Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShpongloid
WBS-o-phile

Dry Cakes? How to Tell?
    #1105118 - 12/02/02 09:37 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Hey all, I made 2 batches of substrate for 12 1/2 pint canning jars. Of the 12, I feel that 6 may be too dry and the other 6 just dandy! How do you tell if the substrate is too dry and how dry is too dry? The two batches of mixture that I made held there shape when squeezed, with no excess water dripping out. What are some of your methods for judging the right moisture in your substrate? How can I fix the problem if it is too dry (I already sterilized)?

Thanks Guys and Gals, I don't know what I'd do without you!

--------------------
"...NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: Dry Cakes? How to Tell? [Re: Shpongloid]
    #1105136 - 12/02/02 09:43 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

when you pack substrate into your jars notice the bottom of the jars. When the bottom appears moist and has a grey like sludge on it, then this implies extra moisture and thus your water content was too high. I like the bottom of my jars to look exactly like the sides. They should have a slightly wet or damp look where the verm or BR flour parts press on the glass, but not a collective sloppy look to them. I've never had any luck with the extra water techniques so I abandoned them. The first couple of tries it just took an extra long time to colonize so screw it. I use 1/4 cup of water. Fill it to the max though.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: Dry Cakes? How to Tell? [Re: Shpongloid]
    #1105148 - 12/02/02 09:47 PM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Another thing. When mixing substrate if you do each jar individually then you will have less problems. Sometimes you have some pooling water in a bunch of BR flour and when you plop in the vermiculite, obviously the fully submerged verm reaches 100% saturation when perhaps some does not when it gets exposed to the water by mixing with a spoon. I do them one at a time. Remember to measure the table legs from one original leg. Good luck grasshopper.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation