Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Liberalism [Re: Xlea321]
    #1103523 - 12/02/02 11:45 AM (19 years, 1 day ago)

whether a certain substance should be legal or not, is not applicable to the question of whether there needs to be authority(in a society).

Of course it is. Taking drugs is human behaviour. If we can give people the right to choose whether or not they can take drugs we can give them the right to choose how they live their lives in other ways.

Admittedly, the whole drug debate is an important one. It needs to be examined and better policies need to be brought into being(in my opinion). But, the question of whether people are allowed to ingest certain chemicals, is nowhere near as important as the question of how we will govern ourselves, interact with our fellow man, and maintain an economy. Only potheads seem to think the drug question is the most pressing thing in society.

Free-marketers are not destroying the world. People are.

On the contrary, I've just read a fascinating book about the millions of people all over the world rejecting corporate globalisation and creating their own lives and communities. There is hope, just not from the corporate marketeers. Our only limit is our own imagination. Things can be different.

I would be willing to bet that this book was hopelessly slanted toward the Left wing, but I digress.

The only way to ensure the complete safety, equality, and tranquility that liberals crave, is to control Mankind mercilessly. I would rather eat dirt and live in my own filth, than to live under a system or a mandatory communal attitude that dictated what I should do, how I should act, and what I should be.

But, that is what is great about America. We may not agree, but you can say what you want to say. You can pursue what you want. You can live your life in a manner which suits you. And, if you don't like the way things are, you can work to change it. Given that you don't like the way things are, or where they are headed, I suggest that you get to work.

RandalFlagg

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Liberalism [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1103546 - 12/02/02 12:01 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

But, the question of whether people are allowed to ingest certain chemicals, is nowhere near as important as the question of how we will govern ourselves, interact with our fellow man

It's not about whether we are "allowed" to ingest certain chemicals. It's about personal freedoms.

The only way to ensure the complete safety, equality, and tranquility that liberals crave, is to control Mankind mercilessly.

This sounds like a line from Mein Kampf. I must beg to differ.

But, that is what is great about America. We may not agree, but you can say what you want to say.

Try telling that to Bill Hicks after the Letterman fiasco.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1103753 - 12/02/02 01:28 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

You can say what you want cuz realistically the voice of free-thinking people usually doesn't amount to shit and the government knows that. And if it does gain momentum like during the hippy era.. Simple, just change the laws so they become criminals and throw 'em in jail.

Pot-smokers are technically collaborating with terrorists now, arent they?

I'm not saying we don't have the power to change all this, just trying to put things in perspective.
I see the power the people have is majority vs. minority. We simply have the brute force if we really all want to make a change. Our 'government approved freedoms' have nothing to do with it.
They'd trod all over our freedoms if they thought they could get away with it, but they need our support so they gotta molest our nation's morale with bullshit lies.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #1103754 - 12/02/02 01:28 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

But, the question of whether people are allowed to ingest certain chemicals, is nowhere near as important as the question of how we will govern ourselves, interact with our fellow man

It's not about whether we are "allowed" to ingest certain chemicals. It's about personal freedoms.

I reiterate: if you don't like how things are, work to change them.

I guess we must agree to disagree. I will however leave you with some advice. I posted the following in a thread about a year ago in the political discussion forum:

I am not accusing you of the following, but I feel that you should be made aware of a phenomenon that I have noticed when dealing with "underground" or "alternative" forms of thinking or ideologies. When I stumbled upon anarchist thought, all of the ideas had such an appeal to me. These were ideas that sounded good on paper and that claimed to have the "answer" for mankind. Imagine how my teenaged ego inflated when I thought of how enlighted I was and how "backward" the masses were.

I viewed the world through an ideological tint, instead of viewing reality as an unbiased observer. In many situations, I failed to see clearly, for my various ideologies were blinding and binding me. Instead of sorting the world out for myself, I, without hesitation absorbed some "enlightened" theories of the geniuses of anarchism, free-thought, and anti-religion(basically, anything Left Wing). Instead of defining myself, these ideas defined who I was. As I matured, I realized that I was nothing more than an unoriginal patchwork quilt of various scraps that I had picked up. Almost as if I had picked my ideas off of a shelf at a store, like I would a box of cereal. I realized that I personally had done little to contribute to who I was. I had merely adopted whatever had happened to be around me and that sounded halfway decent. Don't let ideologies and philosophies blind and control you, as they did to me.

RandalFlagg

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Liberalism [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1103780 - 12/02/02 01:38 PM (19 years, 1 day ago)

Thats awesome advice, Randall, that i bet alot of people should really take to heart.

The thing I do is always question myself just as much as the ideas around me. Cuz that's what I am, a bunch of ideas, and what good are my ideas if they aren't as much honest unbiased truth as possible?

I've noticed the trend in the counter-culture as well...  It's a place people can feel comfortable and powerful in just like any other group. ive found myself sinking into that ego hole a few times, as well.

But it's so much cooler on the outside  :tongue:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1106443 - 12/03/02 08:44 AM (19 years, 22 hours ago)

"Try telling that to Bill Hicks after the Letterman fiasco."

That was network television, no the government, and it wasn't that he was speaking some never before heard truth, he was making fun of pro-lifers.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Liberalism [Re: Phluck]
    #1106655 - 12/03/02 11:36 AM (19 years, 19 hours ago)

One of the reasons it was banned was the pro-lifers had paid for an advert that was going to run in the break.

As Bill himself said "Freedom of speech for those with the money to pay for it".

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1106929 - 12/03/02 01:39 PM (19 years, 17 hours ago)

As Bill himself said "Freedom of speech for those with the money to pay for it".

Bill Hicks was a comedian. Comedians distort and exaggerate for comic effect. Hicks had the constitutional right to air his views on any street corner in the US, or to print up his views and distribute them as leaflets or on a website, or to buy a radio or television station and broadcast his views to whoever had the equipment to pick up his signal.

He didn't need to spend a dime in order to exercise his right to speak freely, but he would have had to invest some money if he wanted to broadcast to the widest possible audience. This is true even of those who AREN'T expressing views considered controversial.

Free speech and free airtime are not equivalent.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Liberalism [Re: Phred]
    #1107527 - 12/03/02 05:13 PM (19 years, 14 hours ago)

Bill Hicks was a comedian.

Well he was a lot more than that. We're not exactly talking Bob Hope..

Comedians distort and exaggerate for comic effect.

It wasn't a joke. He said it during an interview he gave near the end of his life.

or to buy a radio or television station and broadcast his views to whoever had the equipment to pick up his signal.

Phew, so all we need for free speech is our own TV station. Cool, I'll pick one up tomorrow.

air his views on any street corner in the US

He'd have to shout pretty loud. I'm 3000 miles away.

Free speech and free airtime are not equivalent.

In other words the only people who can get their views across to the vast majority of the american people are the rich. That's kinda what Bill said in the first place...

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Cultivation Supplies