Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleConservationist
Stranger
Liberals are just secular Christians
    #11024803 - 09/08/09 10:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Seriously, other than the existence of god, what differences in belief do they have?

* We're all equal under the skin
* The meek shall inherit the earth
* We are judged by moral rectitude not competence
* We can make our society more godlike/progressive.

It's the same shit, in different packaging. Glad I'm not either, although as a Hindu I am technically also Christian.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: Conservationist]
    #11024901 - 09/08/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The intersection of politics and religion is where intelligent discussion goes to die.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

InvisibleGI_Luvmoney
Vote Republican!
 User Gallery

Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: thedefone]
    #11035018 - 09/10/09 03:39 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #11035186 - 09/10/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Conservationist said:
Seriously, other than the existence of god, what differences in belief do they have?

It's the same shit, in different packaging. Glad I'm not either, although as a Hindu I am technically also Christian.

:lolz0rz:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleThePheonix
FormerlyKnownAsWunBadMoFo

Loc: ThePheonixIsEverywhere
Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: Poid]
    #11035343 - 09/10/09 04:48 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's absurd to even try to label myself a liberal or conservative. There are certain points that I agree with with each side. I would think that most people would feel the same way.

For example I am for legalization, but against abortion.
I believe in taxing the rich, but am anti gun control.
I think the war in the middle east is a good thing that needs to be done.
I'm a christian, but i believe in the separation of church and state.

This maybe off topic, but i find it amazing that people lean towards a certain set of morals, based on a label they choose.

--------------------

Products of a Dyin Breed

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL, USA
Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: ThePheonix]
    #11035908 - 09/10/09 06:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ThePheonix said:
I think it's absurd to even try to label myself a liberal or conservative. There are certain points that I agree with with each side. I would think that most people would feel the same way.

For example I am for legalization, but against abortion.
I believe in taxing the rich, but am anti gun control.
I think the war in the middle east is a good thing that needs to be done.
I'm a christian, but i believe in the separation of church and state.

This maybe off topic, but i find it amazing that people lean towards a certain set of morals, based on a label they choose.

Nobody is for abortion in the sense that we should be encouraging it as much as possible. It's almost always a difficult decision that requires more than ideological tools to be comfortable with. There are also concerns about people who are raped or victims of incest. If abortion is totally outlawed, their ability to determine their own future is incredibly diminished.

If you think abortion should be a banned procedure (illegal), how do you reconcile that with your belief in the separation of church and state?

Furthermore, to the OP, people who consider themselves Christians do not necessarily believe we are all equal under the skin. I'm sure you can think of more than a few salient examples.

InvisibleThePheonix

Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: THC Titan]
    #11035978 - 09/10/09 06:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

If you think abortion should be a banned procedure (illegal), how do you reconcile that with your belief in the separation of church and state?

I believe abortion should be banned unless it is ordered by a licensed medical professional such a s a doctor or a psychiatrist. I believe there should have to be a very good reason for it to be done. Rape is one. Even a poor financial situation could be a reason. But it shouldn't be as easy as take a number.:2cents:

But these beliefs are hard to agrue from my point of view, as the are based on my belief in god and life being sacred. I know that my argument is moot to someone who doesn't believe in god.

Also, it should appeal to all human beings that murder is wrong. You don't have to be a christian to belive that.

--------------------

Products of a Dyin Breed

Edited by ThePheonix (09/10/09 06:39 PM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11036014 - 09/10/09 06:42 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ThePheonix said:
I believe abortion should be banned unless it is ordered by a licensed medical professional such a s a doctor or a psychiatrist.

Well, I don't give a fuck what you believe, and I'll be damned if you wanna force your beliefs onto me.

What in the fuck does a psychiatrist have to do with abortion? :what:

Quote:

ThePheonix said:
I believe there should have to be a very good reason for it to be done. Rape is one. Even a poor financial situation could be a reason. But it shouldn't be as easy as take a number.:2cents:

Should this, should that...:whatever:

Quote:

ThePheonix said:
But these beliefs are hard to agrue from my point of view, as the are based on my belief in god and life being sacred. I know that my argument is moot to someone who doesn't believe in god.

Well, keep your wildly imaginative BS outside of governmental politics, ok? :glittershitz:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleThePheonix

#11036046 - 09/10/09 06:48 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Uhhh. You sound kind of agitated dude. I was just stating my point of view. Answering a question that was asked. I wasn't forcing anything on anyone.

I'm sorry you aren't capable of having an intelligent conversation with out letting your confusion distort you emotions.

--------------------

Products of a Dyin Breed

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11036079 - 09/10/09 06:52 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineTaco Chef
I found dead John Cheever
Male User Gallery

Loc: the city of dis
    #11036087 - 09/10/09 06:52 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Conservationist said:

:curbyourenthusiasm::curbyourenthusiasm:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: THC Titan]
    #11038757 - 09/11/09 05:25 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

> Nobody is for abortion in the sense that we should be encouraging it as much as possible.

Why not?  Seems to be an effective means of population control.  Look at China for a real life example of encouraged (and mandatory) abortion in practice.

> Glad I'm not either, although as a Hindu I am technically also Christian.

Hindu's believe in one god and believe that jesus, his son, is the only path to salvation?  Wow, I learned something new today.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSombie
Moonrock eater

Loc: Stafford, Virginia
    #11039930 - 09/11/09 11:25 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ThePheonix said:
Quote:

I believe abortion should be banned unless it is ordered by a licensed medical professional such a s a doctor or a psychiatrist. I believe there should have to be a very good reason for it to be done. Rape is one. Even a poor financial situation could be a reason. But it shouldn't be as easy as take a number.:2cents:

Also, it should appeal to all human beings that murder is wrong. You don't have to be a christian to belive that.

I'm not going on record as pro-choice or pro-life here, but I want to point out that people can believe that all life is sacred while still being pro-choice. The real question is when does life begin, and when does HUMAN life begin.

Those are the issues in contention, not (at least for most) if life is important or not.

Also, since you believe that all life is sacred, I assume you are against capital punishment?

Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering.

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." - Hunter S Thompson

Check out Agio

Follow my NFL Blog

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11039961 - 09/11/09 11:31 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Great, you're back! Now, let met point out to you what a fucking stupid idiot you are:
Quote:

Uhhh. You sound kind of agitated dude. I was just stating my point of view. Answering a question that was asked. I wasn't forcing anything on anyone.

How does this stupid shit have anything to do with the discussion at hand?

If you merge your imaginitive beliefs with your political ideals, then you are essentially imposing your nonsense on everyone in this country.

Quote:

ThePheonix said:
I'm sorry you aren't capable of having an intelligent conversation with out letting your confusion distort you emotions

Are you fucking serious? You're telling me this, yet you yourself have refused to address any of my points (with the exception of your imposition of beliefs on others)? :tard:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineSombie
Moonrock eater

Loc: Stafford, Virginia
    #11041099 - 09/11/09 02:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, man, calm down.

This is why I won't come out either pro-choice or pro-life in public.

Either you are a heartless, souless baby killer, or you are a sexist, extremist trying to put your laws on someone else's body.

There seems to be simply no room for honest discussion, only yelling and fighting.

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." - Hunter S Thompson

Check out Agio

Follow my NFL Blog

InvisibleThePheonix

Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: Sombie]
    #11042064 - 09/11/09 06:08 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The real question is when does life begin, and when does HUMAN life begin.

This would differ for everyone, I believe human life starts when the heart starts to beat.

Quote:

Also, since you believe that all life is sacred, I assume you are against capital punishment?

I am against capital punishment, but not for that reason. I'm against capital punishment because I think it's to possible to execute an innocent person.

But I guess this is off topic. I just find it odd how one can label themselves and then force themselves to believe a certain weay because they are a "liberal" or "conservative" maybe it's just me.

I wonder what that guy with the bad attitude labels himself.

--------------------

Products of a Dyin Breed

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
    #11042852 - 09/11/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Liberal!:bigblunt:

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#11043266 - 09/11/09 10:11 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Now, let met point out to you what a fucking stupid idiot you are:

God told me to tell you to switch to uncaffeinated coffee. :tongue:

Seriously, stop with the flames.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: zorbman]
    #11044990 - 09/12/09 06:44 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

He has with the help of a ban.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleGI_Luvmoney
Vote Republican!
 User Gallery

Re: Liberals are just secular Christians [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #11046510 - 09/12/09 01:20 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom