Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Mycofilters
    #11088796 - 09/19/09 02:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone ever look at this? I've heard some talk (GGMM) about mycelium's ability to filter natural contaminants and metals, has anyone ever looked at this.

I'm considdering trying to look ad the viability of replicating Stamets' experience in an industrial setting.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Mycofilters [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11089126 - 09/19/09 03:25 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Check out Mycelium Running, also by Stamets.

Oyster and garden giants are especially suited to filtering farm waste run off and cut down on coliform bacteria numbers substantially.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycofilters [Re: Brennus]
    #11091937 - 09/20/09 12:12 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I had an experiment going this summer using colonized straw bales to filter manure runoff entering a creek.  The Department of Ecology came out twice and took fecal coliform readings.  The second reading was somewhat lower than the first for e-coli.  Then, another group of cows came around from the back side of the fence and ate all the myceliated straw before the State could take the end of season readings. :frown:  I'll have to repeat the experiments next season with concrete or some other barrier to prevent the damn cows from eating the filter.  I'm hoping to get a grant from the conservation district to offset some of the costs.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Mycofilters [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11092963 - 09/20/09 03:31 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I had an experiment going this summer using colonized straw bales to filter manure runoff entering a creek.  The Department of Ecology came out twice and took fecal coliform readings.  The second reading was somewhat lower than the first for e-coli.  Then, another group of cows came around from the back side of the fence and ate all the myceliated straw before the State could take the end of season readings. :frown:  I'll have to repeat the experiments next season with concrete or some other barrier to prevent the damn cows from eating the filter.  I'm hoping to get a grant from the conservation district to offset some of the costs.
RR

Did you use freshly colonized bales or blocks of spent substrate?

Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: Mycofilters [Re: Brennus]
    #11093605 - 09/20/09 09:36 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Just don't try to make money off it... Patents.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Mycofilters [Re: b3jamboree]
    #11104588 - 09/22/09 03:03 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

haha yea I better get that damned book. Moving makes it hard to order the fucking thing online though as well as no-longer having a credit card.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology