Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedesiretoheal
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: Darkestone]
    #11097102 - 09/20/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Darkestone said:
Oh, and ICP's "the great malinko" 
J/K!! I hate ICP. God please don't ban me.:facepalm:

--------------------
If there were no rewards to reap,No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here,I certainly would've walked away by now.
Gonna wait it out.
If there were no desire to heal The damaged and broken met along
This tedious path I've chosen hereI certainly would've walked away by now.
And I still may ... (sigh) ... I still may.Be patient.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: desiretoheal]
    #11097117 - 09/20/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I took my GF to the zoo today and saw some juggalos there.

It was pretty lulzy.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlineant61
Male

Loc: colorado
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: tempingasashaman]
    #11097573 - 09/20/09 10:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

anyone notice that all the really great recording are 30.40 years old.
that says alot to world of music today , and the world we live in today, fuckin hip hop and corporate bullshit driving this so called new music.i mean three four hundred years ago musicians were actual musicians!

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: ant61]
    #11097584 - 09/20/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:facepalm:

I have a disc of English street music from the 16th century. TRUST ME, it's way worse than The Streets of the 21st century.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Offlineant61
Male

Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: lukeboots]
    #11097598 - 09/20/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

least they could play an instrument !
and read music.

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: ant61]
    #11098045 - 09/20/09 11:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ant61 said:
anyone notice that all the really great recording are 30.40 years old.
that says alot to world of music today , and the world we live in today, fuckin hip hop and corporate bullshit driving this so called new music.i mean three four hundred years ago musicians were actual musicians!

I don't think that's necessarily true.

I don't think you're looking hard enough for the good music of today. There's plenty of it out there, it's just all hiding from you because most people don't want to listen to it.

If you want classic rock though, you have to look into the past, because that music is of the past. If you want classical or jazz, look to the past. Funk and soul are all behind us. You have to be accepting of the styles to really enjoy new music, and I'm not talking about hip hop type stuff either.

It's there man, music is great and more people than you imagine are keeping the traditions alive. If you looked harder you'd be surprised what you'd find.

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

Offlineant61
Male

Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: tempingasashaman]
    #11098736 - 09/21/09 04:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i agree there are some wonderful musician making music today , mainly in the traditional field's, but even in the sixties, popular music took the scope of talent and expressing music up a notch, and threw out the last century every decade raised the bar so to speak for musician's and music , IMO,i am a musician, i consider myself a modern musician. and this so called new art-form is regurgitated and borrow for everything of the past with lyrics over it disguised as music . i also see hype disguised as creating music. IMO

Offlinestickygreennpurp
Are You Experienced?
Male

Loc: Southeast US
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: Sunny]
    #11100964 - 09/21/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sunny said:
Band of Gypsys/Live at the Filmore East is probably the best album of all time.

Definitely one of the best live albums ever. That band was ON FIRE that night. If you want to be tripped out or listen to a complete "work of art", listen to his studio stuff. But if you just want to hear him shred and play with a GREAT band, that IS the album to listen to.

--------------------
God.WEEN.Satan

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

#11101297 - 09/21/09 04:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ant61 said:
i agree there are some wonderful musician making music today , mainly in the traditional field's, but even in the sixties, popular music took the scope of talent and expressing music up a notch, and threw out the last century every decade raised the bar so to speak for musician's and music , IMO,i am a musician, i consider myself a modern musician. and this so called new art-form is regurgitated and borrow for everything of the past with lyrics over it disguised as music . i also see hype disguised as creating music. IMO

In the 60's and 70's the music business wasn't any less attracted to making money. The only difference is the ability to make and record music. Only the people with merit were allowed in. Today, anyone can record, and anyone can play guitar, and anyone can play and put on a show. Talent finders are really looking for the later; a good show. If a band can put on a good show they're in. It's unfortunate but it's almost better.

Would you rather all your favorite bands of today be on a major label, or keeping it real on a little one? Would you rather them be driven by the money and fame or the soul of music?

You sir, need to look past the major labels and the commercials and find the true world of musicians resting underground. We're still out there, keeping off the beaten track. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#11101342 - 09/21/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

There was a ton of shitty music popular in the 60's too.

The Fucking Monkees sold more records in some years than the Beatles.

The Fucking Monkees.

Come on.

All of this misplaced nostalgia is just pie-in-the-sky idealism and pining for a time that didn't exist.

In 50 years nobody is going to remember Ne-O, or Soulja Boy, or fucking My Morning Jacket.

They're going to remember the good music, just as we remember the good music from the 60s while forgetting all the stupid and vile stuff that existed.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
    #11101343 - 09/21/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You wanna go through my dad's record collection with my sometime and pick out all the artists that sold records because they had hits but didn't have staying power because they sucked?
Then you can tell me how "Only the people with merit were allowed in."
Sure pop music sucks, but it always has. There are a few good artists from every era that were popular.

(Edit: I realize ant said this, not you underaroof: And if you are tired of listening to artists who can't read music or play an instrument then listen to different shit. There is so much music out there it's ridiculous.)

I would rather my favorite artists were on major labels doing what they do now. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen and I understand that. Part of the appeal of major recording artists is moderation. Moderate music, as with anything else, is the most popular because it can draw from the widest audience. It makes sense really.

As with every period (minus the 80s :hehehe:) the world of music is getting better and better.

--------------------
!

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: jewunit]
    #11101568 - 09/21/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
As with every period (minus the 80s :hehehe:) the world of music is getting better and better.

I used to think the same thing about the 80s, but really I hadn't dug far enough into the music of the time to really be able to say it was a bad era. It was an advancing time into electronic fueled music, but still very good when it was good.

I'm adding Remain in Light - Talking Heads to my list of top music. Such a solid album

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#11101602 - 09/21/09 05:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I don't really think that about the 80s.
Tons of highly influential groups came out in the 80s, some of which went relatively unnoticed until this decade.

--------------------
!

OfflineTaco Chef
I found dead John Cheever
Male User Gallery

Loc: the city of dis
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: jewunit]
    #11101797 - 09/21/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
I don't really think that about the 80s.
Tons of highly influential groups came out in the 80s, some of which went relatively unnoticed until this decade.

joy division
the smiths
new order
the happy mondays
madness
the church
public enemy
echo and the bunnymen
onigo boingo (dany elfman)

just for starters....the really popular music of the 80's was horribly terrible, but the 'sub' scenes that developed away from hair metal and freesytle club music has had great influence on today's music....try to imagine interpol with out joy division..

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: Taco Chef]
    #11101803 - 09/21/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

They'd probably sound better :tongue:
Post-punk isn't really my thing.

I'm not denying the influence of the 80s though.

--------------------
!

OfflineTaco Chef
I found dead John Cheever
Male User Gallery

Loc: the city of dis
    #11101876 - 09/21/09 05:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, the whole decade thing doesn't really work for categorizing music anymore...

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: Taco Chef]
    #11102117 - 09/21/09 06:39 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Anent the whole discussion regarding the 60s, 70s being so great.  Madtown is 100% correct.  There was plenty of crap.  I was at a lumberyard once and some guy was saying that the houses built 100+ years ago were built better than the houses today.  I pointed out to him that all the shitty houses built 100+ years ago have fallen down and the only ones left are the ones that were built well.  Time has a way of selecting for quality.

--------------------

OfflineDarkestone
One of Them
 User Gallery

Loc: On healing wings
Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #11104830 - 09/22/09 02:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SneezingPenis said:
Quote:

Darkestone said:
Sublime-Gold,
Tool-Undertow(and everything else they ever did-EVER):discodance:
Rehab-Grafitti the world.
Afroman-Afroholic
Pink Floyd-The Wall
As I lay Dying-An Ocean Between Us(even though I just found out they are a "Christian band")
Each for diff. reasons:biggrin:

really? afroman? are you fucking serious... i wasnt looking to flame anyone in this thread, but you are a fucking idiot.

Hey, man, it's my OPINION.
You know what that is, right?  Have you even listened to any of his albums?  If nothing else they are great chillin records and they make me laugh. 
Maybe putting him in this thread was a bit much considering the musical talent of the other bands but no need to call someone an idiot.  I'm sure you've even listened to some pretty shitty stuff yourself.  Maybe you have even been really high before and strayed off topic just a tad.  I was feeling good at the time so afroman sounded good. 
Point is:  You're not fucking perfect so quit judging me.  Also try using caps and correct punctuation when you call someone an idiot.  Otherwise your claim's kind of voided automatically.:awesome:

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: Darkestone]
    #11105047 - 09/22/09 05:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Eh.

Putting an Afroman record in the thread of the "Best Records Ever" probably opens you up to being called an idiot.

--------------------

Offlineant61
Male

Re: An album better than the White Album does not exist (prove me wrong) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #11105837 - 09/22/09 10:47 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

everyone's post are very interseting, the white album is one of the best studio recorded record's ever!
band of Gypsy is the best live record I've ever heard. those two night in 69/70 new years eve jimi and the boy's were hot!
and i love all music.but the question of the white album and  it's impact, i have to agree with the original post, it's a flawless recording IMO.
long live rock!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order