Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Loc: Gainesville, Florida, USA
I'm in a bit of a pickle
    #11163311 - 10/01/09 01:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, so I'm new to all this, as I'm sure everyone can tell.

I'm trying to grow P. Galindii, a stone producer. I'm using Rye Grass Seed and quart jars.

Here's my problem: I don't have a pressure cooker. Nearly every source I find says that doing grain jars without a pressure cooker is just begging for a contamination disaster.

With that in mind, I'm trying it anyway. I'm sure it's foolish to think that I can, with no experience, pull this off - but I wanted to get started, even if it means failing. I am going to make a liquid culture of my spores so that I won't run out of inoculant. 

Here's my setup:
Large pot, with a cloth on the bottom and filled about halfway up my jars with water. Another pot sitting in the rim of the first, upside down (it fits rather snugly). I then put yet another pot, filled with water, on top of the second one to weigh it down. I'm not fooling myself, I know this isn't going to achieve adequate pressure. I'm just hoping it helps a little.

I am on a tight budget, that's the primary of my concerns. All the pressure cookers I can find online are well over $100. The pressure cookers I have seen at the *marts all seem to be too short. I can deal with only doing 1-3 jars at a time, but the problem is my quart jars are just a hair over 6.5 inches tall. All the pressure cookers (within my price range of $40 or so) are around 5 inches tall, or less. I have checked the local thrift and second hand stores, all to no avail.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Where else I could look or maybe someone with a spare pc could 'hook me up'. I'm not asking for a hand out, but maybe we could work something out.

Thanks for reading

--------------------
"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..." Repo! The Genetic Opera

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so."
Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls
All will be made manifest
And the warriors of the ethereal
Will be our only defense"

~~altair~~

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm in a bit of a pickle [Re: sgaltair]
    #11163328 - 10/01/09 01:31 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Check your local thrift shops for a PC there cheap like 5 bucks cheap there. I would recommend using a PC for grains, with your set up I would steam them for 2 hours, might work.

Edited by Shea25 (10/01/09 01:33 PM)

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: I'm in a bit of a pickle [Re: Shea25]
    #11163350 - 10/01/09 01:35 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
Check your local thrift shops for a PC there cheap like 5 bucks cheap there. I would recommend using a PC for grains, with your set up I would steam them for 2 hours, might work.

As I mentioned in my post I have checked all the local thrift shops I could find.

I'm actually steaming them right now, and they're just over the 2 hour mark. I'm going for a bit longer just for good measure, checking to make sure they don't boil dry of course.

--------------------

Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls

~~altair~~

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm in a bit of a pickle [Re: sgaltair]
    #11163362 - 10/01/09 01:37 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Opps lol didn't see that but you could take a quick drive to other thrift shops out of town, or keep regularly checking your local thrift shops you never know when a PC come in

Edited by Shea25 (10/01/09 01:38 PM)

OfflineSillySiteMan
Candyman

Loc: Prancing In The Daisies
    #11163407 - 10/01/09 01:46 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

ask grandma and grandpa if you can, maybe even mom and dad might have one collecting dust. or maybe buy a small one for now and lay the jars on their side?

--------------------

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #11163415 - 10/01/09 01:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
Opps lol didn't see that but you could take a quick drive to other thrift shops out of town, or keep regularly checking your local thrift shops you never know when a PC come in

True, I'm just trying to get it as soon as possible, because I'd like to do things RIGHT as soon as possible. Who knows, my method may work. But it's certainly not what I want to stick with. It's very tedious and worrisome, especially if it fails epicly.

--------------------

Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls

~~altair~~

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: I'm in a bit of a pickle [Re: SillySiteMan]
    #11163449 - 10/01/09 01:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SillySiteMan said:
ask grandma and grandpa if you can, maybe even mom and dad might have one collecting dust. or maybe buy a small one for now and lay the jars on their side?

Eh, I live with my mother actually. And she doesn't. As far as grandparents I'd find it difficult to explain why I need a large pressure cooker :laugh:. I doubt my grandmother has one anyway. My mother has a small one but I think there's a problem with laying them down...

Won't the water get into the jars that way? I'm using this self healing lid tek. I'm nearly certain that water would be let into the grain jars, completely destroying the water balance. I'm not trying to question you, exactly, I just think one of us is a bit confused.

--------------------

Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls

~~altair~~

Edited by sgaltair (10/01/09 01:54 PM)

OfflineMycoUnderground
Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburban CO
    #11163452 - 10/01/09 01:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I think you are getting too anxious.  I understand you want to get started but I really think you are wasting time, money and resources.  You are going to have nothing but failure. 

It is totally worth investing in a PC.  I just checked Ebay and I saw a 17 qt. PC for $49.  Thats an awesome price for a good, big PC.  Even if you can't get that particular one there are others at a good price.

It makes more sense just to wait till you are completely prepared and buy what you need in order to have a high chance of success than to get ancy and and simply hope for the best with a high chance of failure.

My 2 cents.

OfflineSillySiteMan
Candyman

Loc: Prancing In The Daisies
Re: I'm in a bit of a pickle [Re: MycoUnderground]
    #11163464 - 10/01/09 01:56 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

nah... If the jar is still abovethe water and has tinfoil/micropore tape I've never had water get in or out during pc. and unusually have 7 standing and 2 on their side. just keep water level below the rim.

--------------------

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: I'm in a bit of a pickle [Re: MycoUnderground]
    #11163503 - 10/01/09 02:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MycoUnderground said:
I think you are getting too anxious.  I understand you want to get started but I really think you are wasting time, money and resources.  You are going to have nothing but failure. 

It is totally worth investing in a PC.  I just checked Ebay and I saw a 17 qt. PC for $49.  Thats an awesome price for a good, big PC.  Even if you can't get that particular one there are others at a good price.

It makes more sense just to wait till you are completely prepared and buy what you need in order to have a high chance of success than to get ancy and and simply hope for the best with a high chance of failure.

My 2 cents.

You're completely correct, and I agree. Now that I've started though, I'm going to just do these 2 jars. Whether they fail or succeed, with the former being vastly more likely, I'll wait until I get a PC to do more.

I won't be able to buy one for 2 weeks or more, because my next paycheck is already spoken for by a debt.

I currently work part time at a grocery store making $7.75/hr... I'm 18. I have talents and skills that should get me a much better job in the computer field, the problem is good jobs are hard to come by. Their even harder to come by when you've just graduated highschool and only have two references: A grocery store job for 1 year, and a paid internship in IT for 1 month. I only get around $100 a week as it is, so money is pretty tight. I'm starting community college in January.

Yeah I know that information was unnecessary, I just wanted to make my situation known.

Again, you're very right. I'm being too impatient and should just wait. Which I will do, now. I'm still going to do whatever I can to help those two jars survive, even though I have absolutely no expectation whatsoever that they will do so.

Quote:

nah... If the jar is still abovethe water and has tinfoil/micropore tape I've never had water get in or out during pc. and unusually have 7 standing and 2 on their side. just keep water level below the rim.

O.o Wow. I may well do a third jar today just to see if that works. Thanks for your input. It'll be a royal pain to sterilize one jar at a time but it may just work until I can buy a bigger one.

My jars have a tyvek GE port sealed around the edges with silicone. I'll get some aluminum foil for good measure. Hopefully this will work. :laugh:

--------------------

Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls

~~altair~~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain