Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinediscovery
Stranger
 User Gallery

Beginner Cultivation
    #11117466 - 09/24/09 03:56 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hey!

I am going to attempt my first cultivation soon.
I'm almost done with preparation:

I am goint to use a substrate of Vermiculite/Rice Flour/Water and add a bit of perlite (about 1/10) and some soaked wheat (1/10) to increase growth.

Q: is white bio-rice flour ok? because its the best thing i could get in germany. (its not that asia flour - its eco/bio full grain rice flour)

I ordered a syringe of 10ml soluted spores of Hawaiian Cubensis.

After Mycelium growth will be finished, I am going to use my home made box for the fruiting:

A  40cm x 25cm x 29cm  Transparent box (for 4 cakes at a time)

Humidity: I am going to fill the floor with perlite and soak it with water. I will be monitoring and adjusting the humidity to 95-99% at all the time.

Temperature: I am still not sure what to do about this. I live in germany and since temperatures aren't that high I will need a heater.
I searched a lot and the only heaters that come with reveler included are for aquariums.
A heating pillow is not that good beacuase my box is of plastic, right? besides this i would have to buy a reveler apart and set it all up, etc.
Do you have any recommendations regarding this?

Air flow:
I plan to cut holes in the top of the box and glue on some coffee filters. that doesn't cause air to circulate, so im still gonna need a pump(?). maybe any tips on that (pref. cheap)? Isn't there a possibility to have one gadget CIRCULATE/REVEAL-HEAT the air inside?

thank you for answers! :smile:

all Q's:

-is biological WHITE rice flour gonna work?
-revealed heating solution?
-Air flow solution?

-maybe merge last 2 points??

Have a nice day!

peace,
Discovery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMLBjammer
Invitro Freak
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Beginner Cultivation [Re: discovery]
    #11117606 - 09/24/09 05:23 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That flour will work.  Long grain brown rice ground into a chunky flour would work better. 

As far as heaters and air pumps, look at aquarium supplies.  As far as heat, as long as you are at comfortable human heat levels, the cubensis will grow, albeit a bit slower.

With perlite, you want to soak with water in a strainer and then dump into your container.  About 2 to 3 inches of moistened perlite will maintain your RH.  Don't leave standing water in your fruiting chamber--will lead to contams.  You can also add some salt to your perlite when hydrating--salt kills any contam.

Instead of holes in your lid, you could make a shotgun FC--many tiny open holes.  And don't use coffee filters--they will rot.  Use polyfill (toy/pillow stuffing), tyvek (kite material), or micropore (breathable medical) tape for filter material.

OfflineAimemailadress
Insight Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the Lions
    #11117611 - 09/24/09 05:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

-is biological WHITE rice flour gonna work?
-revealed heating solution?
-Air flow solution?

k never use white flour!! its been treated, might have been grown bio friendly but still treated to make it white all the same, if need by take brown rice and blend it, to make flour

heating solution: for incubation some guys use two tubes one inside of the other, the bottom containing water(sometimes has bleach or h2o2 in it as well) as well as an aquarium heater, the heater heats the water thus increasing the heat inside the tube where your jars are, you could try this for heat...

and lastly your FAE(free air exchange) question, what most people do is pop holes in the side then fill them with poly fill as to filter the air coming into the chamber, sixe of the holes differ greatly, but ill tell you what check up on this link some of the stuff here will blow your mind

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11117532/vc/1#11117532

Happy growing
-aimemailadress

Offlineratatonic30
Noobie McNub
Male

Loc: Indianapolis
    #11117749 - 09/24/09 07:22 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I can't comment on the first question but for the second and third, I would suggest the KISS approach. That's "Keep It Simple Stupid" for our European members. There's really no need to go above room temperature when fruiting. Check out part 3 of this tek for how to build a fool proof, low maintenance fruiting chamber. Good luck.

Also, see this and this to better understand how and why this tek works.

--------------------
Existence always has an Order, called Chaos when incompatible with a chosen good. ~ Some philosopher dude

Edited by ratatonic30 (09/24/09 07:28 AM)

Invisibleck5
Student

Re: Beginner Cultivation [Re: Aimemailadress]
    #11117767 - 09/24/09 07:29 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Aimemailadress said:

heating solution: for incubation some guys use two tubes one inside of the other, the bottom containing water(sometimes has bleach or h2o2 in it as well) as well as an aquarium heater, the heater heats the water thus increasing the heat inside the tube where your jars are, you could try this for heat...

IME "Incubation" should be done at room temp.  Anything higher and you will likely start seeing contams at greater frequency.

I have also never added perlite to my jars.  This doesn't seem to be adding anything positive to the grow.  The verm that you put in will give the moisture regulation you are after.  Use perlite at the bottom of your FC.

Edited by ck5 (09/24/09 07:31 AM)

OfflineJockin John C
Trip Trappen
Male User Gallery

Loc: outsideinsideout
Re: Beginner Cultivation [Re: ck5]
    #11117780 - 09/24/09 07:33 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

just keep it sterile and you should be cool :thumbup: cakes aren't to hard as long as you follow the directions you go by to a t.  Avoid shortcuts, you will always end up kicking yourself in the ass in the end if you don't.  Best of luck dude.

:peace:

Edited by Jockin John C (09/24/09 07:33 AM)

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11117987 - 09/24/09 08:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

discovery said:
Hey!

I am going to attempt my first cultivation soon.
I'm almost done with preparation:

I am goint to use a substrate of Vermiculite/Rice Flour/Water and add a bit of perlite (about 1/10) and some soaked wheat (1/10) to increase growth.

Q: is white bio-rice flour ok? because its the best thing i could get in germany. (its not that asia flour - its eco/bio full grain rice flour)

Do not change the recipe, it will not improve results. Especially those two ingredients.

Perlite will give no positive effects and reduce the water retaining capabilities of the substrate.

Wheat will increase the risk of contamination if you do not use a pressure cooker to sterilice.

If you want to increase performance substitute the brown rice for rice bran (Kleie).

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinediscovery
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Beginner Cultivation [Re: Nibin]
    #11120048 - 09/24/09 03:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Guys!

ok... i just bought an aquarium heater.
higher temperature increases grow speed.
ideal temp is 86°F isnt it?

so the only thing left is that i had 2 answers about the rice flour issue and they both said something different :wink:

so who`s right? ;D

peace,
Discovery

Invisibleck5
Student

#11120062 - 09/24/09 03:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

discovery said:

ideal temp is 86�F isnt it?

For contams..yes it is

I'd incubate at room temp, 76 or so

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: Beginner Cultivation [Re: ck5]
    #11120082 - 09/24/09 03:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

75 and i wouldn't go more than 82 max but it dosent enven need that

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

Offlinediscovery
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11120096 - 09/24/09 03:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

ok then im gonna go for 77°F :thumbup:
thanks!

Offlinediscovery
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11123754 - 09/25/09 04:04 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yea!

my rice four just arrived... it did not say "white" so i just assumed it was. but as i looked at it it was not really white. so i am happy to say that i got brown rice flour :laugh:

now i just wait for all the other parts to arrive.

i also bought a small 230V ventilator for 10 bucks.
i am planning to cut a bigger hole at one side of my case and tape it with micropore. then screw the ventilator in so he presses the air through the tape inside the box. the "old" air can flow through the smaller holes in the top of the box. i thought about time shifting my ventilator, so he only pumps every 2 hours or so for about 5 mins.

when everything is set i am gonna open a documentation thread with pictures so you can see.

have a great day,

Discovery :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale