Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Loc: Texas
Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn
    #11122229 - 09/24/09 09:55 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So i know this section is for "laid back" discussions, but I thought this would be interesting due to the subject of this forum.

My question is...what is your religious stand point and why(if you feel like saying why)?

I ask this with an open mind knowing that yall will have the same type of open-mindedness.

I'll go first.

I am Buddhist.  I actually practice this as well.  But obviously not a monk lol

The reason why I am is simple.  To me it makes sense.  One it is not so much of a religion but more so a way of life.  I will never say if there is or if there isnt anything (ghosts, higher being, creator, etc.)

I feel it is irrelevant for I can not control if there is or is not.  I focus on keeping my mind free and clear of anger and attachment, aswell as having love and compassion for all things.

How life started I will never know, nor have a full hard headed opinion in the matter.  Who says the big bang didnt happen, who says it wasnt a creator making the big bang happen.  I figure it is best not to plague my mind over such things and instead, lead a good life.

Anyways enough of me....how about you?

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.
"You cant stretch nature, give it time, it will come.  Be patient."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinenIkkNAME
This is my Title.
Male

Loc: Tacoma WA
Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: RyeH]
    #11122288 - 09/24/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I want to be Buddhist.. I'm so busy to practice it though..

--------------------
I had something in mind to place here.
Too bad i forgot what it was.

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
    #11122290 - 09/24/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i find it funny that most of the hippies who convert to buddhism don't have any idea what it really is about. they just like the spiritual aspect and want to sound cool.

i am glad you've found something that makes you happy though :sun:

Invisibleblkjkrabbit

Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: JT]
    #11122353 - 09/24/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i'm a patchwork of ideologies. generally leaning more towards stoic asceticism & buddhism in name but..celebrating life, nature, peace, and happiness in practice. i like terrence mckennas much older notion of direct experience over dogmatic metaphysical notions..my own archaic revival perhaps.

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: JT]
    #11122379 - 09/24/09 10:11 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JT said:
i find it funny that most of the hippies who convert to buddhism don't have any idea what it really is about. they just like the spiritual aspect and want to sound cool.

i am glad you've found something that makes you happy though :sun:

Im curious what it is that you meant by that.  And what you think it means.  To be honest, my post does not in anyway, really explain what I think Buddhism means, just the reasons why I originally started looking into it.  Of course by this amount of time after taking refuge and the many many Dhamma talks, my reasons to continue on this path are a bit different.

In other words, what I said was to state what originally brought me to Buddhism. Not why I continue on to this day. (Hope this made sense lol)

PS. Im no hippie :tongue:

Edited by RyeH (09/24/09 10:13 PM)

Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: JT]
    #11122397 - 09/24/09 10:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: dr_gonz]
    #11122469 - 09/24/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i have my own belief system.  the places i navigate to most often and find to be the most beautifully constructed are:

taoism
Krishna
Judaism
secular humanism
cynicism and nihilism
rational skepticism
various new age
chaos magic
technological singularity-ism (the mystical end result of evolution. purpose being given to a physical and deterministic world.)
yoga

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
    #11122520 - 09/24/09 10:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dr_gonz said:
Quote:

JT said:
i find it funny that most of the hippies who convert to buddhism don't have any idea what it really is about.

elaborate on that generalization, kind sir

ok, i guess i should phrase it like this: buddhism is the go-to "religion" of yuppies and new-age hipsters during their rebel years. in my personal experience i have met quite a few people who claimed to be buddhist...but all it really boiled down to was burning incense and trying to meditate when they were really stoned. oh and decorating their rooms with those mini buddha figurines.

i'm not saying the OP is one of these. he sounds like he actually practices, which is pretty cool.

Offlinefeifen

Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: truekimbo2]
    #11122524 - 09/24/09 10:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Religion is a sham.

All religion is man-made

If you can trust the majority of mankind I pity you.

That being said I believe everything is connected to each other in one way or the other. Do I believe there is a god? Who knows. You are fooling yourself to believe there is, as well as there isn't, it is wasted time to think whether there is or isn't but rather focusing on the POSSIBILITIES and within that living a good life.

It's all wasted time practicing something. If you cannot find your beliefs from within than you are just another puppeteer to religion.

But this is all in my opinion and should not matter to anyone here

Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: JT]
    #11122548 - 09/24/09 10:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: feifen]
    #11122599 - 09/24/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

wow didnt expect this many posts! :laugh:

Well one thing to say for my self to JT,  Actually my rebel phase was Wicca, that was many years ago.  I could go on about what Buddhism is really about, but as anyone would know I would leave this off topic.  But if you want me to PM me lol

But eitherway, thanks for the post guys keep em coming!  Its really cool to see all the different opinions/beliefs

Sorry this kind of stuff always has intrigued me

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.

InvisibleGetafixx
NotaRoman
Male User Gallery

Loc: 2nd Continent on the Left
    #11122650 - 09/24/09 10:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think everyone should treat one another in a Christian manner. I will not, however, be responsible for the consequences.

~UBUNTU~ for the world!

--------------------
Procrastination is like masturbation, when you look at the job in hand you are actually screwing yourself.

InvisibleKnowl3dge
Stranger the better
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The great state of @#%^&
Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: Getafixx]
    #11122680 - 09/24/09 10:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

To each there own. Just don't push it on me. Druid/Agnostic

--------------------

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

#11122687 - 09/24/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dr_gonz said:
nam myoho renge kyo

Thats the lotus sutra chant, nice..

Getafixx - Honestly, with how the Bible says things like "Love thy neighbor" and "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you"
I do agree with your statement

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.

Offlinebryguy
Enigma
 User Gallery

Loc: ooo
    #11122743 - 09/24/09 11:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm fundamentally a Nihilist, that is, that although 'God' may exist, he may just as well be an even higher being's illusion himself, and so on, until all of existence eventually amounts to nothing. Ultimately, all of existence is just an illusion, however...

I think that on the scale that we perceive things, as well as on any scale for beings at higher or lower levels than ourselves, we can and should develop functional models for reality. The most solid model we currently have available is science, but the bravest is probably philosophy/religion. The greatest error of many religions is that they exist solely to serve man's ego by arbitrarily giving him special significance, which serves to blind him from the above and places him within a confined, closed system within which he can feel comfortable and powerful.

From the (basic) reading I've done on quantum mechanics, I think we're approaching a time when the scientific and religious models may be able to merge. However, even when they do merge, it will still only apply to our particular level of reality in our particular universe, and not even come close to determining the entirety of 'existence'.

--------------------
Life is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: bryguy]
    #11122769 - 09/24/09 11:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I think we're approaching a time when the scientific and religious models may be able to merge. However, even when they do merge, it will still only apply to our particular level of reality in our particular universe, and not even come close to determining the entirety of 'existence'.

same

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#11122791 - 09/24/09 11:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RyeH said:
My question is...what is your religious stand point and why(if you feel like saying why)?

My religious standing could properly be defined as "sinner."

Thanks to being raised by atheist-rationalist parents, I essentially have an inborn belief that all things which are Right must also necessarily be Justifiably Right. For this reason, even though I would like to trust some spiritual practice (Buddhism being a great example of one such practice), I find myself unable to get into one. I do not doubt that positive results can be attained through spiritual practices, but when I start to investigate them I always discover an abhorrent lack of rational justification for WHY positive results should be expected. What justifications I can find have so far turned out to be unanimously esoteric and logically worthless.

I believe all that is, is explainable. Everything which exists exists by some process. What we call an explanation is only information about that process. Actually, it may be more accurate to say that all which exists IS some process. I exist, but there is absolutely no static me. It takes something like seven years for every cell in a person's body to die and be replaced -- therefore, anything you'd like to call a physical "me" cannot possibly exist for more than a few years. It is more realistic to say that I am an identifiable process, not a single entity.
Somewhere on YouTube is an Alan Watts video in which he suggests that, just as "a flame on a candle" might more accurately be called "a flaming OF the candle," a cat might more accurately be called a "catting" of its environment. The term "environment" may be misleading, because of course what's called the environment is really only a larger set of interrelated processes -- but I digress.
Everything is a process. By "everything" I mean Everything -- the whole universe. This process is easily divided into sub-processes and various identifiable semi-permanent "objects" by anyone who sets out purposefully to do so, but that doesn't change the fact that "we're all in this together" or "all is one" or however you want to say it.

A key point, perhaps THE key point, I haven't made explicitly clear. Now I will.

I believe that this process is ENTIRELY sensible. Put differently, "everything follows rules" -- though I dislike the way that sounds. The word "rule" implies an order to be enforced, which is to say, something which it is possible to disobey. The "rules of the universe" cannot be disobeyed. If they cannot be disobeyed, then really they can't be "obeyed" either. Thus, I prefer instead to simply say "the universe is entirely sensible."
And in a world which is inherently sensible, the only excuse for failure of explanation is failure of investigation.

Therefore, I find spiritual practices very interesting for their power to positively transform attitudes and behavior, but I sincerely doubt their "ultimate" wisdom because they offer no explanation of WHY their practices result in these improvements.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect that the alternative -- science -- is essentially just a large gentleman's club of arrogant rule-lovers, high on the smell of their own piss.

There has to be a middle ground somewhere -- or, perhaps, a higher one. I'll let you know when I get there.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: bryguy]
    #11122795 - 09/24/09 11:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bryguy said:
The greatest error of many religions is that they exist solely to serve man's ego by arbitrarily giving him special significance, which serves to blind him from the above and places him within a confined, closed system within which he can feel comfortable and powerful.

Wow...I feel you hit that...just wow, perfectly worded!

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.

Offlinefeifen

#11122827 - 09/24/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I am excited to die one day. I will be able to find out the truth myself or maybe I will find nothing at all.

Either way I am glad knowing I can die. I don't want to live forever unlike most people.

I believe the only truth is that there are no real set truths.

We have no purpose.

We have nothing..

Yet we strive on.

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Re: Do I dare?!??! lol dun dun dunnnn [Re: laserpig]
    #11122897 - 09/24/09 11:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

laserpig said:
Quote:

RyeH said:

My religious standing could properly be defined as "sinner."

Thanks to being raised by atheist-rationalist parents, I essentially have an inborn belief that all things which are Right must also necessarily be Justifiably Right. For this reason, even though I would like to trust some spiritual practice (Buddhism being a great example of one such practice), I find myself unable to get into one. I do not doubt that positive results can be attained through spiritual practices, but when I start to investigate them I always discover an abhorrent lack of rational justification for WHY positive results should be expected. What justifications I can find have so far turned out to be unanimously esoteric and logically worthless.

I believe all that is, is explainable. Everything which exists exists by some process. What we call an explanation is only information about that process. Actually, it may be more accurate to say that all which exists IS some process. I exist, but there is absolutely no static me. It takes something like seven years for every cell in a person's body to die and be replaced -- therefore, anything you'd like to call a physical "me" cannot possibly exist for more than a few years. It is more realistic to say that I am an identifiable process, not a single entity.
Somewhere on YouTube is an Alan Watts video in which he suggests that, just as "a flame on a candle" might more accurately be called "a flaming OF the candle," a cat might more accurately be called a "catting" of its environment. The term "environment" may be misleading, because of course what's called the environment is really only a larger set of interrelated processes -- but I digress.
Everything is a process. By "everything" I mean Everything -- the whole universe. This process is easily divided into sub-processes and various identifiable semi-permanent "objects" by anyone who sets out purposefully to do so, but that doesn't change the fact that "we're all in this together" or "all is one" or however you want to say it.

A key point, perhaps THE key point, I haven't made explicitly clear. Now I will.

I believe that this process is ENTIRELY sensible. Put differently, "everything follows rules" -- though I dislike the way that sounds. The word "rule" implies an order to be enforced, which is to say, something which it is possible to disobey. The "rules of the universe" cannot be disobeyed. If they cannot be disobeyed, then really they can't be "obeyed" either. Thus, I prefer instead to simply say "the universe is entirely sensible."
And in a world which is inherently sensible, the only excuse for failure of explanation is failure of investigation.

Therefore, I find spiritual practices very interesting for their power to positively transform attitudes and behavior, but I sincerely doubt their "ultimate" wisdom because they offer no explanation of WHY their practices result in these improvements.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect that the alternative -- science -- is essentially just a large gentleman's club of arrogant rule-lovers, high on the smell of their own piss.

There has to be a middle ground somewhere -- or, perhaps, a higher one. I'll let you know when I get there.

Alot of what you said, just somewhat explained what Buddha called "impermanence" and the nature of reality.  Most important is that there is no "I" nor is there "me".  It is an ego we have created which blinds us from the three root poisons; main one being ignorance on the nature of reality.

In the practice of Buddhism, the "reward" and "why" is the fact of when you release yourself from your attachments, you ultimately release yourself from anger.  Also with the enlightenment of the true nature of reality, things begin the perceive as phenomenons or "processes" and its known that they are a part of life, and when one fully understands that, they remove the suffering in life from with in, for it is no longer suffering, but....processes

The impermanence is the fact that nothing, I mean NOTHING last forever.

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order