Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: midwest
first attempt at growing
    #11159870 - 09/30/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am trying to do BRF cakes with Cubensis EQ.

I went to over 20 stores in the past two days and no one has 1/2 pint wide mouth, so I just got the reg 1/2 pint jars. Top still seems wider that the bottom but taller and skinnier, would these be OK?

Anyway, I think I may have screwed up already and I was so clean about everything. I made the mix, loaded 10 jars, wiped down inside edge, micropore tape over the holes. loaded them in the steamer pot and started boiling 10min. Thats when I remembered i forgot to cover each jar with foil.

I stopped it down, opened the steamer pot and tape looked fine and still dry and sticking to holes. I put the foil over them all, but I am worried about that, It did look like there was slight moisture in the jar. would that just be from the water I put in the verm flower mix?

Should I start over?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: Mr Fantasy]
    #11159889 - 09/30/09 08:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

they will have to do but you dont have to have 1/2 pint i use all sizes

foil is a must or the water content will be mesed up.

start over is up to you if it is to wet they will colonize slow if at all and would be at hier risk to contams because the dry verm layer may be wet

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

Offlinekingsmountainview
Sultan
Male

Loc: se.us
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: feelfunny]
    #11159970 - 09/30/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't start over. I had a jar fall onto it's side when unloading from the pot once. The top got wet (when I took the foil off the tape was soaked) and it ended up colonizing fine. I just marked that jar and kept an eye on it, it was colonized about 2-3 days later than the others but no biggie besides that.

--------------------
Toxic/Hallucinogenic spores are for microscopy purposes, all posts regarding their cultivation fall under one of three categories: 1) hypothetical scenario 2) complete bullshit 3) complete hypothetical bullshit. Any questions?

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: kingsmountainview]
    #11160079 - 09/30/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

damn, I was replying to the completely wrong thread, lol.

I don't think much water if any got in, the tape was still dry. I think most of the moisture I saw was from the water in the mix. They were only steaming 15-20 min. I foiled them and started the steam bath over.

But do you think it would be best to clear out the top verm, wipe down the inside, and start over from there. Or do you think it will be ok?

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11160146 - 09/30/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Damn, Well I think i am starting over, I don't want to chance any contaminations.

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11160159 - 09/30/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree. No need to start over. What people need to realize is that these teks are more like recipes than "DO THIS OR ELSE YOU WILL FAIL".

I've made several different variations to the PF tek and I'm doing quite well. No flow hood. No glovebox.

I've tried 2 holes vs 4, greater cc's/less cc's, higher temps/lower temps. So far I've had great results by putting the tupperware box that houses the jars outside during the day where the temps reach 80 degrees, then cool them off by bringing them indoors under the ac.

Right now I'm testing out a 3 hole design that are all in a row. I'm hoping I will be able to speed the colonization of the center.

Some of my jars have the microtape, others don't. I don't think it really makes a difference. As long as you have that top layer of verm and you have the correct ratio of water/verm/BRF. I also spray lysol over the box before, during, and after I open it.

I steamed the SHIT out of my jars too to make sure I killed everything. Steamed them for a good 1.5 - 2 hours.

You can always buy the mason jars online. They're about $10-$15 more expensive (due to shipping), but it's at least an option.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: feelfunny]
    #11160168 - 09/30/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

feelfunny said:
they will have to do but you dont have to have 1/2 pint i use all sizes

the ones i am using look like the ones on the right.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11163755 - 10/01/09 12:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So I just finished inoculating the jars, but one thing i noticed is that there is rust forming around the holes in the lids. Is this normal? I don't see how you can avoid it with metal lids and steaming them, but I just want to make sure. Here is a picture of the tops, you can see the rust color around the holes.

Also should I be placing the tape back over the holes after the inoculation?

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Loc: Californi-eh
    #11163780 - 10/01/09 01:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

looks nice and clean to me

yeh keep the tape over the holes
either replace it or put another piece over the holes

--------------------
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: SillyBilly]
    #11163807 - 10/01/09 01:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

good, thats what i did. I put tape back over while still in the glove box.

Hope to have some white pics to post in about a week.

OfflineTryptamineDream
Stranger
Female
    #11163970 - 10/01/09 01:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Those are the same jars I used for my first grow... they seem to be the only kind of that size that most stores stock. Incidentally I also used Ecuador... 3M micropore tape... our first grows are quite similar in fact :grin: Did you order from Sporeworks as well?

Anyways, there is no problem with using the tall jars, you might get a slowdown of colonization as the mycelium gets towards the bottom of the jar but it's not a huge issue. I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the jar shape or what, but I also have consistent trouble with hyphal knots/in vitro pins forming before 100% colonization (despite no contamination or anything like that.) So keep an eye out for that.

You shouldn't have trouble getting the cakes out of those jars. The only time I ever had trouble was when I left one of my in vitro pinning jars to colonize to 100% and sit for a little while (to see if it might affect yield) - the in vitro pins got pretty big, and I ended up spending about two hours attempting to slam/pry/pull the cake out of the jar. I got it out mostly in one piece, but it was a hugely frustrating task. And most of the pins got so bruised that they just ended up aborting :mad: I did get some nice big mushrooms though!

InvisiblePolk_Audio3
Moon Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #11164169 - 10/01/09 02:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

OP do you have an Ace Hardware? You can order them off there website
FREE SHIPPING.

--------------------

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #11164364 - 10/01/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

skalthren said:
Those are the same jars I used for my first grow... they seem to be the only kind of that size that most stores stock. Incidentally I also used Ecuador... 3M micropore tape... our first grows are quite similar in fact :grin: Did you order from Sporeworks as well?

Anyways, there is no problem with using the tall jars, you might get a slowdown of colonization as the mycelium gets towards the bottom of the jar but it's not a huge issue. I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the jar shape or what, but I also have consistent trouble with hyphal knots/in vitro pins forming before 100% colonization (despite no contamination or anything like that.) So keep an eye out for that.

You shouldn't have trouble getting the cakes out of those jars. The only time I ever had trouble was when I left one of my in vitro pinning jars to colonize to 100% and sit for a little while (to see if it might affect yield) - the in vitro pins got pretty big, and I ended up spending about two hours attempting to slam/pry/pull the cake out of the jar. I got it out mostly in one piece, but it was a hugely frustrating task. And most of the pins got so bruised that they just ended up aborting :mad: I did get some nice big mushrooms though!

Thanks for the info, thats funny I did get them from Sporeworks, lol.
I will keep an eye open for the pins.

Quote:

PolkAudio2 said:
OP do you have an Ace Hardware? You can order them off there website
FREE SHIPPING.

yes I do, it was one of the first places I checked, Thanks for the info on the free shipping, I will order a couple cases now.

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11165439 - 10/01/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mr Fantasy said:

Also should I be placing the tape back over the holes after the inoculation?

It makes no difference. I had just mentioned that the post above yours. I have jars with and without and they're fine. I think I personally prefer putting it on until some decent mycelium growth is present then remove them for better gas exchange.

Even if the gas exchange is negligible, I still have them kept in a place with 70+% humidity. Plus the Verm layer acts as a filter for contams, PLUS I keep them in a tupperware box and spray it frequently when opening and closing it.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: po0dingles]
    #11176932 - 10/03/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

lol, so I stopped in a Ace hardware by my parents today and guess what I found. 1/2 pint widemouths. Pissed me off.
I went to at least 20 stores the 2 days I was looking for them.
I bought all they had. Might as well start some B+ as well.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11192331 - 10/06/09 08:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Just found the first spot of mycelium last night, I guess thats a good sign.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11192533 - 10/06/09 09:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

checked again this morning and 4 out of 10 have started colonizing so far.

Should the humidity be at a certain level while colonizing?

I have them in a room where I am keeping the temp between 75-82f.
They are in my computer room where the heat is a little higher that the rest of the house.

The temp seems to drop in the room to 75-78 at night and then rise to 78-82 in the day. I guess it is the light from the window and more activity with the router and computers.

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Loc: Texas
    #11192549 - 10/06/09 09:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Lookin good!  Feels good does it not!  Temp is good...and I remember reading somewhere on here that light makes no difference on the jars.

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.
"You cant stretch nature, give it time, it will come.  Be patient."

Offlinecloudsaregathering
pasturbater
Male

Loc: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: RyeH]
    #11192553 - 10/06/09 09:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah i think everybody has went to the light makes no difference thing...

--------------------

"the root of the problem has been isolated"

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: cloudsaregathering]
    #11192585 - 10/06/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

cool,
What about the humidity in the room, it stays around 40-50%
Is that ok for just colonizing.

The weird things is, I left the jars in the glove box and moved the box in the room. 5 jars on one side of the rubbermaid box and 5 on the other side. All the ones that are showing mycelium so far are next to each other on the right side. I wounder why none on the other side are showing , there is only a foot between them.

Edited by Mr Fantasy (10/06/09 09:59 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract