Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
A little Rilke
    #1113293 - 12/05/02 12:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"Is it possible that there are people who say 'God' and suppose that this is something one can have in common?? Just look at two school children: one of them buys a knife, and his neighbor buys one just like it, on the very same day. And a week later they compare their two knives, and by now they are barely similar: so differently have they developed in different hands. (Sure, says the mother of one boy, if you always get everything to look used right away!) I see: Is it possible to believe that one can have a god without using him?"

I like this... even though I'm an agnostic.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: A little Rilke [Re: Sclorch]
    #1114699 - 12/05/02 06:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What does that quote acutally mean? that god is just something other people copy to make them feel at home? if so, I believe that quote. People now aday just go to church to fit in. Look at all the Youth Groups that are going on ski trips and shit. They are just trying to bribe kids into there church. I think that is completely and totally EVIL!

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1116838 - 12/06/02 12:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This is a great thought . I do not believe that we all can experience the same 'reality' much less the 'same' God.Even if the concept of "God" were a universal absolute(I do not believe in absolutes) How can we all interpret a fundamentaly intangible concept in the same fashion?I personaly believe in the concept of an intelligentl( but not personified) guided reality but to expect others to form identical concepts of my interpretation is the hieght of egotism,eh? As for your last query
Quote:

Is it possible to believe that one can have a god without using him?"

.I have to say that I fall into this category I strongly believe in an intelligence of creative(grand scale)purpose guiding the path of reality,however I do not use this "God" I rather use my Faith in it's existance as proof of the power creative thought can exert over material reality.So I have to honestly ask 'am I using 'God' or "faith"?I think faith but I have not actually looked at it from that perspective of which "tool" do I use.But i think since I use no mystical invocations besides simple faith that Intelligent Information is the structure from which reality arises from chaos.I posess a miniscule amount of Intelligent Information therfore I have a miniscule affect on that structure,enough to craft an existance and form some material foundation in which I exist :tongue:WR

--------------------
To old for this place

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A little Rilke [Re: whiterasta]
    #1117099 - 12/06/02 01:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The quote is Rilke, not me.

So... I don't know why you have to use the word "tool"- unless you are trying to refute the quote with a negative connotation- are you?

For someone who "doesn't believe in absolutes"... I figured you would have a more pragmatic (Ooo... I hope this isn't a dirty word to you) outlook on faith and religion. Out of curiousity, what do you think of Kierkegaard's concept of faith?

--------------------

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1117617 - 12/06/02 04:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No inuendo in the usage of "tool" the quotes were to indicate metaphor/loss for words.As for Kierkegaard,he was a man of faith yet he seemed to wear his faith as a burden and was somewhat preocupied with pious suffering.I have only what a few philosophy classes have taught, and my own interpretation is based on less info than I would use in general.However My opinion of Kierkegaard is,while brilliant,his emotional reaction to the social/religious climate of the time definately colors much of his work.His progressivly critical writings regarding a generaly respected clergyman reflect his distaste for "impossible"dogma and his reaction to this mans even more dogmatic successor indicates to me that had grown to dislike "christianity"as manifested by the "church". However I believe he retained faith in a benevolent creator as an extension of his respect for his father who he adored.As I have stated before I find many of the "modern" european philosophers work to be colored by the social climate of the times they were in.Additionaly advanced philosophical thought IMHO must be accompanied by strict mental discipline such as Zen meditation to retain the calm retreat from emotional response which philosophical logic needs to be accurate.Constant DEEP introspective thought can lead to alienation/disassociation from those less introspective bent.Hence the eastern monastic philosophers in many ways are much more congruent with my own world view than the self tortured europeans :tongue: Shit Schlorch what is this mid terms?  :grin: As for my views on faith they have yet to be published although I will say that on a daily level I am the ultimate pragmatist,(the Newtonian WR :grin:)but I am much more than my daily "routine"existence, and on the levels of experience which transcend the routine material existence I am a man with great faith that a greater Intelligence with Intent is responsible for the fundament of reality(the quantum WR :grin:) I guess the best way to put it is on the level I deal with on a daily basis I make my own destiny.On the higher level in which I experience deep thought I believe in a greater "mind/intelligence/intent which gives my experience order and structure.A template if you will, by which I build the consensual reality we all share :tongue: Phew now my brain hutrs :wink: WR :grin:

--------------------
To old for this place

Anonymous

#1117657 - 12/06/02 04:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Don't let your brain hurt. Thinking is good and I REALLY enjoying reading a well written response like that.

"Additionaly advanced philosophical thought IMHO must be accompanied by strict mental discipline such as Zen meditation to retain the calm retreat from emotional response which philosophical logic needs to be accurate."

Or it can be used as a hiding place in order to shield oneself away from the stark reality that confronts us.

"Hence the eastern monastic philosophers in many ways are much more congruent with my own world view than the self tortured europeans"

Not surprising as they hvae chosen a path that relies on psychological comfort more than it does on truth.

Nice description of K. though. Sounds like you've read about him but how much have you read by him?

Favorite book by him?

Cheers,

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1121460 - 12/08/02 04:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm... yup... sort of...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology