Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: NS, Canada's Darkside
Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location)
    #11159473 - 09/30/09 09:23 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I'm here in NS, Canada and "our" season began (at least for me) yesterday!... It was quite wet out with an average temp of around 13*C (55.4*F). It dropped to a low of 10.3*C but the air felt surprisingly warm.. I went in a T-Shirt & shorts and oddly enough got more mosquito bites then I've had all summer!.. I found about 20-25 "Semi's" on the outer edges of my field in the highest elevation...Most of them were "Rain-Drained" (Brownish-Tan Color)..but I did find one large Creamy White Cap. I love seeing those monsters towering above the grass like a Flag.. They always have a bunch of "friends" laying low around them. I won't be able to get out for a few days now though (stupid work).. It's painful having to wait..My ultimate goal is to compile an informational paper about "Semi" habitats & Conditions... I have all the usual "Generic" information about them but am looking for individuals who have their own personal observations & opinions on the topic... Grass types, weather conditions, soil compositions & Ph Levels are all of interest as well as anything you mite feel is relevant.... I've kept and will continue keeping weather logs etc. as the season progresses. I will gladly share any info I acquire as well.... As i said all feedback will be appreciated and Good Luck Hunting!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: Liberty King]
    #11185423 - 10/05/09 09:50 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

On a recent road trip to an inland area of NS I came across "perfect" Semi specimens in Very tall rank grass... the area which I found them in was always along the right hand side of the trail, which remained shaded longer than other areas of the field thus staying cooler longer! 

The Semi's had exceedingly long stems allowing their perfect creamy colored caps to be easily seen within the long grass. The area had been mowed down towards the end of summer allowing a blanket of decomposing grass near by.. as well as wood chips from a logging area further up the path. The tall shaded grass also remained moist longer after the sun arose!.. I can't help but wonder if the rest of the grass hadn't been cut would it to have created the right habitat for these little monsters as well?... Or were they only favoring that side of the trail due to the cooler temperature & increased moisture?

The next area I searched I was sure would have Semi's!... I was wrong!
The former cattle field was grown in with varying levels of grass & shade..in some areas it did have clover grass which we were always told thwarted Semi's (whether or not this is true).. There were also some rooted vegetables of some sort (perhaps beets) growing sporadically throughout the field. I don't know if maybe these vegetables effected the soils pH causing Semi's not to grow? or if possibly because it was a very low lying area instead of on a cliff like where I had previously found them!.. maybe none of that mattered and there were simply never any spores distributed there!.. whatever the case it would have been nice to have such an enormous field to search.

Several better looking Farm fields are located in the area but farmers generally don't take kindly to people trespassing so I'm hoping to talk to one of them next time and arrange to let the dogs run in their field if possible! After returning from the fruitless field I discovered my second and final patch. This little patch of approximately 10-15 caps really busted some myths about Semi habitats for me!.. The ditch-like area along the side of the driveway was maybe half a foot in width and covered with previously cut branches & saw dust. I know Semis don't grow on wood debris so I never really questioned that the shavings may have just covered the area after the fact!.. The area was boggy and had alder-like bushes growing in it.. and there in the middle of the moss I saw one!.. Once again I flashed back to being a kid and the "Older Guys" telling me if there's moss you don't find Semi's!.. Up until now that theory had always proven right, but now I had discovered that given the appropriate circumstances on a rare occasion it was possible to find a Semi coming through Moss!

Anyway I think that's all my findings from this trip...No one else seems to have any experiences they want to share... Like I said anything about your hunting experiences, myths whatever... shit even if you just wanna show me some pics with where you're located! lol some feedback of any type would be nice!

--------------------

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sweden Flag
Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: Liberty King]
    #11187465 - 10/05/09 04:42 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Nice photos! Unusual habitat with that long grass.

I almost always find libs together with moss in the grass. But not the same specie as seen in your last photo.

The former cattle field looked great, but it seems like sometimes the perfect habitats are unpopulated, often no shrooms of any kind.

But as you say, cloves are great! And cow pastures rule! (together with places where big lawn mowers mow, golf courses, industry/state property, etc. Good at spreading spores)

Here in Sweden the season is over in the north, they had snow just a few days ago. But in the south it's still good for another few weeks of harvesting. :smile:

Offlinebatheinthefountain
ॐ ॐ ॐ
Male

Loc: Germany
    #11187566 - 10/05/09 05:01 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Liberty King said:
On a recent road trip to an inland area of NS I came across "perfect" Semi specimens in Very tall rank grass... the area which I found them in was always along the right hand side of the trail, which remained shaded longer than other areas of the field thus staying cooler longer! 

The Semi's had exceedingly long stems allowing their perfect creamy colored caps to be easily seen within the long grass. The area had been mowed down towards the end of summer allowing a blanket of decomposing grass near by.. as well as wood chips from a logging area further up the path. The tall shaded grass also remained moist longer after the sun arose!.. I can't help but wonder if the rest of the grass hadn't been cut would it to have created the right habitat for these little monsters as well?... Or were they only favoring that side of the trail due to the cooler temperature & increased moisture?

The former cattle field was grown in with varying levels of grass & shade..in some areas it did have clover grass which we were always told thwarted Semi's (whether or not this is true).. There were also some rooted vegetables of some sort (perhaps beets) growing sporadically throughout the field. I don't know if maybe these vegetables effected the soils pH causing Semi's not to grow? or if possibly because it was a very low lying area instead of on a cliff like where I had previously found them!.. maybe none of that mattered and there were simply never any spores distributed there!.. whatever the case it would have been nice to have such an enormous field to search.

Several better looking Farm fields are located in the area but farmers generally don't take kindly to people trespassing so I'm hoping to talk to one of them next time and arrange to let the dogs run in their field if possible! After returning from the fruitless field I discovered my second and final patch. This little patch of approximately 10-15 caps really busted some myths about Semi habitats for me!.. The ditch-like area along the side of the driveway was maybe half a foot in width and covered with previously cut branches & saw dust. I know Semis don't grow on wood debris so I never really questioned that the shavings may have just covered the area after the fact!.. The area was boggy and had alder-like bushes growing in it.. and there in the middle of the moss I saw one!.. Once again I flashed back to being a kid and the "Older Guys" telling me if there's moss you don't find Semi's!.. Up until now that theory had always proven right, but now I had discovered that given the appropriate circumstances on a rare occasion it was possible to find a Semi coming through Moss!

Anyway I think that's all my findings from this trip...No one else seems to have any experiences they want to share... Like I said anything about your hunting experiences, myths whatever... shit even if you just wanna show me some pics with where you're located! lol some feedback of any type would be nice!

that's just like the fields look like i went hunting to!
but yeah... it's to dry atm :frown:

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: batheinthefountain]
    #11187639 - 10/05/09 05:16 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

It's pouring like all hell here right now. The next weekend seems like the perfect time to go hunting.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11193822 - 10/06/09 03:31 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yup.. It's been really wet here too!.. I figure the initial "Big Wave" is on it's way.. some low over night temps and some moderate daytime sun will hopefully do the trick!... Our season seems shorter over the last few years though.. sometimes we only get that one big rush and then the season is cut short prematurely!.. I can remember coming across patches of 500-600 caps regularly before.. now I'm lucky to see that once or twice a season.. last year 200 in a few hours was my best haul!... Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to hopefully posting a lot more before the seasons through! Also I'm trying to get a better quality camera before they're gone... I'm not overly happy with the picture quality so far!... thanks again and happy hunting!

--------------------

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: knarkkorven]
    #11193954 - 10/06/09 03:51 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah knarkkorven you know!..lol...the lawns of government buildings down where I grew up were usually pretty good along with the newly built Park and Cop Station Lawn... It literally grew thousands... you could see them driving by in a car there were so many!.. They set up cameras to catch us picking so we wore Halloween masks.. They then sprayed the lawn with pesticides without warning anyone and several kids were hospitalized!..FTP!... sorry still a little mad over that one!.. I would love to eventually make a trip to Sweden for the season I think it would be incredible plus I've seen pics of some of the strains there..wow!..I think Scotland and Ireland would be nice to pick as well!.. For some reason around here it seems like the 2nd year after new sods are laid they develop fruit bodies..maybe it they just need to get rooted well?....The Golf courses here must be sprayed or something because we never find any form of Fungi on them. The Graveyards & baseball Fields are the most common areas for pickers here... both are usually mowed at the beginning of the season spreading spores everywhere!... Anyway I'm rambling now but I appreciate your info about over there... Hopefully some day I'll see it first hand... Good Luck Hunting!

--------------------

Offlinebatheinthefountain
ॐ ॐ ॐ
Male

Loc: Germany
    #11194451 - 10/06/09 05:14 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

finaly some rain here too!
i'm excited for the weekend :laugh:
+ we had like tropic conditions here today
very wet, and you could walk around in with a tshirt.

great :smile:

Edited by batheinthefountain (10/06/09 05:18 PM)

Offlinezig-zag420
Stranger

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: batheinthefountain]
    #11194474 - 10/06/09 05:19 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I am in NS too, what part ns are you hunting in, i'v been looking alot  for libs but have had no luck

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

#11194597 - 10/06/09 05:34 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

batheinthefountain where are you located?..

--------------------

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

#11194730 - 10/06/09 05:49 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

zig-zag420 are you picking in areas where you've got them before? It seems like some of the spots around here change every couple years, or Maybe your location just hasn't had the proper conditions yet... I've picked from halifax down as far as Cape Breaton!..After this week should be prime time in a lot of areas!.. Where are you located at?.. also when you do start having luck let me know for sure.. It interests me to know how everyone's season differs!... Good luck hunting!

--------------------

Offlineotispicks
Stranger
Male

Loc: canada Flag
    #11195240 - 10/06/09 07:07 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

those are some good habitat pics, you ever notice that the tall semi's look sort of like a dying dandelion ??? they always suck me in...

--------------------
Seize the carp

Offlinezig-zag420
Stranger

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: otispicks]
    #11195342 - 10/06/09 07:21 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

eh liberty, I am new to this mushroom hunting so i haven't got any spots i call my own. i am located in Dartmouth. This is my first year hunting and i don't know a whole lot but I am learning. I mostly hunt in Dartmouth and Halifax but i often go to Cape Breton i haven't went hunting there but i plan on it.

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: otispicks]
    #11196109 - 10/06/09 09:23 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

otispicks that's hilarious... I fall for that one all the time.. especially the first of the season when I really wanna see one!.. Dying dandelions can look so much like a Semi rising above the rest of the field with a thin stem and Cap-like top!... little white honeysuckles that are starting to wilt brown often fuck with my eyes too... of course sometimes maybe the joints make me overly optimistic in that case lol

--------------------

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: zig-zag420]
    #11196248 - 10/06/09 09:43 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

lol... well "Zag" I searched Dartmouth for the first few years I lived here.. I thought for sure looking at some of the Lawns and other areas that there would be tons.... I dunno if the spores just never got distributed well around here or what but I haven't had the best Luck. I've found random little patches on occasion but when I've returned to those spots following years I've never found more!... Burnside Businesses almost all use lawn companies that use pesticides & even the commons and other areas I thought would be good just never seem to produce them!... Not many people around here even know about Semi's unless they grew up in the sticks... All they seem to know are Cubes and most don't even know much about them...the only "city people" I've heard talk about picking say that back in the day people used to go to Spryfield...I've never tried any spots there as I don't really know any locations to check out!... Good to know there's someone else from Tha Darkside in here though!.. lol..

--------------------

Invisiblesazzelb
Sazzel
Female

#11196915 - 10/06/09 11:24 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

batheinthefountain said:
Quote:

Liberty King said:

that's just like the fields look like i went hunting to!
but yeah... it's to dry atm :frown:

that middle field that you were sure would have libs dont look like the right field to me... too plain. whenever i go lookin for a field i always watch out for one's with the obvious cows and sheep on but with the wild weeds that grow tall in the field like the one's in the pics below. look out for them factors and you'll never pass by another lib field again!

--------------------

Invisiblesazzelb
Sazzel
Female

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: sazzelb]
    #11196922 - 10/06/09 11:25 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineEnvix
swag yolo
 User Gallery

#11197461 - 10/07/09 12:40 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

nice. I have a 4 day weekend coming up and it's been raining for about a week here in central new york, US. I'm hoping to find some of these when I go hunting :]

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

#11198755 - 10/07/09 07:50 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

sazzelb I dunno maybe it's different where you're located but the fields we get them in generally don't have big weeds like those present!.. Quite the opposite here... nicely manicured lawns with a certain type of sod... or average grass fields with patches or "tufts" of tall varying length grass!.... Fields with animals in them are generally awesome but like I said, Trespassing on a farmers property down here can get you a quick introduction to a Shotgun lol.. Here are some pics of the kinds of grass we usually do well in.. My apologies to whomever took the pics I didn't properly catalog them so I can't properly credit them!.. It's just that they are good to describe the areas I mean right now!

--------------------

InvisibleLiberty King
Liberty Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Liberty Cap/P.Semilanceata 2009 Season (In Your Location) [Re: Envix]
    #11198761 - 10/07/09 07:55 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Envix... I've heard good things about hunting in NY.. I realize it's a very big (understatement) area but hopefully you're close to natural Parks or some good fields.... Definately let me know if you're having any luck and what type of habitats your variety favors. Good luck Hunting!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification