up now. I couldn't find any teks in the main section about monotubing. Have any good links bookmarked (there is so much stuff on the forums I don't know where to start)?

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: cloudsaregathering]
    #11179655 - 10/04/09 10:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I already have most of the equipment, and sadly no room for a Martha in my current situation. Someday. I was mainly concerned with getting something mostly automated.

Yeah, that's why we use monotubs. Other than fanning (which I'm working on some ideas to automate FAE) they're pretty idiot proof. They're like a ron-co 'set it and forget it' (mono tubs, at least).

Quote:

How important is a HEPA over the air intake? I'm planning on getting a HEPA to run in the same room, and that should help, but I wasn't planning on putting a filter over the Tetra Whisper (which is the last piece I have to buy).

Depends on what you're doin in there. Hepa is most likely overkill, specially if you have a hepa in the room (Keep the intake off the floor). I would probably stuff some polyfill in the intake for good measure, maybe a pipe screen before the poly to make sure none gets sucked in the pump.

once something i fully spawned, its pretty contam resistant. I wouldn't put (dirty) air into colonizing bulk, but once its fully colonized some poly or a filter disk should be sufficient.

Quote:

I don't know why people shy away from bulk.

It looks intimidating, I think.

As long as you don't use some more exotic bulks, coir/verm are as close to contam proof as it gets.

--------------------

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11179681 - 10/04/09 10:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Thanks for suggesting monotubs. I just saw something on the forums about that and I'm going to read up now. I couldn't find any teks in the main section about monotubing. Have any good links bookmarked (there is so much stuff on the forums I don't know where to start)?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=faq&Number=5442167&Searchpage=1&Main=5276282&Words=+Wronguy&topic=&Search=true#Post5442167

Although brief, really, they're that stupid simple.

Drill holes in tub, fill with polly fill. mix bulk and spawn in tub, cover. Some people use opaque tubs and put a 'window' in with plexiglass, I prefer a see through with a light bulb.

I drilled a 1" hole in the lid and used a lamp kit to put a CFL (compact florescent light, ones that go in a light bulb socket) inside the tub. I put this on a timer for 12/12 lighting when its ready to fruit. Still working out some ideas for automated FAE.

--------------------

My Trade list.

Offlinesixsystemz
neo
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over here!!
    #11179686 - 10/04/09 10:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dkamp18 said:
not to knock the heating element but unless you already have it and the room your fruiting in doesnt get ridiculously cold, you really dont need it

I have 4 casings that are pinning in a room that gets to 50 degrees at night

wow what kind of fc are you using?

--------------------
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be. -Albert Einstein

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: seeking thoughts on terrarium design and humidification, etc [Re: sixsystemz]
    #11179788 - 10/04/09 11:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

just a pmp. i keep a fan on in the room, the ac on at night and it has been dipping into the 40s and 50s where i am

Offlinesixsystemz
neo
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over here!!
    #11179957 - 10/04/09 11:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I was planning on using the pmp with a small water heater because its been getting down in the 50s where i am located.

--------------------
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be. -Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix