Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Why is there War?
    #1108740 - 12/03/02 11:55 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

It's a simple question. Can anybody answer it?

And if you think you can answer that one, try to tackle this:

How could there not be war?

Just something I've been thinking about lately.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Why is there War? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1108743 - 12/03/02 11:57 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

There is war because people are afraid of eachother.

There could NOT be war if people weren't afraid of eachother.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Anonymous

#1108750 - 12/03/02 11:58 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Answer to question 1, it is man's nature.

Answer to question 2, when everyone is dead.

Fair enough?

Nice to see you posting again, btw. :smile:

Cheers,

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Why is there War? [Re: ]
    #1108778 - 12/04/02 12:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Fair enough?

I dunno... You guys gave your answers pretty quickly...
Are you sure you don't want to think about it some more?  :smile:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#1108816 - 12/04/02 12:24 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

No Steve, I have thought about the issue for about 40 years. I think I have my mind made up.

It will be interesting to see the other answers though.

Cheers,

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
    #1108910 - 12/04/02 12:58 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Wars are almost always about territory, religion and liberty are just excuses. 2nd circuit is territory, so there will be war as long as people are obedient to the primate brain.

There will be no more war when everyone is enlightened (like 6th circuit, way more enlightened than me.) Hm. . . how could we go about achieving this? LSD in the watersupply is the first thing that comes to mind.

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
    #1108933 - 12/04/02 01:07 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

People just aren't willing to accept the fact that different ideologies can exist together in peace.  They fear that one ideology may gain in popularity and eventually take over.  For example, why did we fear Communism so much?  Because we were afraid that someday Communism might spread to our own country, so we oppposed it at all costs.

I have a theory that war will end when the world finally ENCOURAGES different ideologies to coexist.  This world would have open borders in which everyone could move about freely as they liked.  If you didn't like the ideology of the country you're in, you could move to another country.  For example, if you didn't like communism, you could move to a capitalist country.  If one ideology became extremely popular, you would redraw borders to make the country with the popular ideology bigger.

Obviously, that's never going to happen, as no country would ever allow their borders to shrink without a fight.  And redrawing borders would piss the people off that had to move to stay in their ideal country.  But I think it would work, because people would no longer have any reason to fight.  If you didn't like something, you just move to be with like-minded people.  :laugh:     

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1108984 - 12/04/02 01:32 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I take Yoda's side in this.

Fear -> Mistrust -> Anger -> Violence -> War

I don't know...could war be prevented by removing one link in the chain? Maybe...but I think not. Unless you kill the roots, the weeds will grow back. Unfortunately fear is a basic human emotion, not something we are likely to get rid of as a species any time soon. Actually I think that any attempt to remove something as basic as fear from ourselves would destroy who we are as humans.

So how could we put a stop to war short of taking away our humanity? I don't think it's truely possible. Nor will it ever be. Mr_Mushrooms was right, war is part of humanity. The best I think we can do is to start worrying about our own problems first. I think that the more generally happy and content the people of a nation are, the less likely they are to find need to begin a conflict.

Now that I think about it, that's my solution. If we could all learn to deal with our own problems so that we don't take our anger out at other people, then this might be a happier place. And I think maybe it could even work, but I doubt it ever will.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Why is there War? [Re: trendal]
    #1109090 - 12/04/02 02:33 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

War happens when 1 group falsely believes they own something. Like when a religous group thinks they own the right to forcefully convert you. Or when they think they own land, any land.

What causes that belief is probly linked to religion most of the time.
For bush i might call capitalism a religion...

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1109120 - 12/04/02 02:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think war is a neccessary by product of human evolution. The males of many species engage in some form of combat and we are no different in that respect. However, we have evolved into a social animal so instead of two stags locking horns we have progressed from two guys with spears on to tribes going to war, to kingdoms, to countries and coalitions of countries at war.

War has spurred us on. Many technological breakthroughs have occured through war. Population would be out of control now if there had not been so many wars in the last 200 years or so. It is also a great way for natural selection to find the fittest specimens!

However, I dont think that it is a hardwired feature of the human. I think of the need for war as a software issue. i.e something that can be changed when neccessary.

The problem is the "mind" of the social animals that are locking horns. Tthe minds of most countries are at an adolescent level. Selfish, easily angered with no real concept of the future. You only need to look at the behaviour of most countries to confirm this! So when the collective mind is at this state war will be inevitable. Note I am not suggesting a collective mind that is transmitted by some paranormal medium Im just talking about group psychology.

There are many individuals in scoiety today for whom war is anathema. Im sure thats the case with a lot of the posters in these forums! Hopefully we represent on an indivdual level the next paradgim for the group level psychology. This is by no means garunteed. Mr Mushrooms may well be right, the only way war will end is when everyone is dead. Heres hoping he's wrong! We may not have too long to wait before we know the answer.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1109221 - 12/04/02 05:20 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The only way to stop the fighting is to......stop fighting. That's the only way. Just stop. Abracadabra. War over.

We have to create war for there to be war.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Why is there War? [Re: Revelation]
    #1109238 - 12/04/02 06:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Revelation makes a startlingly obvious point

I think that war is caused by many factors. The primary of which is miscommunication, and this idea that we are all seperate from each other. Then there are those who seek power over others and their land... well the answer is pretty simple. Get rid of power, and boundaries, and ego, and there will be no war.  :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Why is there War? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1109283 - 12/04/02 06:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You dont see war as a neccessary facet of human evolution then? :grin: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why is there War? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1109298 - 12/04/02 07:08 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I see it as a neccessary facet of human evolution in the primal state, but in an advanced infrastructure such as current times with space travel beginning to open up to us, information flow at an all time high, we need to be responsible. There is no need for war, it is time for the age of enlightenment. Peace, wisdom, and things of a learning nature are the order for the day.

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (12/04/02 07:09 AM)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Why is there War? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1109299 - 12/04/02 07:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, just seems the group mind is way behind at the moment. Going to be an interesting couple of years!

KEEP THE PEACE VIBES FLOWING! :grin: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why is there War? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1109314 - 12/04/02 07:35 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well if people keep pushing forward the others will catch up eventually  :grin: 

--------------------

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1109431 - 12/04/02 08:29 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Easy question - To keep the military industrial complex in power.

Harder question - Everybody gets killed in the previouse war?

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

InvisibleMetasyn
one

Loc: PNW
    #1109623 - 12/04/02 10:30 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

An interesting historical fact is that the fear of war is one of the most effective peacekeeping factors out there. Fear of nuclear annhilation prevented a war between the US and the Soviet Union. There has been relative peace in within the United States in the last 140 years, but this is only because there is fear of being taken over from outside. If the US were the entire world you'd be sure there would be territories breaking apart and fighting. So one way to stop war would be to have each country be in possession of a weapon that could destroy the planet. Everyone would be too afraid to start anything so there'd be relative peace, albeit fear based. An even better way would be to simply stop fighting ... but that's not going to happen.

Anonymous

Re: Why is there War? [Re: Metasyn]
    #1109936 - 12/04/02 12:54 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with one correction. In 1890, just 112 years ago Wounded Knee took place. This is certainly within the boundaries of the USA. This was not an isolated incident but the tail end of a bloody campaign of genocide that has marked the USA forever. The fact is they stole this land from the Natives who had been here 20,000 years.

Nearly 300 Natives lost their lives including men, women, and children in what must have been one of the worst acts of American predation in its history.

Wounded Knee, a wound that will not heal

WOKIKSUYE CANKPE OPI

Anonymous

#1110031 - 12/04/02 01:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I disgree with Mr. Mushrooms that war is human nature. I think human nature is good, but when humans are blinded by their "country", terrible things happen.

No one knows exactly why the first World War started. Did all the millions that died have a reason to fight other then because their country told them too? Nations are guilty of making people feel its ok to go to war and kill other human beings, when in fact, its not. Its the power of government, which blinds the truth and let humans slaughter eachother.

We are humans and much smarter than we act, we need to question more and act less and then maybe we will have a chance at establishing peace. If we understand that war is not necessary and achieves nothing, then I believe that we as a whole can eliminate it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder