Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThisIsPathetic
Tech Support
Male User Gallery

Quick question about when steaming jars...prob an obvious awnser :/
    #11161760 - 10/01/09 01:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

OK, so ive done this a million times before, but lately when i make BRF jars, too much water has been entering the jars during the steaming process...causing disaster... haha

So basically, I've been using tape over the 4 holes while steaming...so NO water can get it (then just discard the tape before inoculation) BUT my question is, can i do that? When you steam, is it just heating up the jars to basically kill off contams, OR when you steam is it the steam entering and leaving the jar...to kill off contams...Cuz with tape, theres no way for steam to get in or/and out...

any help?

--------------------
Now that's what I call cubes :smile:

R A I N B O W W A R R I O R

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNuggetpouch
Male

Re: Quick question about when steaming jars...prob an obvious awnser :/ [Re: ThisIsPathetic]
    #11161794 - 10/01/09 01:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ThisIsPathetic said:
cuz with tape, theres no way for steam to get in or/and out...

steam is evaporated water , so i'm pretty sure you don't want it literally getting in or out of your jar. if steam can get in, water can get in.

tape up the tin-foil on the jars and you'll be fine....

i usually just put the tin-foil on really really tight with about two or three layers...

also you don't need that much water in the pot, just enough to evaporate and make steam.... you don't even need the water to touch the jars if you could pull it off, use as little water as possible to keep a lower water level in the pot... just make sure you use enough water to get a calm boil that produces steam.. you can always add more if it evaporates though

--------------------
My statistical assumption is that chemical tapering should begin when the rate of visiting ODD exceeds the rate of visiting Pub, or any other Shroomery forum.

Edited by Nuggetpouch (10/01/09 01:57 AM)

Offlinechillywilly419
Arctic Plumber

Re: Quick question about when steaming jars...prob an obvious awnser :/ [Re: ThisIsPathetic]
    #11161835 - 10/01/09 02:08 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

steam surrounds the jars, heating them to a temperature suitable for sterilization to occur :thumbup: hope that helps a little.

--------------------

Offlinechronosync
kicked the habit. shed my skin.

Re: Quick question about when steaming jars...prob an obvious awnser :/ [Re: chillywilly419]
    #11161893 - 10/01/09 02:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

use masking tape on the holes, use tin foil on the lids, dont wrap your jars in tape. (sticky mess) use a rubber band if you need to, but foil form fits on a jar anyways. take all this off for the next steps: inoculation and colonization.

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11161901 - 10/01/09 02:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ThisIsPathetic said:
OK, so ive done this a million times before, but lately when i make BRF jars, too much water has been entering the jars during the steaming process...causing disaster... haha

So basically, I've been using tape over the 4 holes while steaming...so NO water can get it (then just discard the tape before inoculation) BUT my question is, can i do that? When you steam, is it just heating up the jars to basically kill off contams, OR when you steam is it the steam entering and leaving the jar...to kill off contams...Cuz with tape, theres no way for steam to get in or/and out...

any help?

you're also covering your jars with foil correct? i use a rubber band to hold the foil tightly in place  so moisture content is not disturbed. tape is not required when using foil but wont hurt... :shrug:

--------------------
:shrug:

OfflineThisIsPathetic
Tech Support
Male User Gallery

Re: Quick question about when steaming jars...prob an obvious awnser :/ [Re: nastos]
    #11162027 - 10/01/09 03:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

actually for the batches I'm doing right now...i didn't use foil...since i used duct tape on the holes of the jars, i figured foil wasn't needed for water wont get passed the square of duct tape covering it...and yeah, i usually inoculate straight through the duct tape (through a alcohol soaked sponge) and then remove the tape for air exchange a couple days later...

any other help or comments on what i just said is always more than welcome :smile:

i LOVE this community...its like tech support. ha ha

thanks guys

--------------------
Now that's what I call cubes :smile:

R A I N B O W W A R R I O R

Invisiblejoska87
xenophobia
Male User Gallery

Loc: Idaho...No U Da Ho
    #11162097 - 10/01/09 04:28 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ya i do the opposite...which is no tape just foil with only 2 holes and i havent had a bad batch yet and im on my 3rd....i just dont like to have peel back tape for every inoc point.

--------------------
When I was a boy i came across two nuns makin love in cave....That typa shit wont happen in the future...
:strokebeard:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Quick question about when steaming jars...prob an obvious awnser :/ [Re: joska87]
    #11162160 - 10/01/09 05:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

follow the tek. raise your jars out of the water, use micopore or masking tape over the holes and foil lids tightly on your jars. You wont get moisture getting inside yours jars if yoiu do it right.

Are you absolutly sure its moisture getting in and not just condensation forming. Or that your moisture content is off in the first place??

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1