Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDarkestone
One of Them
 User Gallery

Loc: On healing wings
Spreading spores.
    #11159347 - 09/30/09 09:09 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

Let's say that someone found a bunch of specimens of an elusive kind of mus hie.  And let's say that that person then wanted to give back to the community by sticking the caps in a bucket of sterile water and swirling them around for a minute then taking that solution and spreading it around the state.  Would this work??

How many minutes would that person swirl the caps for?

Would a small amount of the solution be enough to produce a few mushies which could then produce a few mushies which would produce a few.......?

Let's say it was a wood loving species that also grows in grass which is in new subdivisions, would spraying it in an existing yard do anything?

Would it be better to spray it on a rotting pine, in pine straw covered grass,  or a really thick bed of pine straw? 

Let's say there is a very special water soluble chemical in this hypothetical mushroom,  would this person still be able to extract this chemical from the mushy  after swirling, say with with lemon juice or would they all be trash after being given a swirly?:rolleyes:

I would like to say in advance thanks for all your help, guys.  You are the reason I can give back in the first place.:biggrin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: Spreading spores. [Re: Darkestone]
    #11159447 - 09/30/09 09:20 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

lol.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

OfflineDarkestone
One of Them
 User Gallery

Re: Spreading spores. [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #11159481 - 09/30/09 09:23 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

:paranoid:

OfflineDarkestone
One of Them
 User Gallery

#11159535 - 09/30/09 09:30 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

How do I move this thread.  It should be in cultivation, no?

Invisiblenorthgahunt
Genesis 1:30, 9:3

#11159621 - 09/30/09 09:42 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Darkestone said:
Let's say that someone found a bunch of specimens of an elusive kind of mus hie.  And let's say that that person then wanted to give back to the community by sticking the caps in a bucket of sterile water and swirling them around for a minute then taking that solution and spreading it around the state.  Would this work??

Would a small amount of the solution be enough to produce a few mushies which could then produce a few mushies which would produce a few.......?

Let's say it was a wood loving species that also grows in grass which is in new subdivisions, would spraying it in an existing yard do anything?

Would it be better to spray it on a rotting pine, in pine straw covered grass,  or a really thick bed of pine straw? 

Let's say there is a very special water soluble chemical in this hypothetical mushroom,  would this person still be able to extract this chemical from the mushy  after swirling, say with with lemon juice or would they all be trash after being given a swirly?:rolleyes:

I would like to say in advance thanks for all your help, guys.  You are the reason I can give back in the first place.:biggrin:

I have done this by the buckets full and left the shrooms in it, haven't noticed anything as of yet. I think it will take awhile before anything will take.

OfflineDarkestone
One of Them
 User Gallery

Re: Spreading spores. [Re: northgahunt]
    #11160075 - 09/30/09 10:44 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

Thank you!:biggrin:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #11160153 - 09/30/09 10:57 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

>Let's say that someone found a bunch of specimens of an elusive kind of mus hie.  And let's say that that person then wanted to give back to the community by sticking the caps in a bucket of sterile water and swirling them around for a minute then taking that solution and spreading it around the state.  Would this work??

Yes.  Danny Glick, a member here, has taught us to make spore water from Morels.  He splits the mushrooms in two and rinses them in water.  Then he pours the water where he thinks they will grow.  He used it successfully last year and others have done the same.

>How many minutes would that person swirl the caps for?

That depends on the mushroom.  Morels are ascomycetes and readily give off their spores when you wet them.  Gilled mushrooms, basidiomycetes that are agarics, give off their spores as conditions and maturity permit.  Few are designed to sporulate under water.  If I were going to try your method I would put them in water for a good 5 minutes.

>Would a small amount of the solution be enough to produce a few mushies which could then produce a few mushies which would produce a few.......?

Yes, if conditions were right.

>Let's say it was a wood loving species that also grows in grass which is in new subdivisions, would spraying it in an existing yard do anything?

Possibly, yes.

>Would it be better to spray it on a rotting pine, in pine straw covered grass,  or a really thick bed of pine straw?

Definitely depends on the mushroom.

>Let's say there is a very special water soluble chemical in this hypothetical mushroom,  would this person still be able to extract this chemical from the mushy  after swirling, say with with lemon juice or would they all be trash after being given a swirly?:rolleyes:

So you can trip ballz?  That will not work.  Or at least I can say it didn't work for me.  :laugh:

>Thank you!

You're welcome.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Spreading spores. (moved) [Re: Darkestone]
    #11160429 - 09/30/09 11:40 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

This thread was moved from Mushroom Hunting and Identification.

Reason:
Quote:

Yes.  The way mushrooms work is they put their spores all over everything, hoping a few will land on good substrate.

If you can take some spores and pour them onto a good substrate, you can help them out a lot.

Quote:

I rinse the spores of the gills by holding the caps underwater and rubbing the gills with my finger.  You could also remove the gills and put them in the water.  Or make spore prints and then put the spores from the print into water.

Quote:

If you put them on a good substrate.

Quote:

Maybe.

Quote:

Spray it where ever you find its preferred substrate.

Basically, places in nature where you would expect to find that species, but have not yet.

Quote:

Psilocybin is water soluble, so washing the spores off the mushroom would remove some of that.  Many mushrooms have dark prints on the cap so you can wash that off without too much loss.  Or remove the gills, that is a small percentage of the mass of the mushroom compared to how many spores there are.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Spreading spores. (moved) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11160526 - 09/30/09 11:54 PM (8 years, 24 days ago)

What you're desiring to make is technically called a spore slurry.
You can help the spores move move move along by adding sugar and non-iodized salt to the water. Let the spores (not the actual mushroom though) sit in this broth for up to 2 days (recommended by Stamets) and then spread it somewhere.
Like others said on the desired substrate of the particular mushroom
Sharing the love, I like it. Mycorestoration...possibly :thumbup:

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation