Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejoe Biggs
Male

justice/revenge
    #11158206 - 09/30/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

is justice merely revenge, and vise versa?

are either worthwhile/effective/appropriate? or only self inflicting in the sense that "I am he, As you are he, As you are me, And we are all together."?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmitington
Unidentified Flying Object
Male

Loc: Mushroom Kingdom
Re: justice/revenge [Re: joe Biggs]
    #11158292 - 09/30/09 04:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

they seem quite similiar too me.  Perhaps revenge is what one person does outside of the law to get back, and justice is a sanction determined through legal action to get back.

Sometimes revenge isn't so nessacary, it's likely just going to back fire. 

For instance, one of my past managers has been saying things about me that are untrue and with the intent to destroy some of my relationships, probably because I made her look bad when I quit.  At first I wanted to call the district manager and complain about how inappropriate it was for her to say these things, but after a few days, I realized that if I did such a thing, it would just make her life worse, and she might seek revenge back on me.  She has alot of problems with her personal life and has two kids, so I am able to forgive her, and realize that in time she will see the fault in her ways without me fucking her life up any more.  If anything, I was thinking of doing some anti-revenge, where instead of getting back at her with a negative attack, do something positive for her so that she might "get better".

Sometimes, revenge and justice is the only way to save a person, or other people that may be harmed if the person isn't stopped.  Maybe in that case it's not so much revenge, but containing a threat.

Also, sometimes justice isn't about punishing a person, but making them pay back debts, but is this really justice/revenge, or simply taking back what is yours?

So I guess I believe that justice and revenge purely for the sake of trying to make somebody elses life miserable because they did the same to you, is ultimately ineffective.  We can do better, try to understand your place in why you were wronged in the first place, and try to understand the persons motivations for harming you.  Often times, you will see fault in both of yourselves, and see that love and caring is the best solution.

--------------------

Edited by Smitington (09/30/09 04:40 PM)

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #11158329 - 09/30/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

joe Biggs said:

are either worthwhile/effective/appropriate? or only self inflicting in the sense that "I am he, As you are he, As you are me, And we are all together."?

Quote:

joe Biggs said:

"If you want justice, go to a whorehouse. If you wanna get fucked, go to court."

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Invisibleexplosiveoxygen
Prophet of TGMM

#11160035 - 09/30/09 08:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Same definition and concept. Don't let yourself become a sheep. :nonono:

--------------------
The Great Mycelium (TGMM) is more than you and me, we are all part of One.

OfflinePsychaKif
Tripper
Male

Loc: T.O Canada
Re: justice/revenge [Re: explosiveoxygen]
    #11164463 - 10/01/09 03:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Although justice is technically the "honorable" path between itself and revenge, revenge is always sweeter. Seeing as were all miserably flawed, it takes an uncorrupt soul, like Smitington, to escape the lure of the instant gratification of revenge and opt instead for justice and/or no action at all. Like Smit said, revenge is often done in order to bring a negative upon someone else. And as we all know pretty well, we have enough negative everywhere, and sometimes you dont know what the other person has suffered through/how mentally sane they are :wink: Honestly though, I think the only people who know how to serve true justice are superheroes. And we know how realistic they are... So I guess as humans we're doomed for revenge.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #11164499 - 10/01/09 03:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Justice is not revenge.  Justice is balance.  That's why it's visually represented as scales.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order