Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Re: Math Question [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #11141978 - 09/28/09 06:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks.

I just realized that the homework I was doing isn't due until Wednesday. That explains why the first half of the homework I did easily since we've gone over it in class.

The second half of the homework that I needed help on are sections we haven't went over in class yet. Doh!!

At least now I know the easy way to do it.

Thanks again everyone!

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepurified
Stranger
    #11141993 - 09/28/09 06:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

isnt that 6th grade math? I thought you have to be 18 to join these forums

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Math Question [Re: purified]
    #11141996 - 09/28/09 06:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why would you insult someone when they're asking for help?

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11142018 - 09/28/09 06:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

purified said:
isnt that 6th grade math? I thought you have to be 18 to join these forums

This is, on average, taught during high school (9th-12th). Since I graduated high school around 5 years ago I have to retake Algebra in college to ensure I can do well in Statistics and Trig.

I've been here for 4 years. If I was underage someone would have noticed by now.

Your comment is quite laughable since its coming from someone who just recently learned to do the PF Tek. You never capitalize the first letter of your sentences.

Didn't they teach you the proper way to write in first and second grade?:rolleyes:

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Offlinepurified
Stranger
    #11142162 - 09/28/09 07:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

most schools teach beginning algebra in 6th/7th grade (like the type of problem you linked) so I just kind of figured you were under 18..also trig and stats is still grade school classes brah....no disrespect

and are you actually compairing the knowledge of cultivating an illegal substance against 6th grade math? wow lol like thats something to be proud of

when writing on the internet there is a difference between not caring and not knowing about grammar.

anyway a persons real intellect shows its true value in mathematics and physics not english or grammar. /thread

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11143729 - 09/28/09 01:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

purified said:
most schools teach beginning algebra in 6th/7th grade (like the type of problem you linked) so I just kind of figured you were under 18..also trig and stats is still grade school classes brah....no disrespect

I took algebra 2 in 10th grade. That was 7 years ago. I'm not 18, just out of high school like you probably are. I'm 23, I need a refresher course.

Statistics in Computational Biology is not grade school....brah.

The equations I posted were taught in 9th grade in my school. Pre-algebra is taught in 7th/8th on average and the problem I posted isn't pre-algebra.

A lot of people take algebra in college so get off your high horse.

Quote:

purified said:
are you actually compairing the knowledge of cultivating an illegal substance against 6th grade math? wow lol like thats something to be proud of

I'm comparing the knowledge of cultivating any fungi, whether its an edible or hallucinogenic is irrelevant. Simply comparing knowledge to knowledge.

Until 3 months ago you didn't know the difference between a PC ( pressure cooker) and a pot of water, so don't act like your superior in any way.

Can you use fire to boil water? That's pretty common sense to me.

Quote:

purified said:
anyway a persons real intellect shows its true value in mathematics and physics not english or grammar. /thread

Yea, right. :rolleyes:

A biologist relies solely on math and physics eh? Or perhaps a doctor?

I'm a biology major, I don't need an advanced knowledge of physics to achieve my goals.

--------------------

OfflineAmani77
Stranger
    #11145998 - 09/28/09 07:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You can also look into a method called cross multiplying.

Its when you take the numerators of one fraction and multiply it by the opposite corresponding denominator. For example:

(1/2) = (x/4)

(1)(4) = (2)(x)
  (4)  =  (2x)
  (2)  =  (x)

makes monotonous problems a bit simpler.

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Math Question [Re: Amani77]
    #11147912 - 09/29/09 12:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

meinert said:
haha everyone is makeing this harder than it has to be..
just cross multiply..basically what everyone is saying..just a different way to put it..

you multiply the top of 1st fraction with bottom of 2nd fraction and then multiply the bottom of the 1st fraction with the top of the 2nd..

3*(2(5a-7))=4*(9(a-1))

now solve..

Quote:

Amani77 said:
You can also look into a method called cross multiplying.

Its when you take the numerators of one fraction and multiply it by the opposite corresponding denominator. For example:

(1/2) = (x/4)

(1)(4) = (2)(x)
  (4)  =  (2x)
  (2)  =  (x)

makes monotonous problems a bit simpler.

That's exactly what Dynoo told me to do, though he didn't specifically call it cross multiplying. Thanks for the input though. After doing a few of the problems and looking through the book most of the stuff has come back to me. I've already got the next 4 weeks worth of lessons done. I'm glad I took this refresher course before getting into my computational classes.

--------------------

Offlinepurified
Stranger
    #11148166 - 09/29/09 01:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I took algebra 2 in 10th grade. That was 7 years ago. I'm not 18, just out of high school like you probably are. I'm 23, I need a refresher course.

Statistics in Computational Biology is not grade school....brah.

if you took algebra before you prob could just have bought some books, spent 1 week "refreshing" your memory and you would have been good instead of wasting 1 semester and $800 on a devemental class thats not even worth any credits. 

Also i said statistics is taught in grade school as a math elective not statistics in computational biology.

Quote:

The equations I posted were taught in 9th grade in my school. Pre-algebra is taught in 7th/8th on average and the problem I posted isn't pre-algebra.

idk where you went to school but i was taught basic order of operations/diving fractions in 6th maybe 7th grade

Quote:

purified said:
are you actually comparing the knowledge of cultivating an illegal substance against 6th grade math? wow lol like thats something to be proud of

Quote:

I'm comparing the knowledge of cultivating any fungi, whether its an edible or hallucinogenic is irrelevant. Simply comparing knowledge to knowledge.

the point i was trying to make was you were comparing knowledge of an illegal hobby that isnt taught in any schools against knowledge that everybody should know.

Quote:

Yea, right. :rolleyes:

A biologist relies solely on math and physics eh? Or perhaps a doctor?

I'm a biology major, I don't need an advanced knowledge of physics to achieve my goals.

Biologist and doctors wouldnt have half the tools or equipment they use today if it wasnt for math/physics.

Infact without math/physics we wouldnt have ANY of the things we have today. MUCH MUCH MUCH more important than english or grammar in sentences

advanced math is really important for doctors lol.... take for exmaple what if they wanted to find the optimal branching angle of a blood vessel so they could achieve maximize flow? 

Unless your going to medical school or becomming a teacher biology majors are pretty much a joke and there is no jobs......in terms of using a college degree to its full potentinal biology is right behind english and history majors

Quote:

Until 3 months ago you didn't know the difference between a PC ( pressure cooker) and a pot of water, so don't act like your superior in any way.

i simply asked if i could use a grill efficiently to boil water for jars because my oven was broken.  which btw didnt work to well it took 1 hour for the water to reach a boil and used an entire tank of propane.

i didnt know what a pressure cooker was yeah i dont spent much time in the kitchen cooking or baking unless its microwave. I tend to leave the cooking/baking to women

Edited by purified (09/29/09 04:05 AM)

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #11148187 - 09/29/09 02:05 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:werd:

This isn't difficult math by any means. If you either (a) graduated middle school, or (b) know how to add, substract, and multiply, you should have no trouble solving equations of this type.

The fact that they teach this stuff in college is a testament to the piss-poor state of the american education system. I remember learning this stuff in 5th grade.

Just :2cents:

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11148325 - 09/29/09 02:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You sound like an idiot

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Math Question [Re: blewmeanie]
    #11158223 - 09/30/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

purified said:
if you took algebra before you prob could just have bought some books, spent 1 week "refreshing" your memory and you would have been good instead of wasting 1 semester and $800 on a devemental class thats not even worth any credits.

Also i said statistics is taught in grade school as a math elective not statistics in computational biology.

I could have done what you said but I feel I'll get more out of it by actually taking the class. Its only a 3 month investment for me, we go on a quarter system not semester. It only cost me $400 including books and it is worth credit. The credit I get from this class and my other math classes will ensure I won't have to retake any math when I transfer to my 4-year university. By the end of this school year I'll be up to calc level classes if I decide to take them.

You implied I had to take statistics, I was clarifying to you that my stats class was a computational class.

Quote:

purified said:
the point i was trying to make was you were comparing knowledge of an illegal hobby that isnt taught in any schools against knowledge that everybody should know.

How many types of volcanoes are there? How many types of clouds are there? These are things I learned in middle school and you probably did too in some form of science class. Can you answer them without looking them up? I doubt you can. Everyone should know this info because it was taught in grade school right? I haven't been using algebra in my jobs up until now. Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing is all I've needed to use.

Quote:

purified said:
Unless your going to medical school or becomming a teacher biology majors are pretty much a joke and there is no jobs......in terms of using a college degree to its full potentinal biology is right behind english and history majors

Tell that to all of the biotech companies throughout the world. There's tons of jobs in research and development in the pharm industry. Your view of biology is very limited.

Quote:

Entropymancer said:
:werd:

This isn't difficult math by any means. If you either (a) graduated middle school, or (b) know how to add, substract, and multiply, you should have no trouble solving equations of this type.

The fact that they teach this stuff in college is a testament to the piss-poor state of the american education system. I remember learning this stuff in 5th grade.

Just :2cents:

Wow, how the fuck did you become a moderator? Insulting someone who asked a simple question. I'm sure your shit must smell like roses too, eh?

So people who haven't been to school in awhile and need to refresh their math skills or even learn them for the first time should be fucked out of an education?

Not everyone has the same strong points. I can read almost anything and remember it years later. Math just seems to be one of the things that I tend to forget if I don't use it from time to time.

You're a joke.

--------------------

Edited by BlimeyGrimey (09/30/09 04:34 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate