Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: midwest
first attempt at growing
    #11159870 - 09/30/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am trying to do BRF cakes with Cubensis EQ.

I went to over 20 stores in the past two days and no one has 1/2 pint wide mouth, so I just got the reg 1/2 pint jars. Top still seems wider that the bottom but taller and skinnier, would these be OK?

Anyway, I think I may have screwed up already and I was so clean about everything. I made the mix, loaded 10 jars, wiped down inside edge, micropore tape over the holes. loaded them in the steamer pot and started boiling 10min. Thats when I remembered i forgot to cover each jar with foil.

I stopped it down, opened the steamer pot and tape looked fine and still dry and sticking to holes. I put the foil over them all, but I am worried about that, It did look like there was slight moisture in the jar. would that just be from the water I put in the verm flower mix?

Should I start over?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: Mr Fantasy]
    #11159889 - 09/30/09 08:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

they will have to do but you dont have to have 1/2 pint i use all sizes

foil is a must or the water content will be mesed up.

start over is up to you if it is to wet they will colonize slow if at all and would be at hier risk to contams because the dry verm layer may be wet

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

Offlinekingsmountainview
Sultan
Male

Loc: se.us
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: feelfunny]
    #11159970 - 09/30/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't start over. I had a jar fall onto it's side when unloading from the pot once. The top got wet (when I took the foil off the tape was soaked) and it ended up colonizing fine. I just marked that jar and kept an eye on it, it was colonized about 2-3 days later than the others but no biggie besides that.

--------------------
Toxic/Hallucinogenic spores are for microscopy purposes, all posts regarding their cultivation fall under one of three categories: 1) hypothetical scenario 2) complete bullshit 3) complete hypothetical bullshit. Any questions?

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: kingsmountainview]
    #11160079 - 09/30/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

damn, I was replying to the completely wrong thread, lol.

I don't think much water if any got in, the tape was still dry. I think most of the moisture I saw was from the water in the mix. They were only steaming 15-20 min. I foiled them and started the steam bath over.

But do you think it would be best to clear out the top verm, wipe down the inside, and start over from there. Or do you think it will be ok?

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11160146 - 09/30/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Damn, Well I think i am starting over, I don't want to chance any contaminations.

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11160159 - 09/30/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree. No need to start over. What people need to realize is that these teks are more like recipes than "DO THIS OR ELSE YOU WILL FAIL".

I've made several different variations to the PF tek and I'm doing quite well. No flow hood. No glovebox.

I've tried 2 holes vs 4, greater cc's/less cc's, higher temps/lower temps. So far I've had great results by putting the tupperware box that houses the jars outside during the day where the temps reach 80 degrees, then cool them off by bringing them indoors under the ac.

Right now I'm testing out a 3 hole design that are all in a row. I'm hoping I will be able to speed the colonization of the center.

Some of my jars have the microtape, others don't. I don't think it really makes a difference. As long as you have that top layer of verm and you have the correct ratio of water/verm/BRF. I also spray lysol over the box before, during, and after I open it.

I steamed the SHIT out of my jars too to make sure I killed everything. Steamed them for a good 1.5 - 2 hours.

You can always buy the mason jars online. They're about $10-$15 more expensive (due to shipping), but it's at least an option.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11160168 - 09/30/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

feelfunny said:
they will have to do but you dont have to have 1/2 pint i use all sizes

the ones i am using look like the ones on the right.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11163755 - 10/01/09 12:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So I just finished inoculating the jars, but one thing i noticed is that there is rust forming around the holes in the lids. Is this normal? I don't see how you can avoid it with metal lids and steaming them, but I just want to make sure. Here is a picture of the tops, you can see the rust color around the holes.

Also should I be placing the tape back over the holes after the inoculation?

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Loc: Californi-eh
    #11163780 - 10/01/09 01:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

looks nice and clean to me

yeh keep the tape over the holes
either replace it or put another piece over the holes

--------------------
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: SillyBilly]
    #11163807 - 10/01/09 01:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

good, thats what i did. I put tape back over while still in the glove box.

Hope to have some white pics to post in about a week.

OfflineTryptamineDream
Stranger
Female
    #11163970 - 10/01/09 01:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Those are the same jars I used for my first grow... they seem to be the only kind of that size that most stores stock. Incidentally I also used Ecuador... 3M micropore tape... our first grows are quite similar in fact :grin: Did you order from Sporeworks as well?

Anyways, there is no problem with using the tall jars, you might get a slowdown of colonization as the mycelium gets towards the bottom of the jar but it's not a huge issue. I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the jar shape or what, but I also have consistent trouble with hyphal knots/in vitro pins forming before 100% colonization (despite no contamination or anything like that.) So keep an eye out for that.

You shouldn't have trouble getting the cakes out of those jars. The only time I ever had trouble was when I left one of my in vitro pinning jars to colonize to 100% and sit for a little while (to see if it might affect yield) - the in vitro pins got pretty big, and I ended up spending about two hours attempting to slam/pry/pull the cake out of the jar. I got it out mostly in one piece, but it was a hugely frustrating task. And most of the pins got so bruised that they just ended up aborting :mad: I did get some nice big mushrooms though!

InvisiblePolk_Audio3
Moon Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #11164169 - 10/01/09 02:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

OP do you have an Ace Hardware? You can order them off there website
FREE SHIPPING.

--------------------

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #11164364 - 10/01/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

skalthren said:
Those are the same jars I used for my first grow... they seem to be the only kind of that size that most stores stock. Incidentally I also used Ecuador... 3M micropore tape... our first grows are quite similar in fact :grin: Did you order from Sporeworks as well?

Anyways, there is no problem with using the tall jars, you might get a slowdown of colonization as the mycelium gets towards the bottom of the jar but it's not a huge issue. I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the jar shape or what, but I also have consistent trouble with hyphal knots/in vitro pins forming before 100% colonization (despite no contamination or anything like that.) So keep an eye out for that.

You shouldn't have trouble getting the cakes out of those jars. The only time I ever had trouble was when I left one of my in vitro pinning jars to colonize to 100% and sit for a little while (to see if it might affect yield) - the in vitro pins got pretty big, and I ended up spending about two hours attempting to slam/pry/pull the cake out of the jar. I got it out mostly in one piece, but it was a hugely frustrating task. And most of the pins got so bruised that they just ended up aborting :mad: I did get some nice big mushrooms though!

Thanks for the info, thats funny I did get them from Sporeworks, lol.
I will keep an eye open for the pins.

Quote:

PolkAudio2 said:
OP do you have an Ace Hardware? You can order them off there website
FREE SHIPPING.

yes I do, it was one of the first places I checked, Thanks for the info on the free shipping, I will order a couple cases now.

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11165439 - 10/01/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mr Fantasy said:

Also should I be placing the tape back over the holes after the inoculation?

It makes no difference. I had just mentioned that the post above yours. I have jars with and without and they're fine. I think I personally prefer putting it on until some decent mycelium growth is present then remove them for better gas exchange.

Even if the gas exchange is negligible, I still have them kept in a place with 70+% humidity. Plus the Verm layer acts as a filter for contams, PLUS I keep them in a tupperware box and spray it frequently when opening and closing it.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: po0dingles]
    #11176932 - 10/03/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

lol, so I stopped in a Ace hardware by my parents today and guess what I found. 1/2 pint widemouths. Pissed me off.
I went to at least 20 stores the 2 days I was looking for them.
I bought all they had. Might as well start some B+ as well.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11192331 - 10/06/09 08:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Just found the first spot of mycelium last night, I guess thats a good sign.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11192533 - 10/06/09 09:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

checked again this morning and 4 out of 10 have started colonizing so far.

Should the humidity be at a certain level while colonizing?

I have them in a room where I am keeping the temp between 75-82f.
They are in my computer room where the heat is a little higher that the rest of the house.

The temp seems to drop in the room to 75-78 at night and then rise to 78-82 in the day. I guess it is the light from the window and more activity with the router and computers.

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Loc: Texas
    #11192549 - 10/06/09 09:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Lookin good!  Feels good does it not!  Temp is good...and I remember reading somewhere on here that light makes no difference on the jars.

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.
"You cant stretch nature, give it time, it will come.  Be patient."

Offlinecloudsaregathering
pasturbater
Male

Loc: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: RyeH]
    #11192553 - 10/06/09 09:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah i think everybody has went to the light makes no difference thing...

--------------------

"the root of the problem has been isolated"

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: cloudsaregathering]
    #11192585 - 10/06/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

cool,
What about the humidity in the room, it stays around 40-50%
Is that ok for just colonizing.

The weird things is, I left the jars in the glove box and moved the box in the room. 5 jars on one side of the rubbermaid box and 5 on the other side. All the ones that are showing mycelium so far are next to each other on the right side. I wounder why none on the other side are showing , there is only a foot between them.

Edited by Mr Fantasy (10/06/09 09:59 AM)

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11195661 - 10/06/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds great. So far I've been successful with putting jars in 70-75 degree climates to incubate. Then once I see mycelium I put them in 80 degree temps (high humidity) and they colonize faster. However I wouldn't go over 80 degrees, since it won't help much. Plus you'll want to have some colonization before you do so, otherwise the increased temps can also increase the risk of foreign contams. Good luck and KEEP READING! Search the forum for all of your questions before u make a new post. I'd also recommend you start participating in the grow log section. :smile:

GL

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11303722 - 10/22/09 11:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So it has been 21 days from inoculation, they are still not 100% most are just around 50% a couple around 75-80%. One jar just started showing about 4 days ago, and one not at all. Seems like it is taking a long time.
I have not moved them and temps have been the same around 78-82f.
most are starting to pull away from the jar walls where the mycelium is heaviest.
Is there something I am doing wrong?
Here is a pic from tonight.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11304693 - 10/23/09 07:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Bump

So is something wrong that I am doing?
Why are some so spread out in in starting?
Is pulling away from the jar walls normal if not 100% covered?

Since some are late to start should I break up the dunk and roll as they become ready?

Edited by Mr Fantasy (10/23/09 08:00 AM)

Offlinekubenzi
hakuna matata
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #11304723 - 10/23/09 07:35 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mr Fantasy said:
I am trying to do BRF cakes with Cubensis EQ.

I went to over 20 stores in the past two days and no one has 1/2 pint wide mouth, so I just got the reg 1/2 pint jars. Top still seems wider that the bottom but taller and skinnier, would these be OK?

Anyway, I think I may have screwed up already and I was so clean about everything. I made the mix, loaded 10 jars, wiped down inside edge, micropore tape over the holes. loaded them in the steamer pot and started boiling 10min. Thats when I remembered i forgot to cover each jar with foil.

I stopped it down, opened the steamer pot and tape looked fine and still dry and sticking to holes. I put the foil over them all, but I am worried about that, It did look like there was slight moisture in the jar. would that just be from the water I put in the verm flower mix?

Should I start over?

In that case I would probably start over, but if its not a bad case of moisture you should be fine because the jars still need to be sterilized. Oh yea and I also used the reg. mouth 1/2 Pint canning jars. They work just fine, the case needs a little tapping to get out, you should be good with those. Good Luck Later :leaving:

--------------------
-"E.T. Phone Home"
                              :etbig:
                                      ZOOT                 
      The brilliant mindset purely insane or pure genius?

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: kubenzi]
    #11304793 - 10/23/09 07:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

?

OfflineVictoriaPandora
Slave to the Search
Female User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Nowhere
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: kubenzi]
    #11305255 - 10/23/09 10:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

They look good, nice and white. Yeah it looks like you are gonna birth some earlier than others. You can wait for all of them but you'd likely be getting pinning invitro on some of the faster jars.

I guess you don't really have the starting over after pc'ing question anymore, but really I don't think I would ever dump out jars and start over until I was sure they were screwed. In the future, if you have reason to believe some jars may be stuffed you could just make more jars as back up. My first jars were incredibly wet, I think I must have mixed wrong but they came out ok in the end. So, they can withstand a couple of mistakes... better to give them the benefit of a doubt:)

I couldn't find wide mouths for my first grow either and it was a bitch. I used the ones you have and I ended up cutting the jars apart with a glass cutter. I'd really let them colonize so tightly that they would not come out without major damage, but I didn't want to take a chance on birthing them too early. Tricky business. My jars never colonise all at the same time, but it doesn't hurt anything... just makes it a little harder to remember which cake is on what flush later on. I thought about putting little labels on toothpicks and sticking them in the cakes to keep up. I think I will do that on my next grow.

After that fiasco of demolishing the jars I used the later colonising ones for bulk because I didn't want to have to destroy all the jars. That worked out ok until I had to leave town for an emergency and came home to trich. :::cry::: But that's a whole 'nother story, grrr.

I keep reading about speedy colonization times but for me it's almost always at least 28 days. Maybe they run with the moon:) That might be that my spore prints were two years old.
Also it's not uncommon for me to see no growth at all after ten days, when this first happened I thought all the jars had failed, but since they weren't contamed I just set them aside and ignored them for another ten days, and then they started taking off.

I had the same experience with Ace, it just seems the wide mouths are harder to find. I ended up having to order them online after going all over town:/
From what I have read the rust on your jar lids won't hurt, but it's annoying...I don't trust it, haha.
Good luck!

Oh, and the pulling away is normal too.

Edited by VictoriaPandora (10/23/09 10:12 AM)

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: VictoriaPandora]
    #11305566 - 10/23/09 11:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the answering VictoriaPandora. I feel a little better now.

OfflineDrevrens
Stranger Than You.
 User Gallery

#11306205 - 10/23/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

VictoriaPandora said:

Also it's not uncommon for me to see no growth at all after ten days, when this first happened I thought all the jars had failed, but since they weren't contamed I just set them aside and ignored them for another ten days, and then they started taking off.

Thanks man, you just fixed my paranoia about spending $150 on all the supplies for PF-Tek and seeing nothing after 8 days. I got so board I decided to try using rye seed a few days ago. Made up 5 rye jars and I am waiting on them now too lol. I was starting to think that the syringes I got were bunk but a little bird told me that I shouldn't have any problems in a store run by who it is run by. 8 days on my first 6 pf-tek jars and 6 days on my second pf-tek jars and 2 days on my 5 rye seed jars. Hopefully I will see something in the next few days... I would be happy seeing anything grow hopefully I see mycelium tho.

--------------------
Cheers,
Drevrens

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: Drevrens]
    #11334560 - 10/27/09 08:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

HELP!
I have pinning on jars that are not 100% what should I do?

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11334620 - 10/27/09 08:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

cut off uncolonized part and fruit. it is usually caused by a contam so do it soon.

--------------------

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11334816 - 10/27/09 09:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

should I still dunk and roll them or just go straight in the fruiting chamber?

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11334820 - 10/27/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

dunk and roll or just put some verm on top

--------------------

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11335923 - 10/28/09 12:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well, I put the three that were pinning in the fruiting chamber.
As you can see on the left cake, the one with the big pins bruised a bit getting it out of the jar.
I hope some make it.
I think it was the type of jars I used that made them take too long to colonize 100%, everyday they were getting more and more, but today I noticed the pins.

OfflineKidwonder
Mr.
Male

Loc: Oregon
    #11336408 - 10/28/09 03:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Do you see the way the jars turned darker at the bottom? Bacteria!!!!

yuk!

I had a set of jars that did that once. I took them out and washed them under water. I used a little water pressure and all the bacteria parts washed off. Then I dunked and rolled half and grew some in a casing.
Worked perfectly fine.

Good luck.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: Kidwonder]
    #11336733 - 10/28/09 07:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think the darker at the bottom in my pic is from it being wetter, I had just did a light dunk and roll before that picture. The mycelium was a little looser in that area and absorbed more. it is the same color over all now.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11360164 - 10/31/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

just an update on those jars so far, the bigger mushroom on the far left is the one that I bruised getting out of the jar, I am glade it survived.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11360174 - 10/31/09 10:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

How often are you fanning ??

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: Shea25]
    #11360248 - 10/31/09 10:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Um, fanning?  I think I missed that part
I was just doing the PF-TEK with the shotgun terrarium.
and watching the vids at lets grow mushrooms.

What should I do??? I have a fan.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11360266 - 10/31/09 10:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yea your mushrooms look like there lacking FAE (Fresh Air Exchange) thats why I asked.

Heres what you want to do. Mist the cakes 3-4 times a day and then fan right afterwards, just use the lid of the fruiting chamber to fan it out. Fan 5-6 times a day.

Over time the FC will need to replenish the O2. It builds up Co2 which is not good for forming fruit bodies.

Edited by Shea25 (10/31/09 10:29 PM)

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11360287 - 10/31/09 10:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

cool, I have been misting 3-4 times a day.
so I just want to move the air around a bit?
Is that why the are so round?

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11360298 - 10/31/09 10:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You want to fan them for a good 30 seconds to a minute after every mist.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11360322 - 10/31/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks, I just went in and fanned them.

I am so glad this forum is here with people helping each other, it would suck to figure this stuff out by yourself. Seems like you can learn in a day what took people back in the day a year to learn from trial and error.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11360340 - 10/31/09 10:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yea its a vast library of knowledge, with people like you and me ect.. around to help out others

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX Flag
    #11360589 - 11/01/09 12:09 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Next time you've got a stubborn PF cake like that (seemingly stuck at that last 1-20%) cut it off like you did and just spawn it to a small bulk tray. Shit's like scooby snaks, the myc will just take off, and you'll get way more yeild. Gladware containers you get like with lunch meat are perfect size IMO, you can get away with half a cake per tray.

Oh and REALLY keep an eye out for those wide mouth half pints. You can get cakes to colonize from multispore in like 2 weeks with those, less with a good LC, they colonize from the bottom up for me usually.

--------------------
AMU

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: Randomstickynote]
    #11360609 - 11/01/09 12:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Healthy cakes should not stall at 80% let them colonize and fruit as is. If you want to spawn to bulk use grains. As for the correct jar's always use the short 1/2 pint jars for the PF jars

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX Flag
    #11360674 - 11/01/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
Healthy cakes should not stall at 80% let them colonize and fruit as is. If you want to spawn to bulk use grains. As for the correct jar's always use the short 1/2 pint jars for the PF jars

I'm not talking about real stalling, I'm saying for people using those tall half pints, that last 1-20% seems to just take forever sometimes (like, you'll wait all week as that tiny corner gets smaller and smaller at a snails pace) Instead of waiting all freaking week for a tiny useless corner, hack that off and spawn to a tray, and have that tray colonized in the same amount of time.

As for using grains, there's nothing wrong with running some PF cakes/small trays between and during projects. I have a ton of verm and BR sitting around, every time I'm going to PC something I mix up 2 or 4 PF cakes and throw them in there too.

--------------------
AMU

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: Randomstickynote]
    #11360930 - 11/01/09 03:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have used the tall half pints, waiting the extra week or so for them to colonize it worth it. If you want to spawn to bulk use grains. fruiting cakes as is, is the best way i just got under 18 grams dry off 2 cakes first flush

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11361399 - 11/01/09 08:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thats what seems is happening, they never stopped colonizing but just taking forever to get to the bottom and corners. Then the first part that colonized starts to pin before the jar is 100%. I found some short 1/2 pint wides, I am going to start those this week.

Thanks for the help guys, I am sure I will be asking for more.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11429695 - 11/10/09 10:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I just harvested part of my first flush a couple days ago.
still waiting to harvesting the first on the jars that took a while to fully colonize.

my question now is, why am I getting a lot of short stumpy ones, and also why am I getting blueing on the base of some I never touch?
I am now misting 3-4 times a day and fan for FAE 4-6 times a day.
Am I over misting? I want to nail this down before I start my next batch.
Here are som pics of some of the first flush, and before anyone asks, those are two rocks I boiled and put under the cake to hold it up because I had to cut part of the uncolonized part off.

one of the the first I picked and dried.

On a side note:
I am a noob at growing mushrooms, but not at eating them.
I have had many good and so,so trips even some real duds in my life.

So I dried and ground up 4 grams from the above and made a chocolate bar.
I tell you about 2 hours in I was in another world. I could barely tell what way was up. Shadows turned to holes and streams, the rug on my bathroom floor turned to a twisted stairway that just went down, my pillows turned into giant mushroom stalks that were holding my head. It was very intense, I would say too intense, and then I got stuck in a mind game till I fell asleep.
I thought EQ was going to just be average from what I had read, holy mother of god was I wrong.

OfflineMr Fantasy
Explorer of Inner Space
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11431407 - 11/11/09 06:01 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Bump,
my question now is, why am I getting a lot of short stumpy ones, and also why am I getting blueing on the base of some I never touch?
I am now misting 3-4 times a day and fan for FAE 4-6 times a day.
Am I over misting? I want to nail this down before I start my next batch.

OfflineVictoriaPandora
Slave to the Search
Female User Gallery

#11447621 - 11/13/09 12:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I don't know, I wouldn't worry about the blueing. And I always get the short fatties with the EQ's, a few of them come out pretty large but they tend to be quite short and very round. I think that is just their nature because I can grow GT's right beside them and they come out a lot more picturesque.

However,I'm rather fond of the EQ's now, they are my favourite right now. No problem in the potency department at all! I've had them blue at the bottoms before too, but not a noticably as yours. My GUESS is they are just potent, they're so fat they can barely get out of the cake without bruising themselves, haha.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, but right now I am much happier that I rigged a cool mist into the FC, they seem to like the mist a lot more than my spraying. I just turn it on when I would normally be spraying them.
The spraying seemed kind of harsh and they would build a lot of myc up on the base, maybe from all the misting. I am still learning...
I should take a picture of the short fatties I have right now, they look about like your ones, I think I am fanning plenty, it just seems to be what the EQ's I have grown tend to be like.

Edited by VictoriaPandora (11/13/09 12:59 PM)

OfflineVictoriaPandora
Slave to the Search
Female User Gallery

#11448893 - 11/13/09 04:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Also those short fatties pinned invitro and I think that affects their growth from there on out.

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #11449164 - 11/13/09 04:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, those look great. My first grow was EQ. For PF cakes those don't look short at all. They are bigger than the EQ's that I first grow. As for them turning blue, I don't know. But if they are potent, and obviously look good, I don't see the problem. Personally I think I would mist once or twice a day maybe morning and night. Really do it as needed but I wouldn't think you would need to do it as much, but then again you might with your growing condition. Looks good though, I don't see a problem.

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
Re: first attempt at growing [Re: daytripper05]
    #11449173 - 11/13/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You changed the thread, and the original picture? You should put the the pics back up at least. They were good pics. :shrug:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures