Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Shroomery Certified Advice giver
    #1100277 - 12/01/02 02:40 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Here at the shroomery, one of the main goals is to help stop the spread of misinformation. In the cultivation forums, there is often misinfo posted, often by newbies to cultivation.

While I realize that the moderators of the cult. forum(s), as well as other members do their best at correcting and inhibiting misinformation, it is still out there. What I was thinking about is something like a 'certified advice giver' or something along those lines. This could be a little title or pic, something under the number of posts or whatever, just to indicate that said poster actually knows something about cultivation and/or mycology.

This could be achieved by taking a test online here at the shroomery concerning cult/myco, and passing with a score of over 85% or whatever. The test could be setup by the mods and some of the more apparent experts here. Maybe the test could be restricted so that a user could only take the test every two months or so. The test could show a rating out of five or something similar to the user-rating mushrooms, maybe blue mushrooms or something.

While this will not stop the spread of misinfo, I would hope it would help newbies, and maybe even some semi-vetrans in decision making concerning cult. techniques. Say for example you are a newbie to cult. and you post a question, say about temps or whatever, it doesn't really matter. You get two replies to your question. One poster who has 1234 posts and has been here 8 months posts something completely wrong. The other poster has 75 posts and has been here a week, but nails the question. If you were the newbie, who would you believe?

I am not sure if there would be any legal problems with this or not. Furthermore, I am not sure if there would be issues with the code for the board, and I am not sure if there would be a way to do this. What do you guys think?

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Shroomery Certified Advice giver [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1102510 - 12/01/02 11:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thats not a bad idea :smile:

We could create a banner that they would put in their signature so that users could see that person is available to answer questions.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Shroomery Certified Advice giver [Re: Thor]
    #1102549 - 12/01/02 11:49 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks! I am glad you liked it. I was starting to think it was a dumb idea. :wink:

It could go in the banner, and that was also a thought, but my concern was that it could easily be copied and put into one's signature without actually proving one's knowledge. On the flipside, I imagine it would be a lot easier to implement if it were to go in one's signature instead of having to rewrite a lot of code for something like this to work. 

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #1102740 - 12/02/02 12:34 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.  :grin:

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #1102769 - 12/02/02 12:42 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The thing is to find the right people who would be willing to have lots of PMs thrown their way from people needing help :smile:

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1102901 - 12/02/02 01:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know if you are quite getting the gist of what I am saying, though I like your idea as well. The title may be a bit of a misnomer.

What I am proposing something like a mycology rating, or a special title or something similar, that a user earns by taking a test concerning mycology and cultivation information. Say for example, right under one's avatar, or under the user rating, there would be a set of mushrooms, the same as the user rating except blue. You take a/the test when you first arrive and score poorly. Zero blue mushrooms for you. You must wait two months before you take it again, and in that time you study, read the board, the FAQs, etc. You take the test again, scoring sufficiently, and earning a score of 3 (out of a possible 5) blue mushrooms. Again you study, learn, etc., and over time work your way up the ladder to a full 5.

I would hope that this would help distinguish those members who know what they are talking about, from those who don't. While it may be apparent to some who are knowledgeable, it is not always obvious, especially to those who aren't as knowledgeable. Furthermore, it takes away from the importance of post count, registration date, and user rating, which a user may confuse with credibility. In my short time here I have seen some members join up, and though they have not been here a full month, or have not made over 30 posts, they obviously know their stuff. Conversely I have seen members that have been here for months, made well over 1000 posts, and still post basic cult./myco questions, and offer up wrong advice. My suggestion, I believe, would help add credibility to a poster, especially in the cultivation forums. Maybe it would also give users an incentive to learn.  :cool:

I like your idea as well. But as you said, we may be hard pressed to find users that would enjoy being inundated with questions every day.

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1102989 - 12/02/02 01:36 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Anonymous

#1103248 - 12/02/02 05:31 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

nice idea. online testing always interested me. how would u administer the test? would the test be broken down into different area's of expertise? hunting, cultivation, mycology etc. ? would a time limit be placed on this test? if not, how would the administrators of the test know if ur working from notes? i'm still on a learning curve here... but i already have good idea whose posts i want to read...

maybe there should be members of the forum selected who demonstrate obvious levels of skills and knowledge already. posting this handle list would seem to be ok... allow them to have control of the blue mushroom rating... when it is obvious to that group someone has kicked it up a notch in knowledge, their blue shroom rating is adjusted. post something silly and ur rating changes through a well managed board. once u reach a level of performance, u recieve a master rating... like in chess, u make ur norm and then u become a master by impressing the masters

i saw a brilliant members mushroom rating tank because he had an unpopular political point of veiw... if anyone needs mushrooms, u can have mine... take em' that rating is whim...

just my thoughts... it's a good idea that should be persued... peace

InvisibleShaw

#1103298 - 12/02/02 06:48 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I like the idea. I know a hell of alot about mycology, and started lurking about 2 yrs ago, but usually carry a one shroom rating because of disagreements and off topic posts.
I'd like to get cirtified somehow.

--------------------

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #1104386 - 12/02/02 03:21 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm. This idea just popped in my head, not sure how difficult it would be to implement... Maybe redo the cult forum so that anyone can make a new post (ask a question) but only approved members and the original poster can reply to the post. That would prevent a lot of people just repeating something they heard a couple days ago instead of something they learned from research or experience. I think this would help, but like I said, it would probably take some UBB hacking and you would still need a system to see who is approved to answer. Maybe add a forum called "Newbie Cultivation" that would use this system, with a description indicating that it is for virgin cultivators to ask basic questions. It would also need a sticky post stressing to REALLY read through the FAQ before posting. Then "Mushroom Cultivation" could be used for people who have done a basic grow and want to discuss other methods or debate the pros/cons of different methods. It all sounds like a big hassle, but at least newbies could start out on the right track before reading and getting all confused as when they ask a question, and one person answers, then someone else replies with saying the opposite, because they "read" or "heard" about someone doing it that way, and they haven't actually researched or experimented themselves. Man that was a long sentence. Anyways, my idea needs work, but I do think that something should be done to try to clear up some clutter and confusion in the cult forum.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Shroomery Certified Advice giver [Re: Shaw]
    #1104815 - 12/02/02 06:01 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

To my knowlege INFOPOP, the people who distribute these goards do not supply that feature.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Anonymous

Re: Shroomery Certified Advice giver [Re: StS]
    #1105278 - 12/02/02 08:29 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

5 shrooms for the treetoker!

InvisibleShaw

Re: Shroomery Certified Advice giver [Re: StS]
    #1106424 - 12/03/02 06:06 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think there would be enough "cirtified" people to handle all the dumbass questions they ask.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck