Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerico357
journeyman

my first grow. please review this method
    #1114625 - 12/05/02 04:27 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ok now that I have learned that the spores should be somewhat viable, I will continue with my grow.
I am going to outline my tek below in the hopes that noone has to make any changes.  :wink: :cool:

1. first I will knock 4 hole in the lids of each jar (the same side as the rubber seal)
2. as directed by the MMGG v 3.2, I will prepare the substrate (2/3 cup verm [medium sized], ? - 3/8 cup brf [ground from actual brown rice in a coffee grinder], and ? cup bottled water for each ? pint jar used (inoculating 12 jars) in a large mixing bowl.
3. then I will fill each jar with substrate, very loosely to within ? inch of the top of the jar.
4. wipe the top ? inch of the jar so that no wet substrate is left. Fill it the rest of the way with dry verm. Put the lids on each jar (with the rubber seal up)
5. because of the lack of a pressure cooker, I will steralize in a large pot with a lid. Wrap aluminum foil around the top of the jars. A washcloth will be place on the bottom. Jars put in so as not to touch the edge of the pot, fill the pot with water till about half-way of the jars.
6. bring the water to a slow boil, and place the lid on the pot. I will leave these jars in the pot on a slow boil for 1 ? hours.
7. this will be allowed to cool until at room temp. (does this seem to be good enough sterilization? I sure hope so)
8. I will steralize the syringes with an alcohol burn. (turning a shot glass upside down and some tolulene in the little dip. Light this on fire and steralize the needle of the syringe)
9. then I will inoculate the jars with Cambodian strain cubensis as prescribed in the MMGG.
10. these jars will be put in an incubating chamber at 79 degrees F. for 8 days before even being checked on. Once colonization starts to slow, the jars will be inverted. After complete colonization 4 additional days will be allowed.

This is the beginning, after this has been reviewed, I will post more. Typing just a little at a time, it?s easier on the eyes. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: my first grow. please review this method [Re: rico357]
    #1114667 - 12/05/02 04:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds pretty good.

I didn't fully understand step 8, please explain this for us slow learners. :smile:

I've always used different ratios of verm/brf/water (2:1:1)

If you can up the temps slightly for incubation, at least into the lower 80s, I keep mine at 85. 

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1114674 - 12/05/02 04:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

> 7. this will be allowed to cool until at room temp. (does this seem to be good enough sterilization? I sure hope so)

Of course, I used the same method. No contamination.

Also, when you are innoculating I suggest you use Captain's oven tek.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Offlinec0ma
the pimp

#1114675 - 12/05/02 04:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

everything sounds perfect :smile: good luck and remember don't get too impatient and start messing with your jars like i did, becouse of my impations i lost couple of my jars which were doing so good and i thought they were contramed couse i was checking these forums every 2 seconds all the failure posts got me too paranoid :smile:

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: my first grow. please review this method [Re: c0ma]
    #1114690 - 12/05/02 04:50 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

This will work out fine for a first grow.

Offlinerico357
journeyman

#1114728 - 12/05/02 05:04 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

11. after complete colonization of the brf/verm cakes, I will dump the cakes out into a large ziplock bag.
12. the cake will be crumbled to pieces similar in size to the top to a 20 oz. Bottled drink. (I am from the US. If it makes any diff.)
13. a casing will be prepared before hand in small ?take-out? style dinner plates from a restaurant (about 8 ?? x 6?. With solid black bottom. About 2 inches tall)
14. vermiculite will be placed in a cake pan and placed in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes to steralize it. Upon opening the oven the bottom tray will be pulled out and distilled water will be added the the verm, (after it has cooled a little). Because of the lack of a flowhood (partially due to my laziness, but also b/c I?ve come to understand that the oven tek is satisfactory for keeping out airborne contams for short periods of time), I will use the oven tek for all transfers and mixings.
15. this verm will be mixed with distilled water as described in the ?50/50 (PLUS) Casing Tek? and placed in the bottom of sterilized containers (take-out plates) immediately being covered by seran wrap.
16. while the bottom layers are being prepared and wrapped in seran wrap. I will have the top layer of the casing prepared. 50/50 peat moss/verm. This will also be sterilized/pasteurized. The mixture will be placed in an old pillow case and boiled in a pot of water at 150 degrees F for one hour.
17. after the top and bottom layers are prepared, the crumled cakes (one per take-out plate) will be placed in the take-out plates and leveled as best they can be (surgical gloves will be used during this process, as well as being in front of the oven) [I know that some may say that the gloves, as well as other precautions taken may be un-necessary, I am very afraid of contams].
18. the 50/50 mix will be taken out of the pillow case and squeezed of any extra water (until it is barely barely dripping) and will be placed on top of the crumbled cakes about ? - ? of an inch. (again, all of this comes from the 50/50 plus casing tek found at the shroomery)

more to come, if you?ll don?t mind reading it.

in reply to skikid about step 8:
i have found somewhere in here that the butane from lighters has a very small chance of contaminating the needle. i don't know if there is any truth to this but it does seem that heating the needle with, say, a bic lighter, that the black stuff left on it may not be good. as for the toluene, it is a very powerful solvent that was purchased for another endeavor (i never actually attempted it, but if your curious, visit "the hive"). i actually read that the person used rubbing alcohol, but toluene/toluol is purer. perhaps, instead of using a shotglass, a spoon or something like that could work just as well. i don't know, b/c i have not tried any of this.

thanks for the temp advice, it will be edited in my copy that i am keeping.

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: my first grow. please review this method [Re: TinMan]
    #1114729 - 12/05/02 05:05 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

IMO I would make that brf 1/4 cup. It works. :grin:

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlinerico357
journeyman

#1114730 - 12/05/02 05:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

skikid,
as for the ratio of brf/verm and water. this is what i read in the MMGG. does the 2:1:1 ratio work better?

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1114741 - 12/05/02 05:09 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I followed the MMGG and my jars took forever. Next set I made follwing the 1:1:2 and those puppies are flying. Also swivel the syringe when injecting spores to cover more area. I didn't read the whole thing but 5 hole innoculation helps too.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Edited by thisone (12/05/02 05:10 PM)

OfflineMister Black
smokes pot

#1114746 - 12/05/02 05:10 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Two things about what I know:

Coffee-ground brown rice is excellent. It's not millet, but I've had much faster colonization with ground rice as opposed to BRF. Create a variety of textures, from fine powdery to chunks.

-and-

You can use the alcohol (or whatever) flame sterilization with any (glass) object with a little dimple for a small amount of fluid. I don't have any shot glasses, but the bottom of an inverted wine glass proved useful.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1114752 - 12/05/02 05:13 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've never used the ratio that you mentioned, that's all.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: my first grow. please review this method [Re: Skikid16]
    #1114764 - 12/05/02 05:18 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'm saying the one you mentioned is the best. :grin:

--------------------

Offlinerico357
journeyman

#1114801 - 12/05/02 05:38 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

19. a fruiting chamber will be prepared also.
20. I will use a large Rubbermaid container. In the bottom of the container I will put perlite to a height of 2 inches. Water will be added to a level of about 1-1 ? inches. A hole will be cut in the top side of the container with a computer fan glued to it, blowing in. on the outside of the container a two-liter bottle (with the bottom cut out in a str8 line) will be glued/siliconed around the outside of the fan. Polyfill will be clogged in the opening to filter contams. The same set-up (two-liter bottle) will be applied to the inside of the container. Small holes will be drilled/punched (no bigger than 1/8?) in the bottom of the container, ?? above the perlite (for CO2 escape). 2 holes on the long sides of the container and one on each short side (is that too many holes?). each hole will be clogged with polyfill. the top of the container will be wrapped in saran wrap, sealed tightly. The fan will be on a timer that runs at its?s minimum time for 15 minutes. It will come on every three hours. Light will be kept off of the casings for about 7 days until mycelium overtakes the casing layer. 50/50 mix will be added (very lightly) over the first high-spots. (does anyone have a suggestion for a more permanent top that can be removed easily and place back on easily that won?t allow contams to enter. Other than the original top that came with it?). oh yes, the container will be non-transparent.
21. within 10-17 days (ideally) pinning will start. I will not be misting unless the perlite looks really dry. The humidity should be within the acceptable range of 82-92 %.
22. mushroom formation will occur within 21 days after casing (again, ideally)
23. harvesting of mushrooms should occur just after the veil breaks, and all mushrooms should be harvested within 24 hours.
24. after a harvest, a thin layer of 50/50 casing layer should be placed where mushrooms were removed (of course it will be sterilized) to prepare for successive flushes.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds