Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
5 Minutes with Tradd Cotter, Mushroom Expert [SC]
    #11168099 - 10/02/09 05:18 AM (8 years, 19 days ago)

October 2nd, 2009, South Carolina - Islandpacket.com

Not sure if that mushroom in your backyard is deadly or delicious? Ask Tradd Cotter.

The former Bluffton resident now travels the state giving lectures on all things mushroom. He'll be giving a talk and a nature tour Saturday, starting at the Technical College of the Lowcountry and ending in the Altamaha Heritage Preserve.

Cotter, who runs Mushroom Mountain nature center in Liberty, explains why we should make room for mushrooms.

Question. What is it about mushrooms that drew you to them?

Answer. My first introduction came when I was younger. My mother told me there was a mushroom farm out in Charleston, and instead of flipping burgers she said maybe I should get an internship at the farm or something like that. I just got absorbed in it. I was very interested in cultivation at first. Then it became easier and easier to cultivate, and it became more about what mushrooms can be used for. I studied bioremediation and how fungi can be used to help in oil spill clean up and things like that. ... White rot fungi, like oyster mushrooms and shiitake, are really good at breaking down hydrocarbons. A lot of people are spending time and money to find mushrooms that are breaking down environmental toxins.

Q. Most people think mushrooms are just something you eat on pizza or run over in the backyard with the lawn mower.

A. Yeah, I get calls from people who say their dog ate this mushroom and they send a photo and aren't sure if it's poisonous or not, so I get involved in toxicology a bit.

Q. Is the Lowcountry a good place for mushrooms?

A. It's very good. When I was living down in Charleston I was jealous of mushroom hunting in the Upstate. Now that I'm up here, there's things in the Lowcountry I'm jealous about. There's such a dynamic in the elevation change. I love it. It's just like a scavenger hunt.

Q. Do you eat a lot of mushrooms?

A. I never get tired of mushrooms. I will talk until I have no voice. People say, "You must eat mushrooms all the time." I'm like, "No, dude, I don't want to wake up a mushroom."

We grow a lot of mushrooms, and I could eat them every minute. The different strains we have can really boost your immune system. It's like an edible medicine.

Q. Are you expecting to see any poisonous mushrooms while you're down here?

A. We usually get a couple. The Amanita is called the Destroying Angel. It's ounce for ounce one of the deadliest on Earth.

Edited by Twiztidsage (10/02/09 06:11 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleInvisible_Woe
Karma's ricochet
 User Gallery

Loc: Treasure town, Japan
Re: 5 Minutes with Tradd Cotter, Mushroom Expert [SC] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11168204 - 10/02/09 06:43 AM (8 years, 19 days ago)

oooooh amanita.....

--------------------

"Be happy. Be happy."

OfflineNobodyImportant
Stranger
Male

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: 5 Minutes with Tradd Cotter, Mushroom Expert [SC] [Re: Invisible_Woe]
    #11168440 - 10/02/09 08:59 AM (8 years, 19 days ago)

" I'm like, "No, dude, I don't want to wake up a mushroom." :mushroom2::bigblunt:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service